Let's Chat: Stormsire's Cursebreakers

UnderworldsOnly

6 minutes ago, Red Drake said:

A two symbol spell rolling only 1 crit and no other success will succeed by playing this. 

Admittedly it’s a very low margin, and I probably wouldn’t include it in that deck, but I was being thourough in suggesting cards he could use for more reliable casting

Yes at the cost of directly damaging the character he is buffing to suit, putting him solidly in the danger zone of being ganked by any base 3 damage attack. Or it completely negates the Great Fortitude. A better card to utilize is  Tome of Incantations for the innate Lightning Symbol (Giving you a better chance to succeed as you still roll two dice and only need to roll one Lightning). 

Power surge is reliant upon you actually rolling a crit as well, if you don't roll a crit and only one success it's a wasted card.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@riddlesworth Heres what my current Iteration of Stormsires looks like. The last three games I've played with this I have scored 18,19,23 Glory each time.

Granted I haven't yet drawn a hand that was Victory after Victory, Combination Strike and Superior Tactician, Or any combination of 2/3 of those three. And if I did, I would more than likely Mulligan that, Unless the Score immediately cards I had already played / knew were remaining were going to be super easy to score.

Also out of those two games I'm typically scoring 4-5 Cards a round, with only one or two cards in my hand in the third Action phase.

I'm not completely sold on Great Fortitude and Great speed, however Fortitude assists to Nullify Damning Pact, and Speed gives some extra movement Oomf to Averon's spell casting or Rastus/ Amnis as needed. However in saying that I am not entirely sure what else to add in instead of these two.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0%2C234%2C284%2C291%2C348%2C384%2C273%2CN436%2CN527%2CN389%2CN371%2CN373%2CN503%2CN529%2C329%2CN400%2CN23%2CN25%2CN27%2CN12%2CN15%2C320%2C368%2CN504%2CN501%2CN505%2CN4%2C306%2CN305%2CN7%2C250%2C271%2CN405&fbclid=IwAR38EnvSGJaeGX1D4So67f8glAPTEJbFLxRr9Y3o4o9GpDoxgUG4qTrUkgc

3 hours ago, Desidus said:

i'm not completely sold on Great Fortitude and Great speed, however Fortitude assists to Nullify Damning Pact, and Speed gives some extra movement Oomf to Averon's spell casting or Rastus/ Amnis as needed. However in saying that I am not entirely sure what else to add in instead of these two.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0%2C234%2C284%2C291%2C348%2C384%2C273%2CN436%2CN527%2CN389%2CN371%2CN373%2CN503%2CN529%2C329%2CN400%2CN23%2CN25%2CN27%2CN12%2CN15%2C320%2C368%2CN504%2CN501%2CN505%2CN4%2C306%2CN305%2CN7%2C250%2C271%2CN405&fbclid=IwAR38EnvSGJaeGX1D4So67f8glAPTEJbFLxRr9Y3o4o9GpDoxgUG4qTrUkgc

I look at that objective deck and it looks like you are straight aggro from the get go with 8 objectives based around killing/doing damage. Kudos! I was a bit more conservative with mine, but we have similar glory totals.

I haven't liked Duel of Wits for a while, but you have so many combo cards (centre of attention, damning pact, cry of thunder) that I see why you're fishing for them. I'm on the fence about damning pact because of that - i'd need to have cry of thunder or chain lightning in my hand to make it worthwhile (and to be fair, against both undead warbands and now gobbos, that combo is HEINOUS).

Like the upgrade deck. I think a lot of people are looking at things like Faneway Crystal, but I just didn't get any use out of it and I think just adding speed is the answer. Great Speed on Averon gives him Skritch levels of threat, which very few other warbands can match. I think if you're playing deathly fortitude/sudden growth you don't need great fortitude.

Your opening hand should usually be fine. Although this weekend I drew keep them guessing, superior tactician and escalation and I kept them. No idea why. pure brain ****** and it was the second biggest reason i lost the third game after poor board placement.

