Let's Chat Sylvaneth

scrubyandwells

I think Dryads and Tree Kin have different roles really. Dryads are faster, put out more accurate attacks and can be brutal in hordes or when buffed. Tree Kin have a natural 4+ save so 3+ with arcane shield and can be healed to keep the unit at full strength and full fighting potential.  That makes them natural blockers and tarpits.  In some of the battalions they even gained a full model back each turn.  Dryads on the other hand die in droves and once dead they aren't being healed.  Put another way if you lose 3 Dryads that's 3 dead models that will only come back with a specific battalion. If you lose 3 wounds on Tree Kin then they could be back to full strength again next turn.  I know in many cases they will just end up taking more than 3 wounds but say they lose 7 wounds. For Dryads that's the small unit pretty much combat ineffective now it's down to 3 models with 1 wound apiece.  If the Tree Kin get healed up then you still have 2 full Tree Kin models that have to be attacked again.

Bravery can be a problem I agree and here are limited ways of boosting them slightly with the Spirit of Durthu and some of the other Sylvaneth abilities.  I wouldn't go out of my way to put something in purely to boost the Kin, but if I have the Spirit anyway then for 200 points 6 Tree Kin is a steal.

*Edit*

Just noticed that Tree Kin can reroll hits of 1 if within 18"" of a hero. That makes them even better.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My latest list looks like this for 2k points:

Durthu 400
- General  
- Command trait: Gnarled Warrior  
- Artefact: Briartsheath  
Treelord Ancient 300
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri  
- Spells: Regrowth+Treesong  
Branchwych 100
- Artefact: Silverwood Circlet  
- Spells: The Reaping+Throne of Wines  
Lore Master 100
 -Spells: Hand of Glory  
Dryadsx20 240
Dryadsx10 120
Tree revenants 100
Kurnoth Hunters  180
Kurnoth Hunters  180
Kurnoth Hunters  180
House Hold 20
Gnarlroot 80
Total 2000

Hand of Glory on Durthy, the Kurnoth Hunters would have bows for standard or scythes when meeting lots of infantry. The Wych would wind up her spells turn 1 and then continue to pump out both her own spell and the reaping. The Ancient will provide the basic healing with either the Gnarlroot spell or Regrowth. Now when choosing the Artefact for Durthu...since I will not use him (mainly) for soaking wounds I went for -1 to hit instead of +1 to save. 

What say you?

Hey guys, I'm new around here, but I've enjoyed the conversation. I just picked up AOS and bought some Sylvaneth; i've only played one game so far.

I have a question. Is the Durthu Warscroll (versus Spirit of Durthu) available for use in a Sylvaneht army. It seems like it would be, and his command ability to summon wyldwoods seems pretty great. I'm feeling like I'm missing something since I haven't seen anything about it yet...

EDIT: JK, the guy above me has it in his list. But the question still stands.

6 hours ago, CryogenicMan said:

Hey guys, I'm new around here, but I've enjoyed the conversation. I just picked up AOS and bought some Sylvaneth; i've only played one game so far.

I have a question. Is the Durthu Warscroll (versus Spirit of Durthu) available for use in a Sylvaneht army. It seems like it would be, and his command ability to summon wyldwoods seems pretty great. I'm feeling like I'm missing something since I haven't seen anything about it yet...

Probably any Durthu's you've seen around are just shorthand for Spirit of Durthu these days. You could play him as the original Durthu using the compendium rules, but as far as I saw they weren't given any points in the Handbook. Were wood elves pointed up in the back section?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-wood-elves-en.pdf

10 minutes ago, MidasKiss said:

Probably any Durthu's you've seen around are just shorthand for Spirit of Durthu these days. You could play him as the original Durthu using the compendium rules, but as far as I saw they weren't given any points in the Handbook. Were wood elves pointed up in the back section?

