AoS 2 - Ogor Mawtribe Discussion

AthelLoren

Ogor Mawtribes Poll  

503 members have voted

1. 1. What tier do you feel Ogors are pre-battletome?

• High-tier
    • Mid-tier
    • Low-tier
  2. 2. What kind of army will you be running?

• Entirely Gutbusters
    • Mostly Gutbusters
    • Mixed forces
    • Mostly Beastclaw Raiders
    • Entirely Beastclaw Raiders

The Sons of Behemat stole our Might Makes Right trick.  I figured they would but darn it, that's our big advantage over others.  How can the Ogors deal with them with what we know of their rules?  They'll be kicking objectives all over the place and strongly competing for model count with the Stonehorns/Thundertusks; while dealing tons of damage at rend-2/-3.

The Mancrushers (little gargants) I'm not super worried about though I think they can run and charge somehow, and be given boulders to throw.  But at a 5+ save and 12 wounds each, not super hard to remove and they don't seem that scary in combat.  

But the Megas are much more resilient, even with say 2 or 3 monstrous trample charges into their knees, plus a FLoSH striking after the charge, not sure they wouldn't get a big bashing right back.  Even with a 3+/5++ I think the FLoSH would be dead.

Still, vs many other armies I think we can fair very well with a variety of builds.  Just getting my thinkin' cap on while finally painting my Goremand.

2 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

The Sons of Behemat stole our Might Makes Right trick.  I figured they would but darn it, that's our big advantage over others. 

I never felt outnumbered for objectives in my games. But I play a few bigger units not msu. 
so I’m not that worried that the might makes right bonus for the mega gargants will be that big of a deal. It’s fluffy as well, so alway a big plus imo. 

They'll be kicking objectives all over the place and strongly competing for model count with the Stonehorns/Thundertusks; while dealing tons of damage at rend-2/-3.

Im curious about that rule. I’m kinda expecting it not being that big of a deal. Say you set a single ogor in the exact middle of an objective. 
the gargant player needs to end a move in range, survive the turn, then a possible double, then roll a 8 or higher to get it out of range. and say they do all that. They can only do it once to every objective. Can’t do it more than to four objectives, as they can’t take more than four models with that rule due to points. 
How many battleplans with four of less objectives? 

But the Megas are much more resilient, even with say 2 or 3 monstrous trample charges into their knees, plus a FLoSH striking after the charge, not sure they wouldn't get a big bashing right back. 

This will be the big thing, I think. Can we outmanoeuvre to gang up on them. 

Even with a 3+/5++ I think the FLoSH would be dead.

Also to put your heart at ease. Vs the Kraken eater, which seems the monster killer but without artefacts. 

958EA4D1-AA00-4DCD-833B-E2D147AEF5BC.png.70e78d24b0173a8e8512bc751c07cb69.png

this is the damage spread of a full health Kraken Eater before the 5+ after save on the stone horn. So you have the biggest chance of suffering 5,3 damage. That’s without charge damage and all of that both ways. But in the end, our stone horn is still very survivable. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Also to put your heart at ease. Vs the Kraken eater, which seems the monster killer but without artefacts. 

958EA4D1-AA00-4DCD-833B-E2D147AEF5BC.png.70e78d24b0173a8e8512bc751c07cb69.png

this is the damage spread of a full health Kraken Eater before the 5+ after save on the stone horn. So you have the biggest chance of suffering 5,3 damage. That’s without charge damage and all of that both ways. But in the end, our stone horn is still very survivable. 

Very interesting indeed.  I'm more at ease now :)

I've always liked more small model count armies, and have felt outnumbered more often than I'd like, especially using my Bullgor army.  Might Makes Right is what sealed my deal to the Mawtribes after their book came out (that and the good deal I got on my starter models).

With good application of spells and lucky Slaughtermaster pickins' I think we'll be giving the gargants a good game.  They can unbind like 1 spell at most, so that's a fair weakness they have.