On chain lightning and sphere of hysh (since I won't double quote or it) - Chain Lightning is a pretty easy cast (75%) and serves a similar function to trap/twist the knife in my deck, with the added bonus of inspiring averon. a little more RNG, but i've found it useful. As i'm not playing masterstroke, it made sense. Sphere of Hysh....I like more attack dice for Averon and I know I could take determined strike from the core set or haymaker, but again, it's a potential inspiration. It's certainly a bubble card for me but i'll play a few more games with it, having added tome of incantations to support it. It also supports multiple attack actions in the activation, rather than just the first. I need to check whether the next power step is considered part of the activation, because if it is, it's a beauty for a ready for action/time trap combo. It does definitely work with lightning assault though.

If the next releases have more objectives around casting, i'm easier set up for it, but I think your deck is more reliable right now.

13 hours ago, Desidus said:

I think you have a really solid core, I don't like sphere of hyish or chain lightning, I think you could find better options for these two. 

Regarding wasting activations on empower, I only push for empower if I have harness the storm or magical supremacy, or I'm playing against an aggro deck and they make me go first. Other than that, I never touch it in the later rounds. 

Power surge gives him nothing but the guarantee to take one damage to push the spell through. It's not like Wracking change where it directly doubles the damage it causes. 

I only see a place for power surge in Tzeentch decks 

It could be used to cast dicier spells with level one mages. But hopefully Stormsire isn't dead so that isn't something you should plan for

Hi everyone!

I had my first tournaments this weekend using this deck  

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,234,257,L24,N319,N340,N371,N373,N23,N24,384,424,N504,420,435,N473,N548,N12,N471,N442,329,347,356,N14,N400,330,411,291,N389,N503,271,368,243

It was very fun and I'm pretty happy with my performance! I went 4 win and 4 loses during the day! I know I made lots of small errors that costed me glories or even games! But my goal is to improve myself and play more game! Sadly, I don't remember every scores we had. Also the tournament used chess clocks and those things are really stressful  ahah!

My first opponent was Eyes of the Nine and it was pretty close. My first game, I lost 14-15 with a bad play from my part at the last activation allowing him to score alone in darkness :L Sadly I also lost the second game because of a really bad last round draw! So the final glory point differential was -8 for those 2 games!

My second opponent was a skaven player and it was really close match-ups too! It went 2-1 in his favor! My first game went really well. The second one, I got crushed by a super buffed up hungering skaven! My bad positioning meant that he attacked all my models with one charge and managed to down Rastus and soften the others. The last one, Averon missed every damn fulmination attempt and it costed me hard! I only had kill objectives and he played super defensive so I could not do anything! The final differential was -6.

My third opponent of the tourney was Chosen Axes. First time playing against them so I learned pretty quick that they are really brutal once inspired. My opponent managed to score supremacy and 2 other objectives first round so I was pretty far behind, but I managed to come back hard in the second round and kill his leader and another dwarf! The final round I killed the other 2 and the only one alive on my team was Ammis with 3 wounds!  I won with a few more glory. For the second game I got a pretty good hand (with great concussion from the start! ). I played more defensively to avoid charges and stopped him from inspiring turn 1. After that I had a couple of glories and this helped me to snowball very hard and the game finished 12-0 I think. The final differential was +15. :D

In conclusion, I finished 4th on 6 players! Not the best results, but I had only a few games under my belt before it and I was pretty happy with how my deck played.

I also challenged the winner of the tourney (He was playing the gobelins!) for one game after the tournament. It was my first time against the gobbo and they have a strange playstyle! Ahah! The fanatics rolled very well for him! Round 1 he used hidden path to set it behind me and rolled 3 hammers to get him near Averon and Ammis. His second activation he rolled exactly what he needed to smack Averon 3 times and throw him in the middle of his crew! By chance tethered spirit saved me on this one and with all the healing I had in hand, I healed him all up to full! Then with a good fulmination roll and shardgale in hand I managed to kill his damn Fanatic! ? After that it was just mop-up duty and I won by a good margin! It was a good game and I was a little lucky with my draw because I always had everything to counter him!

Pros of my deck: the mix of kill objectives and passives ones really help the dual playstyle of the cursebreakers! I could often go full on aggro or play defensive while still scoring glory! I managed to score superior tactician on most of my games!  Tome of incantations and Arcane familiar are godsend for this warband! I could reliably cast empower or my other spells a lot of time! (except Fulmination)! I really hope we got some upgrades for the swirls because for now it's like trying to attack with 2 swords!

