UrFrndJenn

Hey so I haven’t touched Age of Sigmar since around the time it came out and I’m getting back into it. I’m joining a local escalation league that starts at 500pts and was thinking of running Anvilgard with two Hyrda or Kharibdyss as my battle line . Any experience with these two as to which would perform better? 

By pure stats - Hydra is better, more damage, shooting attack, unconditional wound regen, better move and better damage chart makes it a superior choice over Kharibdyss

However, Kharibdyss has two pros that need to be mentioned: if it's healing procs - it will work before opponent can deal it any more damage and it can proc every turn instead of Hydra's every battleround, that can make a difference between life and death and is also nice to have with Acidic Blood Curse, so it will tank damage and dish out MW longer. And it also has the -1 bravery aura that synergises well with  Drakeblood Curse that gives another bravery debuff.

What I would do is this: take both types of monsters and choose a 2nd Curse as Illicit Dealing - give Felgaze to Hydra (so you give your opponent a combined -3 penalty to bravery distributed between 2 monsters) and Acidic Blood to Kharibdis because it has the chance to stay alive longer.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, XReN said:

What I would do is this: take both types of monsters and choose a 2nd Curse as Illicit Dealing - give Felgaze to Hydra (so you give your opponent a combined -3 penalty to bravery distributed between 2 monsters) and Acidic Blood to Kharibdis because it has the chance to stay alive longer.

If you do this, I highly recommend putting in one or more dark riders, and maybe even the General on Griffin to boost those numbers. Dark Riders are good units in their own right, and the -1 bravery is mostly a ribbon in other cases. The General is a bit iffier, but boosting the bravery to a -5 may be worth it.

The issue here is that immunity to battleshock is quite common, even without costing CP's.

On 10/17/2019 at 11:31 AM, zilberfrid said:

If you do this, I highly recommend putting in one or more dark riders, and maybe even the General on Griffin to boost those numbers. Dark Riders are good units in their own right, and the -1 bravery is mostly a ribbon in other cases. The General is a bit iffier, but boosting the bravery to a -5 may be worth it.

The issue here is that immunity to battleshock is quite common, even without costing CP's.

At first I wanted to ask you how in the ever living glory of Sigmar, did you get to a -5 value ? But then checking the individual abilities I noticed that the curse is -2 not -1 as I originally thought. DAM* this is some scary stuff !

For anyone who might be wondering about how you get there:

-1 for Kharibdys, -2 for the Drake Curse, -1 for Dark Riders, -1 for General on Gryf, 

And yes, these all do stuck.

*I can see this in a Living city. Ambush a Dreadlord with the -2 Curse, GoG and a MSU Dark Riders, bring them close to each other on the same flank. Two big scary, hard hitting monsters, and a  5 man Cav unit for a -4 Discipline. Two flying monsters seem more wieldy to me due to their speed, and DR can easily keep up being a light cav unit.

....Remember the days when Tzeentzch was the big Magic guy and Slaanesh used to Leadership Bomb your units where half of your army was constantly fleeing ?  Yeah ?  well....move aside you two! Cities of Sigmar are the big doug now! :D 

Edited by Myrdin

8 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

At first I wanted to ask you how in the ever living glory of Sigmar, did you get to a -5 value ? But then checking the individual abilities I noticed that the curse is -2 not -1 as I originally thought. DAM* this is some scary stuff !

For anyone who might be wondering about how you get there:

-1 for Kharibdys, -2 for the Drake Curse, -1 for Dark Riders, -1 for General on Gryf, 

And yes, these all do stuck.

*I can see this in a Living city. Ambush a Dreadlord with the -2 Curs and a GoG and a MSU Dark Riders, bring them close to each other on the same flank. Two big scary, hard hitting monsters, and a -4 do Discipline. Two flying monsters seem more wieldy to me due to their speed, and DR can easily keep up being a light cav unit.

....Remember the days when Tzeentzch was the big Magic guy and Slaanesh used to Leadership Bomb your units where half of your army was constantly fleeing ?  Yeah ?  well....move aside you two! Cities of Sigmar are the big doug now! :D 

The curse is only available in Anvilgard, so living city isn't going to work, but -3 with a Kharybdis, Dark Riders and GoG is a possibility. I'd just use Anvilgard, and use a Amber Battlemage to spur the beast onwards, or even just magic it across the field.

It's scary in theory, but it's easy to get battleshock immunity. Rats and Goblins are mostly going to have it for free, Anvilgard can get it in an area of effect, Hammerhal has it at half the battlefield, I think some undead are immune, and the rest I don't know.

Edited by zilberfrid

1 minute ago, zilberfrid said:

The curse is only available in Anvilgard, so living city isn't going to work, but -3 with a Kharybdis, Dark Riders and GoG is a possibility. I'd just use Anvilgard, and use a Amber Battlemage to spur the beast onwards, or even just magic it across the field.

Ah... right right > <

Love the book but with so many things and combinations I sometimes get lost in the hype of a "new cool build idea" :D 

Not really a fan of magic, especially the instant teleport magics, so I dont really look at spells like that. Thats why I thought about DoBD running the curse instead of a Kharibdys. But I guess a Wildform would do well on the big gribblies. (Its kinda funny... I still have the old spell cards from WFB... wildform is completely different than what it once used to be > +1S/T or both if empowered)

22 minutes ago, Myrdin said:

Ah... right right > <

Love the book but with so many things and combinations I sometimes get lost in the hype of a "new cool build idea" :D 

Not really a fan of magic, especially the instant teleport magics, so I dont really look at spells like that. Thats why I thought about DoBD running the curse instead of a Kharibdys. But I guess a Wildform would do well on the big gribblies. (Its kinda funny... I still have the old spell cards from WFB... wildform is completely different than what it once used to be > +1S/T or both if empowered)

Wildform did something different a month ago, giving +1 to wound, it's not exactly the most stable of spells

55 minutes ago, Mikkl said:

Battlemages from Shyish  cast the Pall of Doom spell on a 6+, which grants further -2 bravery. Bringing the total to -7, only using abilities within the CoS book.

8 minutes ago, Greed said:

Anvilgard can only get realm-spells from Aqshy

Battlemages can have a Realm Spell of their own, while also being part of the realm the Army is from. This has been extensively discussed in a different thread. So you absolutely can have a Battlemage from Shyish, who is part of an Aqshy realm City army, meaning the Battle mage will have access to both the City spells and his 1 unique spell from a different realm > In this case the Pall of Doom.

@Mikkl Good catch on that one ;) I am sure @zilberfrid will be stoked about this. .... Jesus a -7Dsc. bomb > ___ < !! Even armies that have Disc 10 will suffer when this things is invoked unless they outright ignore Battleshock.

As someone who plays BoC I would never EVER want to face this type of nonsense.

Edited by Myrdin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 11:24 AM, UrFrndJenn said:

Thanks for your input guys. Lots of good stuff.

I’m  going with 

Heroes

Black Ark Fleetmaster - General

Sorceress - Adjutant 

Battleline

Kharibdyss

Hyda

490pts Total

We escalate 250 Pts every two weeks.

How did this work out?