"Here Be Monsters!" (Update Sept 28)

brettfp

So, I had an idea for an army, basically it's just as many monsters as I can get. I'm gonna use all sorts of monsters from multiple grand alliances (meaning it's mostly an open play army) but it's gonna mostly be an Order army.

The main idea is that it's a bunch of Empire soldier deserters who have decided to go hunt big game in the wilds of Ghur. So i'll be replacing all the riders/passengers with some wild looking Empire dudes :) There's a bit of backstory and character in my head, just have to try to put it into words...

Another part will be painting all the animals like Australian animals, it's something I haven't seen before and as an Aussie I thought it would be a fun idea, also it'll teach me how to paint colours I don't normally use.

So anyway onto the pictures (Sorry for the average pictures, these are the first one I've taken with my new phone)

Some gryphhounds

EDwcuxR.jpg

Kookaburra, Magpie, Cockatoo. These guys were my test/proof of concept models.

A Stegadon

zyflCMh.jpg

Still needs quite a bit of GS to de-Seraphon the markings on the howdah. He's gonna be painted like a frill-necked lizard. I also made a test passenger for it.

oLF9PZa.jpg

There's obviously going to be a lot of 'counts-as' in this army, His gun will count as a skink spear

Also the start of a spider

2qb70D9.jpg

Probably gonna use an empire cannon as a web flinger on this guy, still need to figure out how though. He's gonna be painted like a red=backed spider

So, That's what I have so far... Thoughts?

For many years I've waited for GW to give us a beast heavy fantasy army - Wood elves never lived up to it! Oddly  right now Stormcast are about the best with all their mystical mounts and allies - however because of how broad and big stormcast are most of their mounts are equally as big and thus rather oversized for mounts for other races. 

Looking forward to seeing what you make with this army ! 

So, a bit more progress

Finished painting the Gryph-hounds

m6V9nwX.jpg

Ibis, Rosella, Gallah

Liking how these came out, plus doing colours I don't normally do.

Also finished building the Stegadon

mK0NTMA.jpg

The idea changed slightly as I built it, but I'm pretty happy with how it's come out. I added some Orc trophies, as I imagine these guys fight a lot of Orcs what with living in Ghur and all. I also tried to make it all look a bit DIY as they're living off the land and don't access to proper to  forges etc.

I'm putting the Spider on hold for now, as I'm a bit stuck and need to have a think about how to achieve my plan with it...

Thoughts?

On 9/24/2018 at 8:42 PM, Ragnar Alpaca said:

I think this is a great idea, can’t wait to see what you come up with.

On 9/24/2018 at 8:45 PM, Frodeck said:

Anxious to see what's next :D

On 9/25/2018 at 6:50 AM, Remus Prime said:

This is a really fun idea, I want to see more!

Thanks! I also want to see more :)

On 9/25/2018 at 6:56 AM, Overread said:

For many years I've waited for GW to give us a beast heavy fantasy army - Wood elves never lived up to it! Oddly  right now Stormcast are about the best with all their mystical mounts and allies - however because of how broad and big stormcast are most of their mounts are equally as big and thus rather oversized for mounts for other races. 

Looking forward to seeing what you make with this army ! 

Yeah, that was kind of the logic behind the idea, that it didn't exist.

I do plan to use Stormcast mounts, I'm thinking there will be some oversized weapons, Dark Souls style  :)

• brettfp changed the title to "Here Be Monsters!" (Update Sept 28)
  • 2 months later...

Archived