"Wood Elf" Army in AoS

Charlo

So what is the best way to play the old school wood elves in AoS?

Always liked the mix of archers and tree-monsters but it seems they've been split into Wanderers and Sylvaneth now?

Does Grand Alliance Order cover it - or is there just not enough going for them?

Do you go Wanderer primary with Sylv allies, or the other way around? 400pts is not enough...!

Sylvaneth with wanderer allies.. I'd forget wanderers.. The old models that are not even wanderer .. well they don't have any good abilities, no command abilities... in mixed order you could use them as allies.. But as a major part of an army they don't offer much besides their stats. Treekin used to be decent but gradually got nerfed into averageness.  I think (haven't looked recently and no books with me) the waywatcher unit and the stag and eagle hero where acceptable as part of an mixed order army.. however with the changes to command abilities them lacking those means that is a minus for them too.

Can run a Gnarlroot Battalion of Sylvaneth and use sisters of the thorn as your order wizzard, you can then effectivly have 620 points of wanders.

Sisters also work really well with a unit of 30 dryads.

If you want to use more of the older models (warhark riders, why are they not wanderers) then you can use the compendium in an Order army freely.

There is still the opportunity to run a "The living City" army under Grand Alliance Order. Basically you get all the order Allegiance Abilities as well as some special rules on top of it.

For a first look go at https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/10/25/firestorm-the-living-city-oct-25gw-homepage-post-3/

This thread might give you further discussions:

I think it´s one of the best ways to run "Wood Elves with Treemen". ;)

On 8/14/2018 at 1:58 AM, Charlo said:

Do you go Wanderer primary with Sylv allies, or the other way around? 400pts is not enough...!

If you play Winterleaf the core of your army could be 4 x 10 Dryads a Branchwraith a substantial Order unit  (from the battalion) then 400 points of Wanderer allies.

There isn't anything wrong with playing a traditional Wood Elf list either.  If your gaming area is guys with 6th, 7th, or 8th edition Fantasy armies there will be likely be people with even TK or Brets.  We have a local guy with TKs.  You can still use your older models, even older war scrolls and points from previous editions of the GHB if the army no longer exists.  It is just a game and the vocal minority of tournament gamers tend to drive the online direction.  

Play what suits you and your gaming group.  Don't worry too much about what lists weren't allowed at some UK tournament :)  It's just a game and hobby, not your life.

On 8/15/2018 at 2:59 AM, Davros said:

Can run a Gnarlroot Battalion of Sylvaneth and use sisters of the thorn as your order wizzard, you can then effectivly have 620 points of wanders.

Sisters also work really well with a unit of 30 dryads.

If you want to use more of the older models (warhark riders, why are they not wanderers) then you can use the compendium in an Order army freely.

Can have more points of wanderers if you get a large unit of sisters... (warlocks would be etter then though)

On 8/14/2018 at 6:04 PM, Aezeal said:

I'd forget wanderers.. The old models that are not even wanderer .. well they don't have any good abilities, no command abilities...

Here are some people who disagree! It ain't a fully fleshed out faction of course but the wanderers allegiance abilities are pretty cool in my opinion. And you don't need a lot of Sylvaneth wildwoods to take advantage of the allegiance abilities ;) Although they are also very cool and fluffy!

I personally would go wanderers with Melee Kurnoth hunters as allies. They function very well anyway and add some melee which wanderers lack. That way you have the mix of trees and elves a bit.

The other way could work very well as well. Mobile and melee focussed Sylvaneth backed by all shooting sisters of the watch or Glade Guard. My doubt would be that Kurnoth hunters with bows would be better in that army :S 

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

I personally would go wanderers with Melee Kurnoth hunters as allies. They function very well anyway and add some melee which wanderers lack. That way you have the mix of trees and elves a bit.

A Knight of Azyros would compliment the Nomad Prince with that backup (if you're likely playing mixed order).

I've rebased all my Treekin and added weapons from the Hunter sprues.  Something to consider for people coming from having a larger older Wood Elf army.

23 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

A Knight of Azyros would compliment the Nomad Prince with that backup (if you're likely playing mixed order).

I've rebased all my Treekin and added weapons from the Hunter sprues.  Something to consider for people coming from having a larger older Wood Elf army.

Yeah, there a lot of cool mixed order armies options! And a Knight of Azyros is a great addition to practically every army haha! For clarity we're talking about his re-rolls 1 to hit when targeting enemies with 10" of him. (And with fly, 12" move and 3+ save, it's worth it to move him forward, even if it only forces your opponent to deal with him).

Archived