Need help deciding between Nighthaunt or Legions Of Nagash

Shinzra

Hello and good evening everyone.

So I am currently deciding between a full Nighthaunt army or a Legions Of Nagash army, I have some Nighthaunt parts from the soul wars box.

I really like the look of the Mortarch models and also Nagash, though not sure if they are any good in game, the Nighthaunt models are also very nice so quite tricky to decide. With a competitive mindset of maybe going to some events and so fourth with the army, what would you guys recommend or from your experiences, how have each of the two listed armies performed

Cheers

Both Arkhan and Nagash are competitive choices right now, although Nagash really requires you to build your entire list around him as he is so expensive. Both Neferata and Mannfred are perfectly usable for casual play but neither are very competitive.

One thing to really consider is playstyle. Legions of Nagash is a pretty diverse tome that can suit several different playstyles, but the most competitive playstyle is going to be relatively grindy. Your big advantage is that you have access to defensively efficient units and can easily heal them through Deathly Invocation and even bring back destroyed units through Endless Legions. 

Nighthaunt, on the other hand, does have some healing but it tends to be more limited and it cant (iirc) bring back destroyed units. Nighthaunt playstyle is likely to be a lot more aggressive using their deployment shenanigans and charge bonuses. It's also worth noting that Nighthaunt units are really very uniform in their defensive characteristics. Basically all of their units are at their best against rendy attacks but are weaker against either efficient non-rend attacks or mortal wounds. That means you are likely to have somewhat more extreme matchups where you feel great against one opponent who is heavily invested in rend while you feel disadvantaged against a different opponent who is either bringing a lot of cheap no-rend attacks or mortal wounds.

Personally, I'd go with whichever one fits your preferred playstyle more. You can always use some Nighthaunt units in your Legion of Nagash army (either at baseline or through allies) or ally in something like Arkhan in your Nighthaunt army.

Having the same challenge. In my view Legions of Nagash has greater durability and overall a better toolbox of things to draw from. On the other hand I feel Nighthaunt have more movement- which I’ve always believed to be pretty important (although the prevalence of alpha striking is making me rethink that), and if they get that 10” charge then that can really swing a game.

I remain undecided.

I'd go LoN no question.

LoN is the RICHEST army in the whole game. You can play whatever style you want up to extrem styles: super megaboss (nagash), super heavy magic, horde, elites, fun, super fun, ...There are so many entries in the army. And the bonus? Nighthaunt is kind of an extension to the LoN!! 

Beggining  with NH to extend to LoN doesn't work very well. But LoN expanding to NH works like a breeze. I have both. I can play whatever I want in this game!

As a side note, Stormcast is close to this advantage.

PS: LoN is a long way investment in the game. 

PS2: secondary (or main?) bonus: LoN or LoN+NH are competitive righ now.

Archived