The Nagash Thread

CanHammer-darren

hey guys, i wanted to start a serious discussion about nagash.  I really really wanna find a good compettive way to use this monstrously awesome model and the figurehead of our whol grand alliance.  800 points is a doozy! and any little aspect of him that you're not using seems like a waste of points.  Way I see it, I think you need to satisfy the following things to effectively use Nagash:

1) ways to make him harder to kill

He can't take artifact that makes him "ethereal" which sucks.  He has reroll of save with his command ability.  First Cohort does this too and allows him to slough wounds to morghasts.  So 3+ with a reroll, death save, and his 4+ against mortals makes him tough, but perhaps not tough enough to survive a whole game.  Any other options? Anything out there can give him -1 to hit?

2) You need to make use of his multiple casting ability

He can only use 1 endless spell at a time, so by definition, you can't make full use of nagash without there being more death wizards on the battlefield.  I think that means you have to run him with at least 1-2 other wizards.  Arkhan is an expensive option, but awesome cause it extends his range, necromancer, vampire lord come to mind.  Due to allegiance issues, flesheater wizards are not as useful in this role.  

3) Extend his range

Arkhan is the obvious thing here, using his command ability multiple times will make him a larger threat at range.  The spell portal is another obvious one that will greatly extend his influence. making him move faster would be awesome, but i feel like there's nothing out there without sacrificing something else.

4) melee ability

He is actually decent in melee, although the tendency is to hang him in a castle of bones and just spell people to death, hes decent in combat and hopefully if  requirement number 1 is satisfied he won't get too ganked.

With these in mind, I'm looking at ways to run him.  Be awesome if we could just run him and some mortarchs and do well, but that's just not possible.  So assuming we need 40-100 chaff bodies (probably skeletons makes most sense and synergy), that leaves us with not much points.  Here's a list I'm throwing around right now.

Nagash

Arkhan

Vampire Lord

Skeletons (40/20/10)

spell portal

OR

First Cohort battallion

Nagash

2 archai

80 skeletons

spell portal

vampire lord/necromancer/some other caster?

Just not sure if First Cohort is worth it.  Sure you get the survivability, at the cost of the archai, which will have to stay close by.  You gain a CP, but 160 points left alone would give you 3 CP, or another wizard, and you get an artifact but nobody to put it on, so seems a waste of points.

I run Nagash, necro and guardian of souls. 3 wizards and 2 of them cheap.

Take a spellportal cast it with one of your other wizards then have Nagash boop / send another spell through it.

you can also use the palisade spell which blocks line of sight but as Nagash can fly he can still hop over it and ruin people’s day

My last idea which was decent versus a bloodletter bomb list (which is terribly boring to play against). 

Nagash, necro, balewind and as much summonable units as I could muster. 120 skellies :) and I think 5 wolves. 

Now with all the summonable toys from the starter box (=grimghast reapers) and endless spells I will definitely try this again. But in what configuration? 

Man is only 1200 points for 3 build lines so little room

I think the First Cohort Batallion's pretty great. First of all, it gives you 1 CP, so it's 110 points tax in theory, but that allows you to "one-drop" most of your army. Nagash only ignores MW, so palming off wounds to Morghast Archais are great. KO can probably shoot nagash off the board ... maybe. Morghast's also a pretty scary unit.

I'd run a necromancer maybe along with Nagash. Umbral spell portal sounds amazing with Hand of Dust but really isn't going to be critical. 

2 hours ago, Takaloy said:

I think the First Cohort Batallion's pretty great. First of all, it gives you 1 CP, so it's 110 points tax in theory, but that allows you to "one-drop" most of your army. Nagash only ignores MW, so palming off wounds to Morghast Archais are great. KO can probably shoot nagash off the board ... maybe. Morghast's also a pretty scary unit.

I'd run a necromancer maybe along with Nagash. Umbral spell portal sounds amazing with Hand of Dust but really isn't going to be critical. 

Speaking from xp, KO can easily 1 turn Nagash. Although I hear tell their clown car's had a nerf... 

I really liked Nagash in a Cohort of 4 morghast with 40/10/10 skellis and a necromancer...

but of course, you have 1.5k in your wreckingball, really have to put them to use and claim objectives...

He really presents an awesome target for your opponent, but has the backbone to see things through. Take soul stealer, vile transference and don’t take the double except when it’s going to be the last nail in the coffin. 

I guess against heavy shooting without the cohort it’s suicide, else he could be brought instead of arkhan and a vlozd...

Archived