Don't like black, other choices?

I want to paint black on some SM I'm getting ready, but I don't want to use flat black because I feel it's too... I don't know... boring/flat/dull?

I'd much rather have a very dark grey that I could toss a layer or two of nuln oil over, then do another layer of the original color so there is an element of shade and depth. I'm not sure if GW makes a paint that would allow me to do this, and I'd rather reduce the amount of mixing I'm doing.

Anyone have any suggestions on paint I could check out that would be a good fit?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

I'm currently working on some dark elves with black armour. I highlight the edges with celestra grey and mix in some white on the highest points. Watch out with using grey on flat areas as the armour might turn out looking grey instead of black. Google on painting black armour, there are a lot of tutorials out there.

I've been doing black on my Wrathmongers over the weekend.  It has used a random mixture of colours though - Forge World Corvus Black, Nuln Oil, Vallejo (Air) Blue Grey, Citadel Fenrisian Grey.  Plus point was absolutely no mixing required

Black_Example.jpg

The biggest pain was the Fenrisian Grey as it was drying on the palette too quickly and going a bit chalky as I was using a small brush.

Hard to tell, depending on the lighting in the photo it could be either. To be honest they're both pretty good to have on hand, and if you want to wash them down with Nuln oil for an almost-black, they'll both work for that.

@RuneBrush Very cool to see pics of a mini painted using FW Corvus black! I have a pot of that which I've been really looking forward to trying out, but I haven't gotten round to it yet, and I haven't seen anyone else using it until now. Nice work, too.

Archived