Cons: Massive assault was really hard to score! I only scored it in 1 game. Every time my opponent was positioned for a big burst of dmg, I didn’t had the card in hand or the upgrade to help casting it! :L Also I didn’t used rend the earth once! I didn’t draw it often and the time I did, it was not useful for me. So I think I’ll try a more bruiser Cursebreakers deck for now until we get more spells and more ways to boost fulmination! ?

On 10/31/2018 at 10:23 AM, Cursed said:

Pros of my deck: the mix of kill objectives and passives ones really help the dual playstyle of the cursebreakers! I could often go full on aggro or play defensive while still scoring glory! I managed to score superior tactician on most of my games!  Tome of incantations and Arcane familiar are godsend for this warband! I could reliably cast empower or my other spells a lot of time! (except Fulmination)! I really hope we got some upgrades for the swirls because for now it's like trying to attack with 2 swords!

Cons: Massive assault was really hard to score! I only scored it in 1 game. Every time my opponent was positioned for a big burst of dmg, I didn’t had the card in hand or the upgrade to help casting it! :L Also I didn’t used rend the earth once! I didn’t draw it often and the time I did, it was not useful for me. So I think I’ll try a more bruiser Cursebreakers deck for now until we get more spells and more ways to boost fulmination! ?

Congrats on the showing! Not seeing Cursebreakers dominate anywhere yet as we're trying to figure out the balance of spells for inspiring and the RNG.

I feel you on fulmination. Dice odds says its the same as 2 hammers. but i roll a LOT of channel when i need focus and a LOT of focus when I need channel. arcane familiar and tomes have gone into my deck to compensate. I've also included potion of rage and sphere of hysh (though haymaker and determination are probably better). Praying for a +1 wizard level upgrade in the next release.

How did you find healing potion and vital surge? Since Shadespire, I haven't included any healing in my decks because the meta is so 1 shot heavy. with all the extra damage floating around now i thought they'd be even more redundant. Although one of the things I am toying with at the moment is stacking sudden growth and deathly fortitude on Averon, planting him middle of the board and just using the ranged attacks to pop off with an 8 wound fighter with 2 dice. at that point the healing spells are useful.

3 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

How did you find healing potion and vital surge? Since Shadespire, I haven't included any healing in my decks because the meta is so 1 shot heavy. with all the extra damage floating around now i thought they'd be even more redundant. Although one of the things I am toying with at the moment is stacking sudden growth and deathly fortitude on Averon, planting him middle of the board and just using the ranged attacks to pop off with an 8 wound fighter with 2 dice. at that point the healing spells are useful.

This is exactly how I played Averon! With deathly fortitude and great fortitude he had 7 health and I managed to heal him up to full many times during the tourney! with all the innate lightning and ''replace for lightning'' upgrades I was able to cast vital surge every time! :P 

I was toying with healing pulse a lot because it's somewhat easy to cast! but as you said meta is all about one-shotting so the instant healing is better I think! Maybe in a super defensive deck with lots of ways to add defensive dice and re-roll it could be nice! I don't know, need more testing!

I've heard rumor about future upgrades that boost wizard level, so when this happens it will automatically earns it's spot in my deck! ahah! I don't think we will see a lot of innate ''swirl'' because Arcane shield and sorcerous insight are really really powerful cards! Image using this combo against a 2 wounds warband :

shardgale / sorcerous insight / shardgale again! It would be brutal!!

