Stonehorn half wounds

jonwarmington

Question

How are the half wounds for the stone horn worked out?

Is it either :

1) if the wounds caused from one model and one attack normally do 2 wounds per hit then it is only 1 vs the stone horn, so never effect 1 wounding things.

or

2) is it count up the wounds suffered from one source then half that, for example I get hit and wounded from a unit and they cause 4 wounds then it's only 2?

Final side question I'm right in thinking (if playing with the latest warscrolls) you now can't do the beastclaw Avalanche as the warscrolls needed do not exist anymore.

thanks 

11 answers to this question

When a unit attacks, any unsaved wounding attacks add their D value to the damage pool.

Once all models in the unit have attacked, the defending player then assigns wounds from the pool to models in the unit.

This is the point at which the Stonehorn's ability kicks in. So if 10 wounds total are caused by attacks, the Stonehorn only takes 5.

Whether it's 10 D1 attacks, 5 D2 attacks or whatever doesn't matter.

As for your second question, if you still have the original warscrolls (ie. The legacy or GA: Des ones) it's still valid. Otherwise the 'new' warscrolls don't work because neither the unit names or keywords tie up with the Avalanche Warscroll.

However, it won't work for allegiance / battleline as the keywords are different - "Beastclaw Raiders" vs "Beastclaw".

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, jonwarmington said:

How are the half wounds for the stone horn worked out?

Half wounds will apply to the total damage pool from unit.

So for each weapon profile your opponent will need to roll to hit with all the attacks, then roll to wound, then calculate how much damage (i.e. attacks that do more than 1 damage).  Repeat for the next weapon profile, adding the amount of damage done into the pool.  Once finished, your Stonehorn ability comes in and you half the number of wounds in the damage pool, rounding up.

The answer I got to the question from GW regarding the Beastclaw Avalanche is that any unit that has a keyword containing "Thundertusk" or "Stonehorn" can count as the requirements for those units in the Battalion... So not only can you still use the Battalion, you can do so with Huskards or Frostlords while you're at it.

Could you please quote the response, or provide a link.

I thought they intended this to be that way. 

Then again if keywords can split and combine, then a "Zombie Dragon" is a "Zombie", just as a "Chaos" plus "Wizard" is the mysterious "Chaos Wizard" of every summoning Daemon spell.

Could you please quote the response, or provide a link.

I thought they intended this to be that way. 

Then again if keywords can split and combine, then a "Zombie Dragon" is a "Zombie", just as a "Chaos" plus "Wizard" is the mysterious "Chaos Wizard" of every summoning Daemon spell.

Yeah, as to date there's no precedent for breaking down keywords to components - treelord ancients in households, for example. Also, I thought that the entries were unit names, unless the battalion says "[KEYWORD] units"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think the default is Keywords rather than names. That's also apparent from the Skarsnik question in the main FAQ.

It's a keyword-driven game. However they have messed up a few times here and there with keywords.

In Skarsnik's case he actually has "Night Goblin Warboss" as a 'keyword' - no commas, a continuous phrase, identical to what the warscroll asked for.

The new Beastclaw stuff doesn't have "Thundertusk" or "Stonehorn" as keywords except as part of a larger phrase. But then there are no "CHAOS WIZARDS", as you pointed out.

It's frustrating when you're trying to find absolutes to act as a baseline and then intentional muddying...

21 hours ago, BaldoBeardo said:

In Skarsnik's case he actually has "Night Goblin Warboss" as a 'keyword' - no commas, a continuous phrase, identical to what the warscroll asked for.

The new Beastclaw stuff doesn't have "Thundertusk" or "Stonehorn" as keywords except as part of a larger phrase. But then there are no "CHAOS WIZARDS", as you pointed out.

It's frustrating when you're trying to find absolutes to act as a baseline and then intentional muddying...

Actually, the Frostlord and Huskard both have the Stonehorn/Thundertusk keywords, just to muddy it up a bit more.

Archived