59 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I've always liked more small model count armies, and have felt outnumbered more often than I'd like, especially using my Bullgor army.  Might Makes Right is what sealed my deal to the Mawtribes after their book came out (that and the good deal I got on my starter models

Yeah Ogors are what bullhorns should have been. Hitting on threes, charge damage, etc. That is a missed chance. But it seems they learned from it and applied those learning to Ogors. Now it’s just a matter of time before BoC get a redo.

Regarding gargants. I’m firmly in the camp that expects them not to be good. It’s just to hard to balance something that far off the norm. If they overshot it, then I’m convinced it will be a KO on launch scenario. A heavy nerf at the first update. 

okay rephrasing. I don’t expect them to be competitive tournament winning. Because they are so far from the norm, some armies will have little chance while other will be brilliant against them. 

Edited by Kramer

12 hours ago, Sartxac said:

Hi colleagues, i have problems fighting Seraphon with boulderhead. My enemy summon a lot of screens and i can't do nothing. For other part the Bastilodons are extraordinary tanky. Any idea for  fight them?image.gif

What kind of Boulderhead list are you running? That will determine the tools you have available.

Generally, Seraphon summoned screens will be units of 10 Skinks. If they summon them too close to their own lines, you can simply smash through - charge a couple of Stonehorns into a screen unit and they will be almost entirely dead just from impact damage, and you can then pile in during the Fight phase into the units behind. If they summon them further away, you can still wipe out multiple units of screens, and the rest of their army will have to be hanging back in their deployment zone, so you can keep them locked there and win on objectives. You can definitely kill screening units much faster than they can summon them - it's rare that they will be able to summon more than one unit (occasionally two) of 10 Skinks per turn.

Bastiladons are super tough against normal attacks, but weak against mortal wounds. As soon as you do three or more mortal wounds against them, they lose their effective immunity to Rend and will die easily - you should be able to do this just by charging them, but knocking off those first three wounds is also a great use for Blood Vultures. A single Stonehorn on the charge should kill a Bastiladon most of the time.

Edited by Kadeton
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've played a few games with my Ogors and I need some advice on my army list. Right now this is the base of my list:

Allegiance: Ogor Mawtribes
- Mortal Realm: Chamon
- Mawtribe: Boulderhead

LEADERS
Frostlord on Stonehorn (400)
- General
- Command Trait: Lord of Beasts
- Artefact: Plate of Perfect Protection
- Mount Trait: Black Clatterhorn
Huskard on Stonehorn (320)
- Blood Vulture
- Artefact: Brand of the Svard
- Mount Trait: Metalcruncher

UNITS
4 x Mournfang Pack (280)
- Culling Clubs or Prey Hackers with Iron Fists
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)
2 x Mournfang Pack (140)

BEHEMOTHS
Stonehorn Beastriders (300)
- Ogor Mawtribes Battleline (Beastclaw Raiders General)

BATTALIONS
Jorlbad (120)

This leaves me 300 points for either: 4 mournfangs, 1Stonehorn Beastriders or 1 Huskard on Thundertusk. Too bad I don't have enough points for another huskard on stonehorn.

I think the thundertusk is generaly weaker than the thundertusk but his prayer, a blood vulture and his snowball could make it easier to kill a small screening unit. He also gets a free mount trait thanks to the mawtribe.

On the other hand the mournfangs or the stonehorn fit in the battalion and I'm still 2 drops (important against a good number of armies in the current meta). 

I also considered 1 Slaughtermaster + 2 Mournfangs but he can be sniped very easily.

What is your opinion?

Edited by spenson

The Huskard on Thundertusk is pretty useful with BCR lime you have.  Sure the prayers only work half the time (pulverized hailstorm a little better in boulder head) but they can’t be unbound and spells only go off not much more than half anyways.  And he’ll count as 10 models for objectives with MW potential from blizzard breath.  Plus Alvagr Ancient Mount trait can come in handy with good placement.   

That said, 2 slaughtermasters are awesome too. Random but 5/6 chance of good effects x2 then.  Plus wizardry.   

