Fighty Nurgle

Garth1

Hi all, I posted in a previous forum and someone suggested to me that I should post in here. I have been playing for a short while (a few weeks really) and find that the list I have been using, Thricefold, isn’t for me. I want to try something more ‘fighty and hitty’ but not too sure where or what to do. Any help or advise would be great. I can get my hands on Plague Drones, Blightkings and a few other Nurgly bits. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

While the poster above me has a point, i have a list which can hit kind of hard.

Be warned however, that stuff like FEC will still eat you alive before you can get a single attack out...

List goes as follows:

Blight Cyst:

Lord of Blights

4x 5 Blight kings

Harbinger of decay

The Glottkin

Pusgoyle blightlords

This will get you at 1760pts, so you can add some more Blightlords, a second caster, more blightkings , whatever you want/have.

The blightkings can do massive damage, buffed by the Glottkin's extra attack from his CA and the Harbinger will keep them alive a bit longer.

With the Nurgle wheel and trees you dont even have to be very slow.

Hope this gets you started

• 2 weeks later...

If you're okay going outside of Maggotkin then your best bet is Bestigors and Plague monks. Plague monks have the nurgle keyword and Bestigors can get it through the pestilent throng warband.

Otherwise, sticking with what you listing, I'd say Plague Drones backed up with a GUO are your best bet. A unit of 6 to 9 has a ton of wounds, decent saves, and an insane bucket of attacks thanks to the GUO's command ability and it triggering the Plague Drones' locus. That said, other AoS 2 battletomes will still pound you into the dirt (FEC, Fyreslayers, Skaven Plague Monks if they get the charge, ect).  

Sorry @Maristara but that list is just instantly shut down by geminids, gloomspite, wrath axe, basically any -1 to hit which are very prevalent. Glottkin giving a max of 20 attacks that equate to an extra 3 damage if ALL 20 blight kings were in combat is not a fighty list.  Blight cyst tries to be a fighty list, in an army that is debuffed so easily whether through rend mitigation or a single -1 to hit. Thats why I have steered clear of it. 340 battalion if you include the tax Lord of Blights. 

@Garth1, if you want fighty nurgle, @Forrix has it right by either going plague monks or doing a pestilent throng/bestigor allies is probably the fightiest nurgle gets. The problem is Nurgles damage is largely based on spell synergy (either thricefold or blades of putrefaction) which is shut down easily by other magic heavy armies, since we have zero casting buffs, save for one artefact that can only be taken by demon wizards who don't have access to blades of putrefaction to begin with!

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

On 7/13/2019 at 9:03 PM, Garth1 said:

Hi all, I posted in a previous forum and someone suggested to me that I should post in here. I have been playing for a short while (a few weeks really) and find that the list I have been using, Thricefold, isn’t for me. I want to try something more ‘fighty and hitty’ but not too sure where or what to do. Any help or advise would be great. I can get my hands on Plague Drones, Blightkings and a few other Nurgly bits. Thanks

I have two questions.

What does flighty mean to you?

And. Are you sure Nurgle matches your playstyle?

Factions have some versatility, but eventually you are just square pegging.

if your a new player use plague drones to learn the game they are super fighty with a guo buff and a daemon hero near by.. Sure other armies fight better but the drones are no slouches if you get off blades of putrifaction they mence things.. Not the best list but also not the worst good for learning and nurgle saves means they can be forgiving.

I have 3 guo and thricefold isnt good for a new player its not super intresting and required you to have a pretty good grasp of the game to work anyway

• 1 month later...

On 8/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, Ajmaus said:

if your a new player use plague drones to learn the game they are super fighty with a guo buff and a daemon hero near by.. Sure other armies fight better but the drones are no slouches if you get off blades of putrifaction they mence things.. Not the best list but also not the worst good for learning and nurgle saves means they can be forgiving.

I have 3 guo and thricefold isnt good for a new player its not super intresting and required you to have a pretty good grasp of the game to work anyway

As a new player whos building twoards thricefold that has me worried! What makes it boring/ hard for new players? Any suggestions to lower the learning curve? I just love the guo models so I gravitated to a list with alot of them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/20/2019 at 11:20 PM, GurgleMyNurgle said:

As a new player whos building twoards thricefold that has me worried! What makes it boring/ hard for new players? Any suggestions to lower the learning curve? I just love the guo models so I gravitated to a list with alot of them.

The problem with 3xfold is that the damage comes primarily from spells, and other armies out there can utterly dominate the magic phase. Tz, Gits, Slaanesh (to an extent), LoN Sylvaneth.. so it can be an uphill batlle. In a tournament metaphor 3xFold is a "3-2 army".  You are probably going to win more then you lose, but cant realistically win a 5 round event or dominate your local meta. Its a great army to collect, paint and is a TON OF FUN though!

On 9/21/2019 at 1:42 AM, flemingmma said:

Nurgle need a new book

I think a few FAQ chnages could keep nurgle chugging along for QUITE some time. blightkings proccing their blighted weapons rule on an unmodified 6 would be a huge buff. Plaguebearers should be reduced in points to 100/270 among a mriad of other points reductions. Nurgle wont be getting a new book for a while so hang on tight and adapt to the meta. 

Here is a punchy list I'm going to try out. Im worried about the new Bonesplittas mechanic to ignore DPR. I can see how that emchanic will become more maintstream and might have to shift away from harbinger but going to stay on course. 

Leaders
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Gutrot Spume (140)
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Great-Bray Shaman (100)
- Allies

Battleline
10 x Putrid Blightkings (320)
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields

Units
30 x Bestigors (300)
- Allies

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 400 / 400
Wounds: 215

Edited by sal4m4nd3r
  • Like 1

Tried this the weekend, only had 1 game so far with it but it definitely feels like it has potential...

List has +1 to hit, re rolling all manner of 1s, fast centigors, glass cannon exploding monks and 3 units of grindy as hell kings, whats not to love.

reckon biggest issue is the very limited rend vs something like Seq and Castelant spam.

Allegiance: Nurgle

Leaders
Grashrak Fellhoof (140)
- Allies
Harbinger of Decay (160)
- General
- Trait: Grandfather's Blessing
- Artefact: The Witherstave
Festus the Leechlord (140)
- Lore of Malignance: Blades of Putrefaction
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Lore of Foulness: Plague Squall

Battleline

Units
5 x Grashrak's Despoilers (0)
10 x Centigors (160)
- Allies
40 x Plague Monks (280)
- Foetid Blades
- 1x Icon of Pestilence
- 1x Contagion Banner
- 1x Doom Gongs
- 1x Bale Chimes

Total: 2000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 300 / 400
Wounds: 208

Edited by Dracan
  • Like 1

Wow! Amazing list @Dracan!! Make sure to post in the nurgle tactics thread. Looks like it could do some real damage!!! Watch out for being short on CP for an inspiring presence of the monks get counter attacked! Centigor models are hard to find but can be converted from marauder horseman and gor bodies. 

Perhaps consider dropping the sorc lord for a cp, the wildfire Taurus and a good shot at a triumph! But overall nice list man.