Banner bearers / icon bearers in older warscrolls

Carnivore

Question

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen!

I am having a question due to the choice of banner / icon bearers.

"Models in this unit may be Waaagh!
Drummers. You can add 2 to the
charge rolls of a unit that includes any
Waaagh! Drummers."

Models in this unit may be Standard
Bearers. Standard Bearers can carry either
an Orruk Banner or a Skull Icon.

The question is:

Is it in any way officially restricted, that only 1 of 10 can be a banner / icon bearer?
And even more important, can a group of 20 or more models take both banners / icons?

Thank you for your help there!

Best regards!

7 answers to this question

As far as I'm aware this is an oddity in the rules in that yes you can, in theory, arm the entire unit with banners and drums to no negative effect. Even if you limited each to just one upgrade and did it half and half, it would look utterly silly. 

Therefore in general most people take one banner and one musician. They then use the fact that the attacked player removes wounded models to remove those models last where at all possible and if the enemy corners them where they are the only valid targets to die then they either;

a) Accept the loss

b) Remove the model, but then swap it for another - representing another warrior picking up the banner/instrument. This is a hold over from old fantasy but its not too commonly used in AoS. 

2 hours ago, Overread said:

They then use the fact that the attacked player removes wounded models to remove those models last where at all possible and if the enemy corners them where they are the only valid targets to die then they either;

a) Accept the loss

b) Remove the model, but then swap it for another - representing another warrior picking up the banner/instrument. This is a hold over from old fantasy but its not too commonly used in AoS. 

Sorry to go off topic a second, but is this correct?

I thought if you had a 30 model unit charged where the enemy ends up in contact with only 1 model in the unit after pile in, you still could give the wounds to any of the models in the unit, not just the one in contact, thereby always being able to keep the banner, musician, and champion till last.

I believe a common "unofficial" rule is 1 banner and 1 musician per "unit box" or "unit increment" which ever makes more sense (especially for legacy units that have 12 or 16 models).

You can indeed mix and matched if a unit has 2 types of banners/etc.

From the Skaven Pestilens FAQ

Q: On the Plague Monks warscroll, the option is given for models to be Icon Bearers with standards, or Plague Harbingers with instruments. The warscroll states that any model in the unit can be an Icon Bearer or a Plague Harbinger. Does that mean I can equip my unit of Plague Monks with both options from both categories?

A: Yes, you may take multiple standards and instruments in a unit if the warscroll allows it.

5 hours ago, Choombatta said:

Sorry to go off topic a second, but is this correct?

I thought if you had a 30 model unit charged where the enemy ends up in contact with only 1 model in the unit after pile in, you still could give the wounds to any of the models in the unit, not just the one in contact, thereby always being able to keep the banner, musician, and champion till last.

You are correct but @Overread is talking about a situation such as Morathi’s gaze or LoN Hand of Dust spell that target out a specific model from a unit giving a player the chance to snipe out banners and the like without having to hope your opponent makes a mistake in removal and/or wound allocation because once a model in a unit has a wound it must take all wounds given to the unit until the model is slain.

What about the fact, that ( as it seems ) in a group of 2 or more, there could be both banner options.

Sometimes, a unit can choose from a banner, or an icon for 10 models.

What, when that units has 20 or more models?
Can it then equip both, Banner & Icon & so what ever?

Unless the warscroll says you cannot take more than one kind of banner or icon or limits how many per X number of models you can take all options in any combination as many as you like currently 

Going back to the pestilens example the monks have two banner and either two or three icons to take.

10 hours ago, Carnivore said:

What about the fact, that ( as it seems ) in a group of 2 or more, there could be both banner options.

Sometimes, a unit can choose from a banner, or an icon for 10 models.

What, when that units has 20 or more models?
Can it then equip both, Banner & Icon & so what ever?

I’m pretty sure there was a faq that said you take both in that case and get both benefits. Just that 2 of the same don’t stack

Archived