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Compendiums/warhammer-aos-wood-elves-en.pdf

6 hours ago, CryogenicMan said:

Hi @CryogenicMan, welcome aboard! Thanks for posting. In terms of the original compendium Durthu, he was not given a points value in the General's Handbook section for the Wood Elves Compendium. This was probably deliberate on GW's part, and means that only the Spirit of Durthu warscroll can be used in Matched Play with points. If you wanted to use the original Durthu in Open Play or Narrative Play, though, as long as your fellow player(s) agree, I'm sure it'd be cool. 

8 hours ago, Pompe said:

My latest list looks like this for 2k points:

Durthu 400
- General  
- Command trait: Gnarled Warrior  
- Artefact: Briartsheath  
Treelord Ancient 300
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri  
- Spells: Regrowth+Treesong  
Branchwych 100
- Artefact: Silverwood Circlet  
- Spells: The Reaping+Throne of Wines  
Lore Master 100
 -Spells: Hand of Glory  
Dryadsx20 240
Dryadsx10 120
Tree revenants 100
Kurnoth Hunters  180
Kurnoth Hunters  180
Kurnoth Hunters  180
House Hold 20
Gnarlroot 80
Total 2000

Hand of Glory on Durthy, the Kurnoth Hunters would have bows for standard or scythes when meeting lots of infantry. The Wych would wind up her spells turn 1 and then continue to pump out both her own spell and the reaping. The Ancient will provide the basic healing with either the Gnarlroot spell or Regrowth. Now when choosing the Artefact for Durthu...since I will not use him (mainly) for soaking wounds I went for -1 to hit instead of +1 to save. 

What say you?

Yeah your list looks good, apart from what @Nico pointed out (re: you don't get to take 2 spells per wizard, but Treelord Ancients, Branchwyches, and Branchwraiths can cast up to two spells per your hero phase, if you're running Gnarlroot Wargrove). Personally I'd probably try one unit of Kurnoth with greatbows, one with scythes, and one with greatswords, at least if I were building for general-purpose competitive play, but if you know you're not going to be facing high-armor-save and/or ignore-minus-one-rend units, then the greatswords will do more on average, but in my experience there's a lot of instances where the scythes are valuable given their 2" reach and -2 to rend. Would love to hear how your games go! 

Alright Sylvaneth brains trust, lend me your strength. I wasn't going to clog up the thread with my begginer's thoughts, but it's been a bit quiet here so I thought it might be ok ;)

I've got a little 1000 points one day tournament happening at the local store, nothing big but it would be nice to get some experience as I've never done anything like it before. We're going to be playing Blood and Glory, Escalation, and Gifts from the Heavens. Going to be played on a 4 x 4 board! I read through these in the handbook and I'm actually pretty excited. It's pretty loosely organised, I'm hoping to get some clarification on some of the things that have been house rules in other comps such as Wyldwood limitations and etc. No idea if there is any side board or list flexibility, so I'm assuming not for now. It's a bit of a shame, because I know there's going to be some filth lists so I feel like I'm going to have to go quite competitive as well, wouldn't mind the option to play something a bit more fun relaxed if someone's got a more for fun list. I'll try remember to ask the guys on Thursday gaming night what the deal will be.

1000 points is pretty limiting, I'm feeling like I probably wont go for any battalions unless something fits real well. I've been mulling over a few lists. At the moment I've painted the Treelord Ancient, Branchwych and the 16 dryads in the start collecting box, and am slowly painting some Tree Revenants which finally came back in stock here in Australia. I'd already ordered 2 x Kurnoth hunters, Drycha and a tree revenant/spite revenant from a store in America weeks ago, but the Sylvaneth stock has been so low that I'm dubious if they will get the order any time soon which is pretty disappointing.

In terms of lists, I've thought of a few options. It's actually quite fun working at 1000 points because it's so restricting it doesn't take long. All three scenarios don't require characters or battle line so I haven't gone heavy with either. It will be interesting how each scenario (escalation particularly!) will interact with each list.