I really hope we get more reliable damaging spells or some spell attack action upgrades because for now we only have rend the earth and cry of thunder. It feels a little bit short for options! :/ 

On 11/4/2018 at 8:51 AM, Skellisquad said:

It's also interesting because the Blood and Glory Grand Clash decks have just gone up on UnderworldsDB. Both had 6 wins and 2 or 3 losses, so can be considered successful decks.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,235,243,257,272,289,N4,N6,N317,N319,N325,N340,N371,329,331,332,348,356,N12,N389,N405,N412,N442,N23,373,384,N473,N499,N529,N539,N543,N546,N548

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,235,243,257,272,289,291,N317,N319,N340,N371,N12,318,329,331,356,N400,N405,N426,N442,N452,N471,N23,373,384,N473,N499,N526,N529,N539,N543,N546,N548

Objective wise, the decks are pretty similar. Jamie's tournament winning deck has advancing and defensive strike but that's the major difference. All the staples are there in all 3 decks - Alone in the Darkness, Escalation, Harness the Storm, Fired Up, Change of Tactics. What's interesting there is, every deck ran Extreme Flank, which, even being an easy score, I thought would be a bit tough for Cursebreakers with only 3 models.

The power deck is where it gets interesting. Jamie eschewed spell gambits for reliability. Including only Abasoth's Withering ( a 75% cast chance) and Cry of Thunder (just under 50%), with no help to cast Cry of Thunder. He used Inspiration Strikes in his power deck to get Averon inspired. His additional damage came from Trap and Pit Trap.

The B&G decks, though, both used Cry of Thunder and Rend the Earth AND included Damning Pact and Shardgale, as well as casting help from Eye of the Storm, Arcane Familiar and Time of Incantations. The lower finishing deck (still 6 wins) included Sphere of Azyr and Vital Surge. Neither of these two decks used Time Trap or Quick Thinker, which we are told are staples. Quick Thinker was in each of the top 4 finishing decks.

Neither of the two B&G decks had a damage buff in the upgrades or Soultrap/Tethered Spirit, whereas Jamie has Lightning Whip, Gloryseeker and Tempest's Might and the 2 50/50 save upgrades. Everyone took A Destiny to Meet, Slumbering Key, Deathly Fortitude, Sudden Growth and Faneway Crystal.

It looks like the B&G decks were focused on maximising damage output via gambits and finishing off with the strong base stats of the cursebreakers. In a meta that will now include Nighthaunt and Goblins, chucking out cry of thunder and shardgale, or a boosted cry of thunder/rend the earth can net you a fair few easy kills and glory. Jamie's deck seems a bit more conservative and less reliant on the dice rolls for spells, making it more reliable in the early game, but falling behind in damage output once the spellcasting upgrades go out.

I like all 3 decks and my current deck is very close to a mix of the 3.

4 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

@Desidus I love your deck. It reflects the first thing I thought of when I saw the Cursebreakers and their cards: building an objective deck stuffed with eight or nine score-immediately cards. I’ve wanted to run a deck like that since I first played Shadespire, but this is the first time I think it’s viable. 

Desidus seemed to have a great win rate with it. I am not good enough a player into Defensive warbands like steelheart and farstriders to make it work though

15 hours ago, Tutenkharnage said:

@Desidus I love your deck. It reflects the first thing I thought of when I saw the Cursebreakers and their cards: building an objective deck stuffed with eight or nine score-immediately cards. I’ve wanted to run a deck like that since I first played Shadespire, but this is the first time I think it’s viable. 

Thanks man! The latest iteration is definitely working very well. So far in the latest iteration it’s 15-0. 

Its not fantastic for friendly games, and I’ll definitely be cracking it out at the next event over here in Aus.

Got my thiŕd league game in tonight. Deck: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N11,N12,N14,347,348,N389,N436,N27,N499,N503,368,N25,420,424,411,272,235,329,331,N543,384,N539

Vs Chosen Axes

Round 1: 10-10 draw. He wins on objective capture

Round 2: 18-6 to me

Round 3: 11-5 to me

Takeaways:

- the objective deck is spot on for my style of play. I can go defensive for the first round to get buffs up or go all out aggro. I went aggro in the first round and to my shock, he was playing aggro dwarfs. That combined with rolling nothing but supports on my first 6 dice put me in a tough spot. Passive objectives pulled me through. I dont see changing anything out there except maybe shining example for extreme flank.

- getting stormsire inspired is key and its not that easy here. I didnt draw gather the storm and cry of thunder together in any game so that spell became a sub 50% roll. Rest of the ploys/gambits are grand. I may swap gather the storm for inspiration strikes or another single focus or single channel spell.

