Protecting Game Tiles

Kroll

I just got Silver Tower and I’ve been putting everything together and getting the models ready to paint. I was just wondering if anyone else has done anything to protect the game tiles from fraying? Was thinking of putting a bit of PVA around the edges. 

That's an interesting idea and just may work. After using the PVA glue, maybe run a black permanent marker or black paint over the glue to give the tiles a black edge? not sure if that would rub off though. I suppose one could run some 'ardcoat over the black.

I would test this on some of the 'sprue' cardboard that's left over after punching out the tiles. It's the same material so whatever result you get there is what you'll get on our tiles.

Good luck and please share your findings!

You want to use a Uni Posca PC8K chisel tip marker pen. They leave a beautiful gloss finish on the cardboard edges that match the finish on the artwork. If you overspill you can scratch the excess off with your fingernail. It is fairly quick to do as well. We did the whole set, including markers in about 30 mins with help from my brother. We didn't even worry about cleaning up the edges with a knife before using the pens either.

You could just use the black pen but the light blue works great for the portals and the red, white, dark blue and purple pens did an awesome job of the experience tokens. Improves the look of your set no end. Hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Greyshadow said:

You want to use a Uni Posca PC8K chisel tip marker pen. They leave a beautiful gloss finish on the cardboard edges that match the finish on the artwork. If you overspill you can scratch the excess off with your fingernail. It is fairly quick to do as well. We did the whole set, including markers in about 30 mins with help from my brother. We didn't even worry about cleaning up the edges with a knife before using the pens either.

You could just use the black pen but the light blue works great for the portals and the red, white, dark blue and purple pens did an awesome job of the experience tokens. Improves the look of your set no end. Hope this helps.

Thanks that’s really helpful. 

So... when doing “paper-Hammer” and building with cardboard to make vehicles etc. I used to use the liquid (not gel) superglue on cardboard edges.

However ... there’s a whole thread over on Board Game Geek about protecting boards and tokens:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/938757/sealing-game-boards-and-cardboard-tokens-spray-acr

One the recommendations was a video from Snakes & Lattes (they’re a game/coffee shop) about game maintenance for a board game coffee shop.

He recommends using spray varnish.

10 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

So... when doing “paper-Hammer” and building with cardboard to make vehicles etc. I used to use the liquid (not gel) superglue on cardboard edges.

However ... there’s a whole thread over on Board Game Geek about protecting boards and tokens:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/938757/sealing-game-boards-and-cardboard-tokens-spray-acr

One the recommendations was a video from Snakes & Lattes (they’re a game/coffee shop) about game maintenance for a board game coffee shop.

He recommends using spray varnish.

Thanks, sounds like a good way to go. 

Archived