1: Ancient list (1000)

• Treelord Ancient
  • Branchwych
  • 10 Dryads
  • 10 Dryads
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters

2: Drycha list (1000)

• Drycha
  • Branchwych
  • 20 Dryads
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 5 Spite Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters

3: Kurnoth List (980)

• Branchwych
  • 20 Dryads
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters

4: Durthu List (1000)

• Spirit of Durthu
  • Branchwych
  • 10 Dryads
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 5 Tree Revenants
  • 3 Kurnoth Hunters 

In terms of opponents, I know there will be a Seraphon list (Ripperdactlys again), a Slanesh army which I'm excited to see (from the Beastclaw player), a pretty fun Skaven army, and probably some Stormcast. Not sure what else.

ny thoughts in terms of lists, or advice on deployment or tactics for these scenarios? Thanks everyone

Durthu is a lot of points and a combat beast at the 1000 points level.  However if you go with his list you might consider swapping the Branchwych for a Branchwraith.  She's less of a combat monster but if the plan is to choose regrowth as her spell (which you probably should), then having the extra protection from shooting if near a wood can be pretty handy.

What weapons would you take on the Hunters?

13 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

In terms of opponents, I know there will be a Seraphon list (Ripperdactlys again), a Slanesh army which I'm excited to see (from the Beastclaw player), a pretty fun Skaven army, and probably some Stormcast. Not sure what else.

Any thoughts in terms of lists, or advice on deployment or tactics for these scenarios? Thanks everyone

Hey @MidasKiss, my faves are #1 (Ancient list) and #3 (Kurnoth list). Blood and Glory, Escalation, and Gifts from the Heavens are #-of-units and model-count oriented (all else equal), so my preference would be the Kurnoth list, but only slightly. I'd probably equip them with x2 scythes and x1 greatbows, or switch out a scythe for greatswords.

With that said, I've played that exact Ancient list vs Seraphon (albeit without Rippers), and had some success, in particular with a simple approach of the TAncient + Dryads + Branchwych holding the center, flanked by the Kurnoth on each side. In my mind, though, the Ancient list represents ~3 distinct groups, whereas the Kurnoth list represents 5 distinct groups: 3x Kurnoth, 20 Dryads + Branchwych, and 1x T-Revenants. Given that, the Kurnoth list could give you more flexibility in the 3 scenarios, especially by keeping the T-Revenants alive and using their mobility to help you contest/capture an objective late game.

In my limited experience with 1K games, maximizing Kurnoth is a strong bet, because of their utility, resilience, and damage output. It's difficult to get high-damage output models in a 1K Sylvaneth list, and all else equal, I'd rather take 1x Kurnoth and 1x Dryads (for a total of 25 wounds, which on avg is more because of the Kurnoth's re-roll-saves ability) vs 1x TAncient.

In 1K games, I've also had more success playing conservatively + playing to win in 5 rounds rather than pushing for an early win. I suspect the Ancient list or Kurnoth list could compete well against Seraphon, Slaanesh, Stormcast, and Skaven (unless the latter is going heavy filth...and wow look at all the factions starting with "S"), but it may be difficult to achieve major victories at 1K.

Again in my limited experience at this level, Sylvaneth can often win out in the long run through objective scoring and/or kill points, as long as you're not getting too far behind early in objective scoring.

Whether taking the Ancient list or Kurnoth list, or another, generating + using Wyldwoods seem significant for all of them, especially for getting your cover saves.

10 hours ago, SentinelGuy said:

Durthu is a lot of points and a combat beast at the 1000 points level.  However if you go with his list you might consider swapping the Branchwych for a Branchwraith.  She's less of a combat monster but if the plan is to choose regrowth as her spell (which you probably should), then having the extra protection from shooting if near a wood can be pretty handy.

What weapons would you take on the Hunters?

Probably as @scrubyandwells said below, a mix of scythes and bows. I'm not sure what I would take with just one unit, probably scythes with just one unit, though I really like the bows and it would be nice to sit on an objective and still be able to do some damage. Also, it seems like the meta these days is to force your opponent to go first turn so if I have to go first it would be nice to have some ranged threat to at least do something.

3 hours ago, scrubyandwells said:

Hey @MidasKiss, my faves are #1 (Ancient list) and #3 (Kurnoth list). Blood and Glory, Escalation, and Gifts from the Heavens are #-of-units and model-count oriented (all else equal), so my preference would be the Kurnoth list, but only slightly. I'd probably equip them with x2 scythes and x1 greatbows, or switch out a scythe for greatswords.