- upgrades. While averon with sudden growth/deathly fortitude is a terror, in my third game i only killed mad maegrim. The rest of the dawi ran away. I feel like i need to keep his threat range in that 6 band. One of them will be swapped for great fortitude. The other maybe for the innate channel upgrade as the ploy spot is more valuable. The only other upgrade im not sure on is shadeglass darts. It combos well with lightning whip sure but im not sure its entirely necessary other than giving rastus something to do. I might slip potion of rage back in or good ol trusty a destiny to meet. Army of one is calling tome though...

Being able to switch from defensive to aggro on the fly is awesome. Its like playing farstriders without feeling like a dirtbag

3 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

Got my thiŕd league game in tonight. Deck: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N11,N12,N14,347,348,N389,N436,N27,N499,N503,368,N25,420,424,411,272,235,329,331,N543,384,N539

Vs Chosen Axes

Round 1: 10-10 draw. He wins on objective capture

Round 2: 18-6 to me

Round 3: 11-5 to me

Takeaways:

- the objective deck is spot on for my style of play. I can go defensive for the first round to get buffs up or go all out aggro. I went aggro in the first round and to my shock, he was playing aggro dwarfs. That combined with rolling nothing but supports on my first 6 dice put me in a tough spot. Passive objectives pulled me through. I dont see changing anything out there except maybe shining example for extreme flank.

- getting stormsire inspired is key and its not that easy here. I didnt draw gather the storm and cry of thunder together in any game so that spell became a sub 50% roll. Rest of the ploys/gambits are grand. I may swap gather the storm for inspiration strikes or another single focus or single channel spell.

- upgrades. While averon with sudden growth/deathly fortitude is a terror, in my third game i only killed mad maegrim. The rest of the dawi ran away. I feel like i need to keep his threat range in that 6 band. One of them will be swapped for great fortitude. The other maybe for the innate channel upgrade as the ploy spot is more valuable. The only other upgrade im not sure on is shadeglass darts. It combos well with lightning whip sure but im not sure its entirely necessary other than giving rastus something to do. I might slip potion of rage back in or good ol trusty a destiny to meet. Army of one is calling tome though...

Being able to switch from defensive to aggro on the fly is awesome. Its like playing farstriders without feeling like a dirtbag

I'm not a big fan of both Sudden growth & Deathly fortitude either, I think you can definitely get away with 1, even if you're using it to amp up wounds after you already push into your opponents deployment zone.

I don't really like Extreme Flank for Stormsires, as the way I inherently play them is as a core group who pushes forward together as one unit into my opponents face.  You can more than likely sub in something like Great Gains into your deck, as you have enough high scoring Passive objective cards. Although if you were to do this I would definitely swap out Magical Supremacy as I've just found it unreliable and a waste of a second Activation. I'd look at potentially adding in Strong Start.

Regarding your upgrades, Its quite different to what I run, however it really is each to their own. I've never been a fan of Tethered Spirit or Soul trap (They always proc for my opponent and I can't ever recall where the roll has gone my way when I've included them into my decks). Shadeglass Darts actually combos really well with Fighters Ferocity as well (gives you +2 damage on crit rolls). So you can potentially be dealing 3-4 damage (4 with Lightning Whip) at range with Rastus or Amnis - I would float the darts to which ever you don't need the base damage for, depending on whether you need the Cleave or Knockback.

As an aside, I've made a few tweaks to my deck and will be testing this out tomorrow night. The only thing I have played around with is Ploys. I've dropped Abasoths Withering in favor of some movement shenanigans to assist with scoring some of those score immediately cards, or to re-position key pieces accordingly.

Additionally I have dropped Duel of Wits in favour of Improvisation:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,234,284,291,348,384,273,N436,N527,N371,N373,N503,N529,329,N400,N23,N25,N27,N12,368,N504,N501,N505,N4,306,N305,N7,250,271,N405,333,332,361

9 hours ago, Desidus said:

I don't really like Extreme Flank for Stormsires, as the way I inherently play them is as a core group who pushes forward together as one unit into my opponents face.  You can more than likely sub in something like Great Gains into your deck, as you have enough high scoring Passive objective cards. Although if you were to do this I would definitely swap out Magical Supremacy as I've just found it unreliable and a waste of a second Activation. I'd look at potentially adding in Strong Start.

