Balewind Vortex + Skaven Gnawhole magnetizing?

Num

Hello

I am considering buying a Balewind Vortex, but I am hesitating because of transportation issues, as it looks rather big. Could you please indicate me:

- Is it stable enough if I leave it disassembled? I would thus transport the base, the vortex and the platform separately, and just fit them together to play (with no magnet)

- Otherwise, would it be stabler if magnetized? For instance by putting magnets on the base, the platform, and on both sides of the vortex. Transporting it disassembled and magnetizing it to play.

I just don't want to transport it fully assembled...

Thanks a lot

Definitely have to magnetize. The top surface isn't parallel to the table surface either so that's something to consider. If you need to go the extra mile you'll need to make the base heavier too, especially if you plan on using a small metal model on top. I'll try to post a picture of mine later to give you an idea.

Thanks

All my models' bases are magnetized too. Perhaps I could add another magnet on the platform so that everything is on the right equilibrium... But at the end if it looks too complex I'll just avoid buying the model...

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'm going to try merging a Gnawhole and a Balewind Vortex into a single magnetizable model:

99120206028_SKAGnawhole1.jpg

99120299037_BalewindVortex02.jpg

The gnawhole will replace the base of the vortex, and both vortexes will be matched in paint scheme.

Depending on the balance, I might replace the upper platform with some planks from the Screaming Bell.

This has to be done :D I think that the models resemble another, and rules-wise it seems powerful too!

The balewind gives and extra spell and save. The Gnawhole gives +1 cast. As the balewind and the wizard on it are considered a single model, it could also travel through the Gnawholes (until it gets FAQed of course, like all balewind-related abuse)

What do you think?

I think its a really cool conversion and a really neat idea! 

But I'm pretty sure you can't put one model atop another ever. So you won't be able to benefit from both, it would be an either or and based on the Balewind I'd call it a Balewind only. You won't be able to use it as a gnawhole if they are atop each other, only if the Vortex and Gnawhole are beside each other.

Of course in casual games if your opponent allows it, you might get away with it now and then. Otherwise I'd call it a Balewind Vortex and just have it look awesome! 

27 minutes ago, Overread said:

I think its a really cool conversion and a really neat idea! 

But I'm pretty sure you can't put one model atop another ever. So you won't be able to benefit from both, it would be an either or and based on the Balewind I'd call it a Balewind only. You won't be able to use it as a gnawhole if they are atop each other, only if the Vortex and Gnawhole are beside each other.

Of course in casual games if your opponent allows it, you might get away with it now and then. Otherwise I'd call it a Balewind Vortex and just have it look awesome! 

Hm are you certain?

Because miniatures (heroes, units, endless spells) can climb and be placed on terrain I think. So why wouldn't balewind?

Ahh but you're not, you're removing the base of the Balewind to allow it to balance atop the Gnawhole. 

Some of the terrain rules are, honeslty, the weakest area of AoS and could do with some proper attention I agree. But I'd say its not in the spirit nor design of the rule nor the general interpretation that you can convert one terrain item atop another to stack bonuses for your side. Otherwise everyone would be basing their minis on mobile cover terrain. 

Well that's how magnetizing could help then. If someone disagrees with me placing the vortex and upper platform on top of the gnawhole, I can reassemble the balewind in full and place it in equilibrium on top of the gnawhole or next to it.

A balewind next to a gnawhole still gives the double boost I think (it doesn't say wholly within 1", I think?)

Could it answer the concern?

• 2 weeks later...

OK I received the parts!
The good news is that the base sizes of the gnawholes and bakewind vortexes are almost the same.

IMG_20190221_164418.jpg.63bcad415af7ff128ba77cb0229256e7.jpg

IMG_20190221_180338.jpg.3407d35679f7de58ee42e2f95e47dbcd.jpg

So now I am left with several options:

- gluing a small magnet on the center of the gnawhole to put the balewind on top:

IMG_20190221_180408.jpg.5ed22993e89fedd3e9bf2f50467640a8.jpg

Or just drill a hole the diameter of the balewind in the gnawhole to have a better fit.

Or replace the gnawhole vortex with the balewind base...

IMG_20190221_164350.jpg.2238b5b11442b2681c74afd8c18a76d0.jpg

Tough call...

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

I think you are definitely right but after having slept on it, I think I will do the least conversion possible for now. If it gets FAQed, I don't want to have heavily converted all my gnawholes already. So I think I'll wait a bit.

In the meantime, I just glued magnets here and there.

It works very well! The magnets are strong enough so that everything stays in place. I can easily swap the balewind base with the gnawhole. And move the balewind vortex from gnawholes to gnawholes.

The only problem I encountered is that my models also have magnets incrusted in their bases. However, the polarity are not always the same! So some models cannot stand at the center of the balewind because of the polarity, whereas others gets magnetized on the vortex! Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do besides rebasing all my wizards to invert the polarity. So I guess some wizards will have to stand not exactly at the center of the vortex :)

IMG_20190222_204111.jpg.4e2d4fbe996a80f9f7d37c0f37f64302.jpg

IMG_20190222_204152.jpg.80a407cbd751d48be78227bef7b819da.jpg

My dream now would be to have a bell of doom on top of the balewind instead of the platform, and the screaming bell grey seer on it!!!

4 hours ago, Mandzak-Miniatures said:

Why not just magnetize the vortex and it’s original plate so it can fit over the other one inside the rocks?

Then you could use it as either

That could work and make a better result yes...

However, I would need to cut the outer circle of the balewind plate. As can be seen in the first picture I posted a few days ago, the gnawhole vortex is the same diameter as the inner circle of the balewind plate (more or less). So I would need to cut the balewind plate to be able to fit it inside the rocks.

I think for now I'll assemble and paint it as is, with no cutting. If the combo is powerful enough in game and is here to stay, I'll do more conversion to polish it (either your solution or the one with green stuff)

Archived