With that said, I've played that exact Ancient list vs Seraphon (albeit without Rippers), and had some success, in particular with a simple approach of the TAncient + Dryads + Branchwych holding the center, flanked by the Kurnoth on each side. In my mind, though, the Ancient list represents ~3 distinct groups, whereas the Kurnoth list represents 5 distinct groups: 3x Kurnoth, 20 Dryads + Branchwych, and 1x T-Revenants. Given that, the Kurnoth list could give you more flexibility in the 3 scenarios, especially by keeping the T-Revenants alive and using their mobility to help you contest/capture an objective late game.

In my limited experience with 1K games, maximizing Kurnoth is a strong bet, because of their utility, resilience, and damage output. It's difficult to get high-damage output models in a 1K Sylvaneth list, and all else equal, I'd rather take 1x Kurnoth and 1x Dryads (for a total of 25 wounds, which on avg is more because of the Kurnoth's re-roll-saves ability) vs 1x TAncient.

In 1K games, I've also had more success playing conservatively + playing to win in 5 rounds rather than pushing for an early win. I suspect the Ancient list or Kurnoth list could compete well against Seraphon, Slaanesh, Stormcast, and Skaven (unless the latter is going heavy filth...and wow look at all the factions starting with "S"), but it may be difficult to achieve major victories at 1K.

Again in my limited experience at this level, Sylvaneth can often win out in the long run through objective scoring and/or kill points, as long as you're not getting too far behind early in objective scoring.

Whether taking the Ancient list or Kurnoth list, or another, generating + using Wyldwoods seem significant for all of them, especially for getting your cover saves.

Thanks for the reply, very interesting.

I had thought that the Kurnoth list would be the best, I guess it's almost without saying that they are the best punch for the points in the army. Getting more models and more wounds than an ancient for just 180 points it's hard to look past. It's interesting that the ancient list can be that good, I had essentially put that one in because I already have the ancient bought, built and painted and thought I should use it, although I do like him as well. I agree that as soon as i have to start splitting up the units to go after objectives it seems problematic for most lists at this level, and the Kurnoths seem most capable of splitting off by themselves. If there was two objectives and I could leave 3-6 Kurnoth hunters with bows there and send the rest of to attack their objective I'd not feel so bad about it (and the Tree Revenants can always teleport back as support). 

I think you are right with the playstyle. I was listening back on the Bristol Smash episode of Garagehammer and @Russ Veal essentially said that the beginners mistake when forced to go first is to try and move into the middle of the board to do something and then complain when they get half their army destroyed. I can definitely remember games I've played where that was the mistake I had made, and not knowing all the ranges yet I think I always underestimate just how much my opponent will be able to get in my face on turn one. When Russ said that sometimes you just have to sit in deployment and buff yourself it made me realise that thinking you have to do something is not the best way to play.

I think what will decide my list is simply whether I can actually get any Kurnoth Hunters to Australia by the end of the month. It's been ridiculous here and I'm trying to order from overseas to not pay the Australia tax on everything. Most people can't send to Australia though, and the ones who can haven't had much stock. Worst case I can just buy another starter box and run some stupid Ancient and Durthu list just for fun. 

Do you know with these scenarios, can I still put a Wyldwood down in each game before deployment?

37 minutes ago, MidasKiss said:

I think what will decide my list is simply whether I can actually get any Kurnoth Hunters to Australia by the end of the month. It's been ridiculous here and I'm trying to order from overseas to not pay the Australia tax on everything. Most people can't send to Australia though, and the ones who can haven't had much stock. Worst case I can just buy another starter box and run some stupid Ancient and Durthu list just for fun. 

Do you know with these scenarios, can I still put a Wyldwood down in each game before deployment?

Hey mate, sounds good. And yeah, as long as you're Sylvaneth Allegiance per usual, you can drop the free Wyldwood before deployment in all of the GH's Pitched Battles. 