Jorlbad eh?  Is that the extra move battalion?  Not sure I’d go for that over eurlbad but worth a few tries for comparison.   I’d also run 2x4 mournfang units for the command models but I guess you can maybe get extra trampling charge MW.    

I ran a Huskard on Thundertusk in my recent games and I wasn't very impressed, tbh. They struggle to keep up with the Stonehorns, their snowballs and prayers are surprisingly short-ranged, and they're soft and squishy so you have to keep them safe. I'd recommend another Stonehorn Beastriders instead, honestly - but if you've got the option to experiment (e.g. magnetised models, or playing virtually) then trial the Priest and the Riders a few times each and see which works better for you!

I could imagine the Huskard on Thundertusk doing ok in larger games. His overall damage output is not good, but he can do damage in every phase of the round. Which might be useful to give that last killing blow to an already heavily decimated unit, so that your own troops can freely move or charge the next unit.

Edited by Beastmaster

7 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

The Huskard on Thundertusk is pretty useful with BCR lime you have.  Sure the prayers only work half the time (pulverized hailstorm a little better in boulder head) but they can’t be unbound and spells only go off not much more than half anyways.  And he’ll count as 10 models for objectives with MW potential from blizzard breath.  Plus Alvagr Ancient Mount trait can come in handy with good placement.   

That said, 2 slaughtermasters are awesome too. Random but 5/6 chance of good effects x2 then.  Plus wizardry.   

Jorlbad eh?  Is that the extra move battalion?  Not sure I’d go for that over eurlbad but worth a few tries for comparison.   I’d also run 2x4 mournfang units for the command models but I guess you can maybe get extra trampling charge MW.    

Eurlbad was always a bit disappointing and never really made a difference. On the other hand, Jorlbad sometimes makes my opponent reconsider the option of trying to stay out of range of melee on turn 1. It's also a bit cheaper and allows me to have 300 spare points.

2x4 mournfang is more effective in melee than 2x2+4 but I usually need at least 2 units to stay back on turn 1 to capture objectives or to protect my flanks.

One thing the ThunderHusk is great for is warding off charges, like if you're concerned that your opponent is going to be able to get their heavy hitters into your Frostlord at the top of turn 1. You can park the ThunderHusk in the middle of your wall of Stonehorns, and make it really difficult for the enemy to charge your important, useful models without also charging him. Since he'll have the mount trait that makes enemy units within 3" fight last, your Stonehorns can smash the chargers to bits before they swing.

(Note - that won't work very will in the list @spenson suggested, because the ThunderHusk will get left behind when the Jorlbad takes the free move you're paying 120 points for. If you can juggle the points around, I'd thoroughly suggest taking a Eurlbad instead!)

5 minutes ago, spenson said:

Eurlbad was always a bit disappointing and never really made a difference. On the other hand, Jorlbad sometimes makes my opponent reconsider the option of trying to stay out of range of melee on turn 1. It's also a bit cheaper and allows me to have 300 spare points.

I'm honestly surprised to hear you say that. The Eurlbad is usually responsible for at least a dozen or so additional mortal wounds in my games, and it brings the Mournfangs from "a bit ******" up to "pretty decent" just by their weight of attacks. In contrast, the Jorlbad does literally nothing after turn 1.

After playing Beastclaws a lot recently, I would recommend that if your opponent tries to stay out of melee range in turn 1, just let them. They'll be cringing at the back of their deployment zone while you grab all the objectives, and then you'll crash into their lines on turn 2-3 anyway. The opponents you have to worry about are the ones that actively want to go toe-to-toe with your Ogors, and have the chops to back that up.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I'm hoping to fight the Seraphon someday soon.  As my Ogors kill enemies and win games, I want them have trophies from each, and I really want to add some lizard to the Slaughtermaster's cauldron!  It's already got skulls from winning vs Nagash  :)

That skull was taken from his model right? 
imagine the pain of losing to you with 150 euro mega gargants and you snatching his head 

Just now, Lord Krungharr said:

Oh how I want the chance to do just that 🍖 And a Star drake, and Alarielle, and Skarbrand, and Gordrakk.  That’ll be gastrotastic!