Regarding your upgrades, Its quite different to what I run, however it really is each to their own. I've never been a fan of Tethered Spirit or Soul trap (They always proc for my opponent and I can't ever recall where the roll has gone my way when I've included them into my decks). Shadeglass Darts actually combos really well with Fighters Ferocity as well (gives you +2 damage on crit rolls). So you can potentially be dealing 3-4 damage (4 with Lightning Whip) at range with Rastus or Amnis - I would float the darts to which ever you don't need the base damage for, depending on whether you need the Cleave or Knockback.

with 4 gambit spells, plus stormsire and the 2 fighters with empower, magical supremacy is an easy score for me and fuels superior tactician in the end game.
on the upgrades, i'm a big soultrap and tethered spirit fan, but obviously, its a 50/50 dice roll so its better to just not take enough damage in the first place. if arcane shield was easier to cast, i'd be all over it. I've always found upgrades to be where the most flexibility is in a deck. I kept darts for rastus. made 1 attack with them. scored a crit. they're decent, but i've found i'm spending most of my activations on stormsire and ammis. rastus comes into his own against nighthaunt and gobbos. all those 2 damage fighters and precise use of force/measured strike in my deck is gold.

On your tweaked deck - only 1 damaging gambit spell doesn't justify damning pact imo. rest of it i'm on board with. as i've said before, its way more aggro than i like. How many defensive steelhrearts or farstriders are you playing? i'd have thought they'd be a tough matchup for you without hidden paths.

8 hours ago, riddlesworth said:

with 4 gambit spells, plus stormsire and the 2 fighters with empower, magical supremacy is an easy score for me and fuels superior tactician in the end game.
on the upgrades, i'm a big soultrap and tethered spirit fan, but obviously, its a 50/50 dice roll so its better to just not take enough damage in the first place. if arcane shield was easier to cast, i'd be all over it. I've always found upgrades to be where the most flexibility is in a deck. I kept darts for rastus. made 1 attack with them. scored a crit. they're decent, but i've found i'm spending most of my activations on stormsire and ammis. rastus comes into his own against nighthaunt and gobbos. all those 2 damage fighters and precise use of force/measured strike in my deck is gold.

On your tweaked deck - only 1 damaging gambit spell doesn't justify damning pact imo. rest of it i'm on board with. as i've said before, its way more aggro than i like. How many defensive steelhrearts or farstriders are you playing? i'd have thought they'd be a tough matchup for you without hidden paths.

Damning pact also works with Stormsires base spell attack action don't forget. Sometimes it's used to guarantee a round 1 first activation kill, or to increase his damage to 4 if he's inspired and tempests might is out. 

Im playing a fair bit of farstriders / steelhearts but they aren't full defensive decks. 

Hello,

I'm a fairly new player and I'm working my way to getting all of the warbands and the cards I need to be competitive in a tournament.

I've  been playing cursebreakers a few times a week, and as I've been scouring databases, facebook, and whetever else I can I've found a deck that I'm fairly comfortable playing.

I play the deck somewhat aggressive and it seems to work, but I can switch tactics if I need to if I'm ahead on glory.

So here is my cursebreaker deck (with parts taken from the latest B&G event.   let me know if you like it.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,N12,N14,N23,N24,N25,N27,330,253,N442,N471,N394,377,391,N340,N308,N367,N357,N373,N371,250,N486,N548,368,N499,234,243,373,329,347,356,N15,N504

23 hours ago, CTSparky said:

Hello,

I'm a fairly new player and I'm working my way to getting all of the warbands and the cards I need to be competitive in a tournament.

I've  been playing cursebreakers a few times a week, and as I've been scouring databases, facebook, and whetever else I can I've found a deck that I'm fairly comfortable playing.

I play the deck somewhat aggressive and it seems to work, but I can switch tactics if I need to if I'm ahead on glory.

So here is my cursebreaker deck (with parts taken from the latest B&G event.   let me know if you like it.

https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N4,N6,N12,N14,N23,N24,N25,N27,330,253,N442,N471,N394,377,391,N340,N308,N367,N357,N373,N371,250,N486,N548,368,N499,234,243,373,329,347,356,N15,N504

Your link is broken mate 

On 11/7/2018 at 7:33 PM, CTSparky said:

Hello,

sorry here is the text.  