8 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

Also, it seems like the meta these days is to force your opponent to go first turn so if I have to go first it would be nice to have some ranged threat to at least do something.

I think you are right with the playstyle. I was listening back on the Bristol Smash episode of Garagehammer and @Russ Veal essentially said that the beginners mistake when forced to go first is to try and move into the middle of the board to do something and then complain when they get half their army destroyed. I can definitely remember games I've played where that was the mistake I had made, and not knowing all the ranges yet I think I always underestimate just how much my opponent will be able to get in my face on turn one. When Russ said that sometimes you just have to sit in deployment and buff yourself it made me realise that thinking you have to do something is not the best way to play.

Some interesting points there. 

I always try to go for first turn if I can, purely to get out the wyldwoods and get mystic shield and any other buffs out before being attacked. 

I did learn very quickly not to be too aggressive or you will lose a lot of your force early doors.

Having said that, when played correctly, I have found sylvaneth to be one of the most resilient armies and having played a lot with Alarielle, a lot of the time most if not all of the damage suffered can be removed come your next turn. 

I also would suggest either the Treelord Ancient or Kurnoth lists, leaning slightly towards Kurnoth as (as has been stated) more troops on the table in smaller games is a must. 

I think I'd go with scythes at that points level, as they will decimate basically anything in those size games, as well as being able to take a hit. They are easily capable of holding an objective on their own.

Aaron 

2 hours ago, Forestreveries said:

Some interesting points there. 

I always try to go for first turn if I can, purely to get out the wyldwoods and get mystic shield and any other buffs out before being attacked. 

I I did learn very quickly not to be too aggressive or you will lose a lot early doors.

Having said that, when played correctly, I have found sylvaneth to be one of the most resilient armies and having played a lot with Alarielle, a lot of the time most if not all of the damage suffered can be removed come your second turn. 

I also would suggest either the Treelord Ancient or Kurnoth lists, leaning slightly towards Kurnoth as (as has been stated) more troops on the table in smaller games is a must. 

I think I'd go with scythes at that points level, as they will decimate basically anything in those size games, as well as being able to take a hit. They are easily capable of holding an objective on their own.

Aaron 

Thanks Aaron, I was hoping you would chime in. If I go for the Kurnoth list, I think one will be Great bows just because I want to have variety on the hobby side of things. 2 x scythes sounds good though. Having read your conquests I definitely see the benefit to a Alarielle + multi wound model list - you should test an Alarielle, 3 Kurnoth hunters and 2 x 5 tree revenants 1000 point list for me ;)

With just the one Branchwych in the Kurnoth list, the traits/artefacts and spell choice isn't so obvious to me. A lot of options seem quite strong, the Acorn seemed quite strong in your games Aaron but would you take it as your only item? I'm considering Ranu's Lamenteri to just make those 

Any general tactical advice on the scenarios? 

1. Blood and Glory
  2. Escalation
  3. Gifts From the Heavens

I'm dubious about getting a major victory in Blood and Glory - trying to hold 4 objectives with whatever is left of the 6 units. I guess it's just more units than an enemy, so a lone dryad or tree revenant could run for one if it had a shot in the last turns. I imagine a minor victory is going to be the realistic target though. I'm guessing the standard tactic in general would be to put the woods down on an objective and summon a wood in the deployment? I'm a little worried about Escalation, with just Dryads and tree revenants appearing on turn one.

6 hours ago, MidasKiss said:

Thanks Aaron, I was hoping you would chime in. If I go for the Kurnoth list, I think one will be Great bows just because I want to have variety on the hobby side of things. 2 x scythes sounds good though. Having read your conquests I definitely see the benefit to a Alarielle + multi wound model list - you should test an Alarielle, 3 Kurnoth hunters and 2 x 5 tree revenants 1000 point list for me ;)

With just the one Branchwych in the Kurnoth list, the traits/artefacts and spell choice isn't so obvious to me. A lot of options seem quite strong, the Acorn seemed quite strong in your games Aaron but would you take it as your only item? I'm considering Ranu's Lamenteri to just make those 

Any general tactical advice on the scenarios? 