Just playing grudge matches to claim certain skulls 😂

Have you seen the White Dwarf Ogor Campaign? It's roughly what you're describing. But might be fun for you!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pitloze said:

I can barely fit the Hag in my lists. I just don't see how Ogors have the points left for an Gargant. FLoSH does his job, and gets the benefit of the army keywords.

Its a rule of cool choice, I agree. 
If you like the model, you’ll find the points. 
mid you are looking to be more competitive. It solves nothing of the (minor) problems we have. 

6 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Its a rule of cool choice, I agree. 
If you like the model, you’ll find the points. 
mid you are looking to be more competitive. It solves nothing of the (minor) problems we have. 

I mean we have our own cool monster trucks (I like both gargants and our Monsters). So do most of the Destro armies. And as mercs I felt they should be able to do more. If they could participate in keyword lingo of other armies they would be insanely popular.

7 minutes ago, Pitloze said:

I mean we have our own cool monster trucks (I like both gargants and our Monsters). So do most of the Destro armies. And as mercs I felt they should be able to do more. If they could participate in keyword lingo of other armies they would be insanely popular.

They would.  They would also be impossible to balance. 
have you played the gargants? I’ve played one at the start a couple of times. And found them really... lacklustre? I don’t know. Not really bad, not really good. Just that everything it does we can do better. 

3 hours ago, Kramer said:

They would.  They would also be impossible to balance. 
have you played the gargants? I’ve played one at the start a couple of times. And found them really... lacklustre? I don’t know. Not really bad, not really good. Just that everything it does we can do better. 

I was waiting for both the Gargants and new Troggoth battalion to come out before I would choose my next army. And I really feel BCR does what the Gargants do but better. And I already have a BCR army. So I'm going to continue my Troggoth army.

So to answer your question. No I haven't played them. But  I have many hours of BCR under my belt. I was hoping that the Gargants would be more unique.

Edited by Pitloze
Derp. Said wrong army.
  • Like 1

I must admit I was very very tempted to get into the Sons of Behemat; but after reading many people's thoughts and preliminary experiences with them, I think I'm just gonna stick with Mawtribes.  Defeating them will feed us for a week  :D

Picked up 10 more Leadbelchers and bashed together 8 more Ironguts with bits; wondering if I should use the remaining bodies and bits for some Maneaters to give the Gutbusters a speedy bumrush unit (as opposed to Mournfangs with my BCRs).

Regarding Butchers, is it ever worth taking one of them over another Slaughtermaster?  I do like their warscroll spell; but with a Bloodgullet army, seems like the Slaughtermaster is more useful overall.  Anybody have any specifically better uses for the Butcher besides babysitting the Mawpot and his really cool spell?

1 minute ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I must admit I was very very tempted to get into the Sons of Behemat; but after reading many people's thoughts and preliminary experiences with them, I think I'm just gonna stick with Mawtribes.  Defeating them will feed us for a week  :D

Picked up 10 more Leadbelchers and bashed together 8 more Ironguts with bits; wondering if I should use the remaining bodies and bits for some Maneaters to give the Gutbusters a speedy bumrush unit (as opposed to Mournfangs with my BCRs).

Regarding Butchers, is it ever worth taking one of them over another Slaughtermaster?  I do like their warscroll spell; but with a Bloodgullet army, seems like the Slaughtermaster is more useful overall.  Anybody have any specifically better uses for the Butcher besides babysitting the Mawpot and his really cool spell?

Generally I've found it to be more beneficial to have the butcher for, as you said, sitting at the pot, as you waste the second Slaughtermaster's cauldron if you put him on pot duty, and with a Vortex you still have a pretty good range to throw out Hunger of the Great Maw.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lord Krungharr said:

I second Latty, and will add to it that the butcher on pot duty is more likely to get a kill in combat to refill the pot. 

• Like 1