Ive been making steady progress on my entry for our clubs Paint a Silver Tower Hero competition ready for next month. So far I have made reasonable progress on the metals, although I do want to go in with a bit of weathering and some scratches in places. Ive also finished the red robes, although its pretty subtle and doesn't really photograph well. One thing I wanted to try and create was a Golden Demon style base for him to be displayed on. I found a chunk of wood that I cut and sanded to shape and then went to town with some play bark and cork which is topped off with some plasticard. I then filled the whole thing with filler so it could be sanded square. Tonight I've added in the pipe and the rocks to start to add some Duardin ingenuity to the whole thing. I have to add a small overflow pipe coming out of the rocks and I'll be adding some water effects to the base when its finished. Whole thing needs to be completed by the 7th June....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_6292.MOV

Although I'm supposed to be painting Eternal Guard I actually spent the last few evenings finishing off my Duardin Cogsmith. I wanted to work with metals and try out some techniques to get old weathered metal and I'm pleased with the results. I still struggle to get the really bright highlights in though. 

The base was a really fun experiment to do. It was something very different to any base I've made before, but I took a lot of inspiration from James Wappells blog where there are loads of homemade bases. 

It's the first time I've tried to do a 'competition style' mini so if anyone has any critiques please let me know as I'd love to try a few more and get better, particularly with things like composition. Now I just need to find a competition to enter him in! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Finished my 10 Eternal Guard for this weekends tournament. Not sure how much I'll use them, but definitely going to try and squeeze them in as objective grabbers. Paint scheme is the usual quick wood elf scheme I've been using. I do need some more forest meadow flowers for the bases. I also haven't done a rune on the banner yet as not really sure what to go for! 

image.jpeg

My first model finished for this month is more of an experiment in a new basing style. I saw some really cool basing on some Stormcast by Dave Roberts at Call to War this weekend. One problem I've encountered is undercoat paint being pulled off polyfilla when the texture paint goes over the top. This time I varnished the base before applying the Khorne red which went under the Martian Iron Earth and this seemed to stop it lifting which was good. I tried a different  colour palette on the rocks which I was happy with and also some new tall grasses to add interest. I was pretty pleased with the bones and skull on the ground at the front too. 

Hope you like the pictures :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be updating this post any more - I have moved everything to the blog section instead. 

Thanks for all the great replies people have left, and I hope you check the blog out too! I'll try and mix in some older stuff as well as the newer AoS models just to keep up some regular content. 

Archived