Faction: Stormsire's Cursebreakers

Objectives (12)
Advancing Strike
Change of Tactics
Crushing Force
Denial
Harness the Storm
Magical Supremacy
Dashed Hopes
Keep Them Guessing
Opening Gambit
Singled Out
Sorcerous Scouring
Strong Start

Gambits (11)
Great Concussion
Healing Potion
Quick Thinker
Shardgale
Time Trap
Cry of Thunder
Gather the Storm
Lightning Assault
Arcane Shield
Rend the Earth
Vital Surge

Upgrades (11)
A Destiny to Meet
Blessed Armour
Great Strength
Eye of the Storm
Hurricane Step
Lightning Whip
Tempest's Might
Champion's Fortitude 
Faneway Crystal
Great Fortitude
Tome of Incantations

I like it for an aggressive deck. Two heals is the only odd bit but let us know how it goes? You may struggke against defensive decks as you have only 4 passive objectives. Youre relying on spells to do damage but you need upgrades to reluably cast spells but you need glory to equip uogrades and your glory is mostly about killing. It can work with averon's range and ammis being used as a suicide missile though.

On that note, won my first glass this weekend! 14 players.

Here's the deck i took: https://www.underworldsdb.com/shared.php?deck=0,N6,N7,N4,243,257,284,291,L24,N319,N371,N11,N12,347,348,N389,N27,N499,N503,368,N25,420,424,272,235,329,331,N539,N23,N504,N400,N442,N473

Plays to a flex strategy. If i need to play defensive vs super aggro i can, then take the fight to them with upgrades. I can also be aggressive into defensive bands while scoring glory and upgrading on the way in.

Game 1 vs Nighthaunt - win 11-12, loss 11-8, win 18-7

Ive been playing against Nighthahnt a lot since release and they seem really popular. The briar queen is a terror when upgraded and my opponent was a good player. He pushed me in the first round to where i only had ammis left and in the round i lost, it was because his briar queen got a shot onto averon before i could soultrap him. However, like all 7 model warbands, they bleed glory and any objectives around killing are grand against them because its a target rich environment. In our third game, i had great concussion turn 1 and he didnt pull his push counters out so i got my.glory engine rolling and stopped his, which just snowballed.

Game 2 vs nighthaunt - win 13-6, win 14-8.

First game was a story of bad varclav placement and a great hand turn 1 for me. Inspired ammis, hidden paths, time trap, dead varclav. Without him, the ghost movement advantage goes away.

Second game, i just chipped away at the chainrasps while keeping out of range of the briar queen and varclav until i had enough glory to make a run at the lady. Some comical dice on both sides (4 briar queen attacks vs 1 wound averon failed, 3 averon attacks doing 4 damage failed...) prevented more glory being scored but i had this locked up in turn 2.

Game 3 vs magores - win 10-4, win 18-6

I could have been drawn against cursebreakers or farstriders but instead i got magores, which is a decent matchup for me with my ability to play defensive turn 1. I had to ditch my open hand in round 1 of escalation, alone in the darkness and superior tactician which is why the score was lower, but i played the range game while sacrificing Rastus to the throne of skulls. Second game, my opening hand of change of tactics, harness the storm and fired up, drawing into precise use of force and getting a cheeky kill on an overenthusiastic zarkhus meant 5 glory in turn 1 and it just snowballed from there with my upgrades.

When all was said and done, I was top by 2 glory and took home the glass.

What I learnt: i think my year of being handicapped by chosen axe play is starting to pay off, i didnt make too many positioning mistakes either through movement or setup. At this point in time, the only board i'm playing cursebreakers on is the nightvault board with 3 blocked hexes in a pyramid. Its a great board to play defensive if you lose the board placement roll. It also has deployment hexes on all 4 edge so even if you need to play aggro and lose board you'll have 1 fighter able.to reach out to someone. I used the nightvault board with no blocked or lethal hexes  once when i won deoyment and wanted to be super aggro into ghosts.