1. Blood and Glory
  2. Escalation
  3. Gifts From the Heavens

I'm dubious about getting a major victory in Blood and Glory - trying to hold 4 objectives with whatever is left of the 6 units. I guess it's just more units than an enemy, so a lone dryad or tree revenant could run for one if it had a shot in the last turns. I imagine a minor victory is going to be the realistic target though. I'm guessing the standard tactic in general would be to put the woods down on an objective and summon a wood in the deployment? I'm a little worried about Escalation, with just Dryads and tree revenants appearing on turn one.

Sorry to not quote each question individually, am working from my phone here and it's too much effort to format properly aha

Greatbows would be a good shout actually, as I suspect people will be taking less resilient heroes in smaller points and a lot of armies really suffer from having those key models picked off (flesheaters and Khorne Bloodbound spring to mind). Also as you say, you can sit on objectives and still have a good impact on the game. 

Maid be happy to play that 1k Alarielle list tbh, it looks like fun! Could possibly squeeze in a game with my housemate on Friday afternoon and try it out.

I haven't actually used the Acorn much myself, preferring to default to Briarsheath, but without any Treelords and with less points on the table my first thought was to reach for the acorn too. 

When it comes to escalation, Perhaps if you split up the Dryads into two units of 10 (they will still be resilient enough at those points levels) you could swap out the Revenants for a Branchwraith, and have the dryads just hold out for a turn, ideally by your free wyldwood (if you get the choice of table side). Then bring on the bow hunters and Branchwraith, giving her acorn and verdant blessing,  for two woods between you and the enemy. Finally the 2 scythe hunter units which can come on straight away and teleport to where you need them.

Tree Revenants could be useful if your opponent has weak battleline units that they can handle (10 clanrats for example), as you could potentially jump to their table edge and charge them straight off the bat... but you won't necessarily know either way until it's too late. 

In Blood and Glory and Escalation I would leave some/most of my units in the Hidden Enclaves until you have wyldwoods near the objectives and then apply the appropriate unit to the required destination, again with acorn and verdant blessing, you shouldn't miss the Treelord ancient too much. 

Aaron

So is anyone using any of the groves apart from the Gnarlroot one? There's no doubt that Gnarl is the way to go if you want a lot of magic, but how about quality over quantity? Harvestboon gives you a straight up +1 to cast and another magic item which boosts range and hands out an extra spell.

I came up with this for Havestboon but think it's a tad underpowered at 2000 points. Swapping the Tree Kin out for another unit of Hunters might be an idea but I only have 1 box at the moment. I'm undecided on bows vs scythes. The ranged weapons are nice, but those scythes are brutal. Suggestions?

Harvestboon Wargrove.

Forest Folk.

1 Spirit of Durthu - gnarled warrior and briarsheath.

1 Branchwraith - tear of grace, regrowth, dwellers below (extra spell from the tear), regrowth (from Tree Kin).

1 Branchwraith - silverwood circlet, the reaping, regrowth (from Tree Kin).

1 Drycha Hamadreth - verdant blessing, regrowth (from Tree Kin).

5 Tree Revenants.

20 Dryads. 

10 Dryads. 

10 Dryads. 

3 Kurnoth Hunters - bows or scythes.

6 Tree Kin (or another 3 Kurnoth Hunters)

*EDIT*

I think this is better - 

Harvestboon Wargrove.

Forest Folk.

1 Spirit of Durthu - Briarsheath.

1 Branchwraith - Dwellers Below.

1 Branchwraith - Silverwood Circlet, The Reaping.

1 Treelord Ancient (general) - Gnarled Warrior, Regrowth, Ranu's Lamentiri.

5 Tree Revenants.

20 Dryads. 

10 Dryads. 

10 Dryads. 

3 Kurnoth Hunters - bows.

3 Kurnoth Hunters - scythes. 

Gnarl is surprisingly cheap and gives you the Order Wizard option. I'm surprised no-one has gone for a Kroak list. 

