Wound characteristic of * and balewind in Cover

Vextol

Question

Dual thread.

1. What is the wound characteristic of a model with a * as their wounds characteristic?  The question comes up when considering wound based attacks (stardrake eating stuff, slaying models that have x wounds left, etc.).  Also, for kroak, would he take 3d6 mortals from an unwound stardrake trying to eat him?!  ?

2. Can a wizard on a balewind be in cover? It's one model once it's up there so if it's within an inch of a wall is it in cover?  ? 

8 answers to this question

1. There simply needs to be an FAQ. The * is not a variable that's referring to a number, it's actually just an asterisk referencing a rules paragraph, and so the question "How many wounds is an asterisk?" is like looking at a giraffe and asking "What kind of apple is this?"

2. Yes, it's one model that isn't a monster or war machine and doesn't have a wounds characteristic of 8 or more. Keep in mind the whole model needs to be wholly within/on the terrain, and not just within 1".

5 hours ago, heywoah_twitch said:

1. There simply needs to be an FAQ. The * is not a variable that's referring to a number, it's actually just an asterisk referencing a rules paragraph, and so the question "How many wounds is an asterisk?" is like looking at a giraffe and asking "What kind of apple is this?"

2. Yes, it's one model that isn't a monster or war machine and doesn't have a wounds characteristic of 8 or more. Keep in mind the whole model needs to be wholly within/on the terrain, and not just within 1".

1. I didn't know if there was a reference somewhere.  Gryph hounds have a dash, that was defined so... I didn't know if there was a rule I was overlooking like "if a Stat has an *, abilities thag target it don't work".  I think I've seen something like that somewhere. 

2. Good point! I didn't realize cover was wholly within. So walls and buildings and things can't offer cover to a LOT of models purely due to base size.  Good to know. 

3 hours ago, Vextol said:

2. Good point! I didn't realize cover was wholly within. So walls and buildings and things can't offer cover to a LOT of models purely due to base size.  Good to know. 

Actualls there is a difference. If a Terrainpiece is considered to be an "obstacle" (Terrain rules, Page 10 in the PDF) the unit gets cover if all models are within 1" and the Terrainpiece is closer to the enemy unit.

42 minutes ago, EMMachine said:

Actualls there is a difference. If a Terrainpiece is considered to be an "obstacle" (Terrain rules, Page 10 in the PDF) the unit gets cover if all models are within 1" and the Terrainpiece is closer to the enemy unit.

Excellent! In that case, walls WOULD offer cover to my kroak on a balewind.  Hello +2 to my save!  Kroak got nuts in this new edition ?

I would recommend to apply some basic sense. How would a guy on a 6" (or so) Vortex be able to hide behind a 2" wall? Answer should be "in no way", so no +1 save for cover behind a wall.

While set up in a Wyldwood is another case. Have not seen that case on the tabletop.

4 hours ago, Drib said:

I would recommend to apply some basic sense. How would a guy on a 6" (or so) Vortex be able to hide behind a 2" wall? Answer should be "in no way", so no +1 save for cover behind a wall.

While set up in a Wyldwood is another case. Have not seen that case on the tabletop.

Depends on the circumstance.  Basic sense in matched play? Absolutely it works.  Basic sense in a narrative sense? Maybe not. 

Lots of the models are depictions.  Walls are just markers.  Maybe they're crazy tall!  Most walls I've seen come up to the shins on SCE models but they still offer cover. 

Maybe the balewind picks up bits of bricks and swirls them around the wizard.  Maybe the balewind is big, ugly and clunky and just unfortunately modeled.  Either way, I think it's a legal maneuver. 

The branchwraith in a wyldwood on a balewind with dryads is awesome. That's a seriously tough model. 

I do really want to know if stardrakes can hobble over and swallow kroak on the balewind though.  One big gulp and he takes 3d6 mortal wounds. 

On 7/4/2018 at 9:04 AM, Vextol said:

Depends on the circumstance.  Basic sense in matched play? Absolutely it works.  Basic sense in a narrative sense? Maybe not. 

Lots of the models are depictions.  Walls are just markers.  Maybe they're crazy tall!  Most walls I've seen come up to the shins on SCE models but they still offer cover. 

Maybe the balewind picks up bits of bricks and swirls them around the wizard.  Maybe the balewind is big, ugly and clunky and just unfortunately modeled.  Either way, I think it's a legal maneuver. 

The branchwraith in a wyldwood on a balewind with dryads is awesome. That's a seriously tough model. 

I do really want to know if stardrakes can hobble over and swallow kroak on the balewind though.  One big gulp and he takes 3d6 mortal wounds. 

The dude on the vortex can be targeted with melee attacks. It states in the description that the model on the vortex and the vortex are treated as being a single model. (Sounds kind of like an immobile mount)

Archived