Also the amount of damage cursebreakers can put out after getting spell boostjng upgrades is insane.

On the deck:

Objectives: pretty well refined for my playstyle. But the more gambit spells i have, the more difficult master of war will be to score. Contemplating replacing it with an easy 1 score, but im not sure which one yet. Maybe singled out... but thats a tough turn 1 score where master of war was not.

Ploys/gambits: centre of attention is my only bubble here. While its niche use (grouping up for rend the earth or cry of thunder) its amazing at, i did have times it was a dead draw. I'm thinking distraction would provide more utility and help to score alone in the darkness. Other options include shardgale (but i don't like putting my dudes in easy 1 shot range), another damaging spell like sphere of azyr, or damning pact for combo. 

Upgrades: everything here is good. As i add more gambit spells, i may try to drop something for tome of incantation. If a +1 wizard level upgrade is released, thats an auto include for me.

Ok, I'm trying to build a Nightvault only Cursebreakers deck with a focus on Spells and I'm having trouble, mostly because the card throughput is very low in Season 2 for the moment.  There's no card draw cards in the season and I'm finding it difficult to get the Glory chains moving to start moving through the deck. It's all a bit clunky.

I'm aware that moving from a Season 1 or Open card pool into a S2 only card pool will obviously have a drop off in card function and quality but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad.

What are your Season 2 absolute "must haves" for Cursebreakers?

2 hours ago, Zimagic said:

I'm aware that moving from a Season 1 or Open card pool into a S2 only card pool will obviously have a drop off in card function and quality but I wasn't expecting it to be quite this bad.

/CardNerd

I wouldn't worry just yet. We're currently on about 143/267 universal cards released so far.

As we saw with Shadespire, GW do a pretty good job of spreading the doozies across the expansions.

A pure season 2 deck is going to be tying an arm behind your back for the next few months.

1 hour ago, BaldoBeardo said:

/CardNerd

A pure season 2 deck is going to be tying an arm behind your back for the next few months.

? Yes, yes I am!

Yeah, I get that, but I'm doing it for a few reasons.

I play in 2 groups with huge differences in card availability and skill from player to player. I have 4 decks right now that go from Skaven & Farstriders that are card for card as good as I can make them, through Objective Thorns which are good but obv suffer hugely against teams playing movement ploys all the way off the high cliff down to Cursebreakers which are terribly pedestrian. 

Second reason is my own card availability. 3 Decks is ok if I just ignore that Thorns just dies to  Earthquake & friends but going into that 4th deck, there's just some key upgrades & objectives that are taken by other decks. 

Then there's trying to play with as many cards as possible before I dump 99% of them back in the box, never to be touched again! ?

5 hours ago, Zimagic said:

What are your Season 2 absolute "must haves" for Cursebreakers?

Man this is actually tough, mainly because outside of Harness the Storm, Magical Supremacy and Measured Strike, their faction objectives suck/are too difficult to score for the glory return. Devestating Blow might be OK with the amount of Nighthaunt popping up, especially if you are pumping the damage spells.

Objective wise, What Armour? Keep Them Guessing, Extreme Flank are the standouts. Hale and Whole fits a defensive playstyle, though I don't think they excel at it due to aforementioned faction objectives and even Steelhearts I think will move towards more aggro play as there is so much range in the game, with more to come.  Fired Up, Singled Out (because you will be stacking a lot on Stormsire), Conquest/Denial are options, as is Dashed Hopes. Grand Melee if, again, you're playing many damage spells (though for 1 glory its suboptimal), Strong Start is solid.

Ploy wise i think they are in much better shape. Cry of Thunder, Rend the Earth, Sphere of Azyr, Abasoth's Withering, Centre of Attention, Chain Lightning, Irrisistable Prize, Lightning Assault, Gather the Storm, Countercharge, Pit Trap, Damning Pact can make a functional deck in V2 only.

Upgrade wise, Great Fortitude, Sudden Growth, Slumbering Key, Tome of Glories, Lightning Whip, Eye of the Storm, Arcane Familiar, Tome of Incantations, Great Strength, Gloryseeker, Tempests Might, Great Speed, Faneway Crystal

Archived