Warband sizes and purchases

Lior'Lec

I only pre-ordered one each of the starter set and Cypher Lords boxes; now I’m starting to realize I really want two sets of each of the warbands. What are other people here planning to do about this in regards to the Iron Golems and Untamed Beasts; will you pick up/split a second starter set, wait for individual boxes of the warbands, or wait/hope until an “elites” expansion comes along adding new models for each faction?

Personally I want to build up sets mostly so that I've viable unit sizes for use in Slaves to Darkness, whilst they are not all brilliant at this stage I think they will be designed to work well as the core base infantry for StD in the future. 

Iron Golems work really well even now giving a very tough "tarpit" unit that can move forward, strike with a short ranged attack, and get potentially two 4+ saves in close combat. That makes them really hard to take down, esp in a decent number. 

From there I think haivng more options for Warcry helps a lot; you can vary your choices and mix and match how you want. Plus the way that the rules tie into the main game means that you really don't have any "bad build" choices for those few models that do have weapon choices. The weapon choices affect warcry only with AoS rules being much simpler. 

• Like 1

For now I’ve just magnetised the options on the iron golems, which was really easy, 2mm magnets are just a bit smaller than the wrist joints. I can’t see a situation where I’ll need to run both options at the same time but will probably pick some more up if I can get them cheap.

2 hours ago, Bob said:

For now I’ve just magnetised the options on the iron golems, which was really easy, 2mm magnets are just a bit smaller than the wrist joints. I can’t see a situation where I’ll need to run both options at the same time but will probably pick some more up if I can get them cheap.

Did you have to drill them to do this or did the magnets fit without?

Yes, I had to drill them. as long as you’re careful you have just enough room to fit a 2x1mm magnet into the arms. I had the most trouble putting one in the bolas as it was quite tight, really recommend putting a smaller guiding hole in the middle before going straight in with a 2mm still bit 

• Thanks 1

@PhallusDominus No, I don’t care what is or will be “competitive”. I just want to build up a full campaign warband roster and reading the rules that means:

A minimum of 1k points worth of models

At least three models/fighters

Exactly one leader model

UP TO twenty models/fighters

Besides... I reeeally wanna play a game with three prowlers and two breachers... those models are just too nice not to see play.