Coven Throne for Nighthaunts

Callidan

Hello out there. I was thinking of doing a conversation with the Coven Throne to make it look more Nighthaunt and was wanting to know what more experienced players thought. Is it to expensive for what it does? It looks like it would work out well with being able to heal 3 different units and bring back slain  models. It can also let a unit re-roll hit and save rolls for its command ability and is a wizard. My thought was to place it around a  couple of big group and just let it do it’s thing. What do you all think?

I have personally never been a huge fan of the Coven Throne. I do know there are people that do like it, but from what I understand, you have to build around it.

Might I recommend looking into the standard Vampire Lord. Same exact version of Deathly Invocation, wizard, etc. But his command ability is to give a unit +1 attack on all weapons (3 attack Grimghast reapers are pretty great).

I highly rate the coven throne as it's a good platform for dice roll relics, good support trait and points is pretty cheap for what you get.  

If used in a nagash list it can abuse amaranthine orb easily due to the free reroll it gets, same reasoning for the artefacts that require a dice roll to work as that reroll can help justifying the artifact.   

In combat it's abit of a beast with 25 attacks in total when full health can make for a great light infantry shredder, used with its unique spell it can stop any return damage while you go through such units easily enough.  

It's command trait grants rerolls to hit wound and save which is very strong on most units. Throw it on grimghast reapers to gain mystic shield and reroll 1s to wound or used on hexwraiths to use all 3 parts of the rerolls.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:47 AM, Callidan said:

I was thinking of doing a conversation with the Coven Throne

Tell her she's pretty!

On a serious note I do find the coven throne to be fun for dealing with hordey units and anything that's kinda squishy as it can let out a lot of attacks. Its beguile spell to stop enemy targeting it is also quite useful when it goes off as it gives some nice defence.

Honestly there's so much fun you could do with a conversion that I'd say go for it! The coven throne can be made to work quite well and frankly makes a wonderful centrepiece in an army. Might not be as competitive as a VLOZD but it's nice and flavourful anyway and definitely worth playing around since it's not too expensive points wise.

I didn't understant until....I read the warscroll on the LoN battletome. Because the warscroll online at GW is the old one :S

I must say, that for 260p, it is a nice unit. It deals more damage than 6 spirits for the same price, has several nice utilities, not super expensive compared to a VL....

I'll try to find some combo... in the death lines...

3 hours ago, GeneralZero said:

I didn't understant until....I read the warscroll on the LoN battletome. Because the warscroll online at GW is the old one :S

I must say, that for 260p, it is a nice unit. It deals more damage than 6 spirits for the same price, has several nice utilities, not super expensive compared to a VL....

I'll try to find some combo... in the death lines...

Let me know what you find! I wanna start using mine more too.

I have to mount it first :P I just finished building my VLoZD.  I'm looking for infos to magnetize a dual usage Mortis/Coven throne.

I love those big piece of plastic. And in a GW standart, they are pretty cheap compared to the new black coach which is mono miniature and not bigger than the mortis/coven throne. 

47 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

It drives me nuts that the mortis engine isn’t allowed for NH, I always have wanted it to be my centerpiece of a ghost army. I dont mind the Coven throne but is pretty expensive for what it does so I am really wrestling with it.

To me, a Coven Throne works *really* nicely in a Nighthaunt army. Its CA gives some really good buffs to pretty much any unit you slap it on, since its like a supercharged mystic shield. It also still has the unnerfed Frightful Touch on her Ghost Swarm, and guess which Ghostly Bride gives a +1 to hit towards a target unit?

She gives another spell, and is absurdly fast at 14". Give her the Ethereal Amulet from Shyish, and for all acounts, shes practically a Nighthaunt.

19 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

To me, a Coven Throne works *really* nicely in a Nighthaunt army. Its CA gives some really good buffs to pretty much any unit you slap it on, since its like a supercharged mystic shield. It also still has the unnerfed Frightful Touch on her Ghost Swarm, and guess which Ghostly Bride gives a +1 to hit towards a target unit?

She gives another spell, and is absurdly fast at 14". Give her the Ethereal Amulet from Shyish, and for all acounts, shes practically a Nighthaunt.

Fair, for me, I just prefer the mortis engine thematically and feel it is so ghost esque with its swirling banshees. Plus I already have a massive death army filled with vampires so prefer to keep my NH about ghosts. Also that 50pt difference is huge. Im finding builds so tight so that extra savings would really help. Unfortunately, GW didnt feel NH should have access to most of Death as allies.

43 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Unfortunately allies can’t be given any artefact so the Coven Throne can’t get the amulet in a Nighthaunt army.

35 minutes ago, TheWolfLord said:

Unfortunately allies can’t be given any artefact so the Coven Throne can’t get the amulet in a Nighthaunt army.

Mind posting the page? I haven't seen that posted anywhere. And its a realm artifact, not a allegiance artifact?

11 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Mind posting the page? I haven't seen that posted anywhere. And its a realm artifact, not a allegiance artifact?

It’s in the Core Rules Designers Commentary FAQ, it doesn’t matter what type of artefact either unfortunately.

Q: Can allied Heroes be given artefacts of power, and can allied Wizards be given spells from a spell lore?
A: No to both questions.

1 hour ago, TheWolfLord said:

It’s in the Core Rules Designers Commentary FAQ, it doesn’t matter what type of artefact either unfortunately.

Q: Can allied Heroes be given artefacts of power, and can allied Wizards be given spells from a spell lore?
A: No to both questions.

Ah, still, more artifacts for the rest of the army.  And honestly, I still feel like it doesn't need it. 

6 minutes ago, Undeadly said:

Ah, still, more artifacts for the rest of the army.  And honestly, I still feel like it doesn't need it. 

The Coven Throne is still a good choice, I completely agree with your previous comments, all its abilities are very useful in a Nighthaunt list.

Using the CT, an artefact and Mystic Shield we can get reroll 1’s to save on 3 separate units.

imagine the 2 units from a Shroudguard and a big unit of Reapers all getting that. Very tough to get through and very nasty in return.

Lol @Lightboxjust realized what I put down.

Can I ask where it says who Night Haunts can take as allies? I know that you can’t take a Mortis Engine as an Allie as I read it in this months White Dwarf but where do I find the list of what they can and can’t take as allies?

56 minutes ago, Callidan said:

Lol @Lightboxjust realized what I put down.

Can I ask where it says who Night Haunts can take as allies? I know that you can’t take a Mortis Engine as an Allie as I read it in this months White Dwarf but where do I find the list of what they can and can’t take as allies?

Allies are listed in the relevant Pitched Battle Profiles of the Generals Handbook and the Nighthaunt Battletome.

Archived