Harvestboon as per your list above gives you a very efficient single drop army - no wasted points on a minimum size 4th unit of Dryads etc..

Here's my list:

Harvestboon Wargrove

Forest Folk

1 Branchwraith (The Reaping) (The Silverwood Circlet)

1 Branchwraith (The Dwellers Below) (Acorn of the Ages)

20 Dryads

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

1 Treelord Ancient (General) (Regrowth and Verdurous Harmony) (Briarsheath)

1 Treelord Ancient (Verdant Blessing)

6 Kurnoth Hunters (Scythes)

3 Kurnoth Hunters (Bows)

Total

Winterleaf is decent as it gives your Dryads exploding attacks on a 5+ (against one unit in your turns) and an Order unit of your choice.

Here's an option with the Sisters of the Thorn, who do look expensive.

Winterleaf Wargrove

Forest Folk

1 Branchwraith (The Reaping) (The Silverwood Circlet)

1 Treelord Ancient (General) (Gnarled Warrior) (The Oaken Armour) (Regrowth)

1 Treelord Ancient (The Oaken Armour) (Verdant Blessing)

10 Dryads

10 Dryads

20 Dryads

20 Dryads

5 Sisters of the Thorn (Regrowth)

3 Kurnoth Hunters (Bows)

I would love to make a list using the Dreadwood Wargrove, but I just cannot see it working. At best you can go for the double turn, get your Spite Revenants close to them and fire off the aoe mortal wounds using the formation. However, the move a unit ambush rule seems pointless unless you design a strategy revolving around taking the first turn, e.g. smashing into them with a full strength Durthu/Alarielle or 6 Scythe Hunters. Plus, you are then facing down a double turn.

The Ironbark formation could be good with a Runesmiter and a pack of ward saved Berserkers -  gives you another deep strike option.

Overall I'm struggling to see how the army can win in tournaments given the serious lack of combat buffs, other than by spamming spells near a Wyldwood, knocking out models using the deadly terrain aspect of Wyldwoods etc. and holding objectives with Dryad spam while in Wyldwoods - that's really their unique feature, so I think you would need to go long on it, by plastering the objectives with Wyldwoods. 

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Overall I'm struggling to see how the army can win in tournaments given the serious lack of combat buffs, other than by spamming spells near a Wyldwood, knocking out models using the deadly terrain aspect of Wyldwoods etc. and holding objectives with Dryad spam while in Wyldwoods - that's really their unique feature, so I think you would need to go long on it, by plastering the objectives with Wyldwoods. 

Really? That surprises me.

I've seen the Wyldwoods thing brought up a few times now and I just don't see it being viable. I see them as teleport beacons and just consider the deadly and roused by magic clauses as bonus if they go off.  :/ 

I certainly don't see it as one of our only options!

Sylvaneth are one of the most maneuvreable armies out there, can be incredibly resilient, and between Kurnth Hunters and Spirits of Durthu kick out extraordinary damage. 

Kurnoth Hunters are fantastic, and amazing value at their price point. 

The biggest thing I struggle with is that the majority of sylvaneth hit on 4+ and there is no in-faction way to boost that. Another reason why Gnarlroot is so popular is that it allows access to those Order Wizards which can fix that (notably Loremaster and Hurricanum). 

I actually feel like we are strong contenders in every phase.

Aaron

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Hi buddy,

Where does it say this? I've not managed to find it :(

jimbo

It's in the General's Handbook FAQ. The wizard counts as Sylvaneth for the purposes of working out battleline units and allegiance abilities. However they won't benefit from rules that affect Sylvaneth units as they don't have the keyword.

This also applies to order units in Winterleaf Wargrove and Duardin in Ironbark Wargrove.

1 minute ago, SentinelGuy said:

It's in the General's Handbook FAQ. The wizard counts as Sylvaneth for the purposes of working out battleline units and allegiance abilities. However they won't benefit from rules that affect Sylvaneth units as they don't have the keyword.

This also applies to order units in Winterleaf Wargrove and Duardin in Ironbark Wargrove.

I'll stop looking though the sylvaneth battletome then! ;)

Archived