Plague Drones worth it?

Bronouns

Are these guys worth their points with and/or without the harbinger of decay?

They look great on paper, but I seem to people prefer the putrid blightkings. 

The major pros being movement and resilience. I see the cons as mainly the cost and unit number for holding objectives.  

What had been your experience?

With shooting a unit has 18 attacks that should generate about 10.5 hits.  That would mean you'll get almost 2 mortal wounds out of them - probably one since shooting doesn't happen all the time.

Their damage without the special rule and shooting is 4.27.  Shooting adds about 0.67.  So not spectacular numbers for the points and just an ok save, but that comes with mortal wound protection.

If you could find a way to give them +1 to wound it'd boost them pretty well, but at the moment they don't offer anything amazing.

They combo nicely with a Skaven Plaguepriest who can give them access to +1 to wound, its also not a spell so can be cast multiple times, wording is a bit grey and whether it stacks, most likely not.

I took 6 drones in basically ever list until Generals handbook came out. They went from 9pools under SCGT to 11 in GH, which is quite a big jump if you run multiple units. I think they still have a place and are very sturdy, especially in a mono nurgle build where you'll most likely be utilising Epidemius who should be giving them a 4+ basic save before mystic shield once the tally is activated.

I am looking to run 6 drones along my Nurgle Daemon Prince in my Nurgle army. But I am unsure of what the combo with the Harbinger of Decay should be?

The Harbinger of Decay can buff Mortal Nurgle, which wouldn't help the Drones?  (I'm looking at the warscroll from app and GWs site)

3 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

With shooting a unit has 18 attacks that should generate about 10.5 hits.  That would mean you'll get almost 2 mortal wounds out of them - probably one since shooting doesn't happen all the time.

Their damage without the special rule and shooting is 4.27.  Shooting adds about 0.67.  So not spectacular numbers for the points and just an ok save, but that comes with mortal wound protection.

If you could find a way to give them +1 to wound it'd boost them pretty well, but at the moment they don't offer anything amazing.

...but they look damn cool.

I run a Rotbringers list (lots of Blightkings) and am currently painting up a unit of 3 Plague Drones to summon.

With their delayed deployment (summoning) and extra speed (vs Blightkings) i intend to either use them as a counter to an opponents advances or use them to exploit a weakness in my opponents setup.

A fine bit of theory-hammer!

They at least HAVE a shooting attack which better than 99% of Nurgle Mortals and Daemons. It might not be a great shooting attack but at least you won't have those moments when you are getting shot all to hell and wishing you had a retort and wanting to tear off your own head and throw it against the wall. I assume that you aren't going to combo with Skaven because if you were you'd just run Plagueclaw Catapults like everyone else. 

It's sort of weird having Skaven crash the party huh? They fit, and to be honest, I'm delighted with their inclusion in the Chaos array of forces. But it feels sort of weird inducting them into your Chaos army huh? I just can't do it. I don't run Beastmen either. I'm a purist.  Some kind of Nurgle supremacist. Yikes.

They combo nicely with a Skaven Plaguepriest who can give them access to +1 to wound, its also not a spell so can be cast multiple times, wording is a bit grey and whether it stacks, most likely not.

There's no reason that would not stack given the FAQ (cf. the wording for the Celestial Hurricanum, which doesn't stack as it's units "within range of any" CH).

It's a bit derpy though as it has a bad range on a feeble hero and has to be cast on the target of the attacks (so the enemy unit miles away), not on the Drones. On the other hand, the fact that it's a feeble hero may make people disregard it as a threat (why are there 2 little rats scuttling behind Archaon... oh my 16 wound monster is dead...).

I took 6 drones in basically ever list until Generals handbook came out. They went from 9pools under SCGT to 11 in GH, which is quite a big jump if you run multiple units.

Oh - that's horrendous. For 220 you could get 5 Retributors....

• 2 months later...
On August 4, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Spiky Norman said:

I am looking to run 6 drones along my Nurgle Daemon Prince in my Nurgle army. But I am unsure of what the combo with the Harbinger of Decay should be?

The Harbinger of Decay can buff Mortal Nurgle, which wouldn't help the Drones?  (I'm looking at the warscroll from app and GWs site)

The Harbinger has the daemon keyword, but why use him to buff drones when you are running a DP? I see no real use for him except buffing blight kings and/or chosen.

Knights/warriors already get a 5+ v mortal wounds. I'd probably use the points elsewhere.

Archived