Iron Horde (WoW) Theme - Ironjawz

Dolinarius

Hey guys,

as this is my first topic, I would like to say hello to you guys.

My SCE project is slowly comming to an end, and as usual, the next one is already in my mind.

I'm wondering if someone has tried to bring the Iron Horde theme to an Ironjawz army.

So what I'm talking about?

example

I'm testing with a Megaboss.

The skin is not that big of an issue,  Rakarth Flesh --> Drakenhof Nightshade --> 75:25 rakarth flesh:"a bright grey a cant remember atm" + water.

So far so good, but I'm seriously struggling with the armor. My frist try was: abaddon black, then drybrush with boltgun metal and after that another careful drybrush with runefang steel just for the highlights. Turns out it's still a lot of black armor, and without a wash, it just looks kinda - boring.

So I'm thinking about which colour to mix into the black to bring in more depth with shades...I'm not a fan of GWs blue-ish version (original IJ theme) at all. That made me think about a first coat of leadbelcher and than a heavy wash of nuln oil/agrax. and after that drybrush it as mentioned above.

Could that work out better?

not to forget the "glowing" of the bolts and some armour parts. I got an idea for that, khorne red --> 70/30 khrone red + yriel yellow - somthing like that. Maybe you guys also have any advise here?

greetings

You could try Black Templar over Leadbelcher.  Nuln Oil still has a little brown in it, so it will still look dirty.  If you are going for a clean black metal, mix the Templar 50/50 with Contrast Medium.  You can then wash in into the recesses or over areas you want more darkness.  Then edge with Ironbreaker and then Runefang.

You could also use Iron Warriors, which was rereleased from Forgeworld.  It is a darker silver than Leadbelcher.

For the glowing runes, watch the Archeon painting video.  Khorne Red, Trollslayer Orange, Fire Dragon Bright, Yriel Yellow, dot of white.  Thin the paints and go slowly.

• Like 1

Thx for the advise! 

I think i stick with nuln oil, tge brown-ish/dirty look is fine, it's an orc oohh i mean orruk ;)

Would you undercoat it black or white or maybe even leadbelcher? 

I was told to undercoat it white cause of the skin and glow effects,  but white didn't seem to work for me well... 

Edited by Dolinarius

no, not so far and to be honest, I'm not planning to buy another range of colours ;)

2nd try

I primed it with corax white again, then leadbelcher + nuln oil, before i washed the wohle mini with agrax earthshade  (execpt the skin).

that's the current state:

Looks good to me so far (much better then the first version); drybrushing the armour and finishing the skin is the next step, before i finally try to create the glow effect. As I never really tried something similar before, I afraid it will look a bit too onedimensional.

The Archaon Guide was helpfull, but it's much easier to apply the colors on a large tail then on those tiny spans and gaps between the armour parts.

Stay tuned how it turns out... :)

Edited by Dolinarius
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dolinarius said:

no, not so far and to be honest, I'm not planning to buy another range of colours ;)

That's quitting talk! 😁

Armour looks good, I used a similar method for painting uruk hai armour, washing leadbelcher with a mix of nuln oil and agrax then highlighted and added scratches with silver.

IMG_20190518_082250.jpg.0849b3438c71f58b7ee49424a1ac16f2.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finished result!

so here we go...

36271415jj.jpg

36271416ax.jpg

36271418oq.jpg

The color transition ("glow") could be smoother, but all in all, but i felt it is the absolut maximum I could achiev. Although i feel that a wash (which one?) would help the glow effect...

What a defenitely gonna do is, buy troll slayer or something similar and add it, again, to smoothe the transition...

Thoughts?

edit

as I see the mini here, i forgot the eyes - uups ;)

• Like 5
  • LOVE IT! 1

Looks good! I like the skin tone and it contrasts nicely with the dark steel of the armour, which is also a great addition. The choice of yellow for the glow is also great, good complimentary color choice. Maybe you could add some more dark, mute red details to complete the color triad. Perhaps the loincloth, the straps or some markings on his armour? Rust, maybe?

I've always thought that GW made a crass mistake when painting their AoS orcs bright yellow. It doesn't look like a paintjob, it looks like some orcs had found Space Marine armour and welded into a new thing, which makes zero sense.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, Dolinarius said:

so here we go...

36271415jj.jpg

36271416ax.jpg

36271418oq.jpg

The color transition ("glow") could be smoother, but all in all, but i felt it is the absolut maximum I could achiev. Although i feel that a wash (which one?) would help the glow effect...

What a defenitely gonna do is, buy troll slayer or something similar and add it, again, to smoothe the transition...

Thoughts?

edit

as I see the mini here, i forgot the eyes - uups ;)

This! Makes me want to start IRonjawz

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO MEEE!? 🤣😂😭

my wallet and space for Miniatures cries in anguish

thx for compliments guys - the new battletome around the corner doesn't make things easier right know. Still got some SCE on my desk (round about 20).

@Cèsar de Quart

Rust was an option at the start, but it wouldn't fit the theme as those WoW orc armour hast no rust at all. The yellow works well at the feed but not so great at the rivets and the shoulder parts. As soon i got time, I will add some orange to it and of course some eyes :D

I also absolutely dislike the GW Theme. The story behind might be a nice idea, but all in all it doesn't fit, it's too childish.

Wow love it, great work! How did u do the armour? 

So here we are, added some orange and it turned out much smoother. 

The base gonna be a red, sand, earth mix as it is at the hellfire peninsula.

IMG_20190722_204128.jpg

IMG_20190722_204106.jpg

IMG_20190722_204054.jpg

IMG_20190722_204037.jpg

Edited by Dolinarius