AoS 2 - Grand Host of Nagash Discussion

RuneBrush

1 minute ago, MrRoff said:

Hmm, i can swear that it was avaible for order just in october/november last i checked.
I even think that one of my mates bought it not long ago.

Are there comming other Battleforces for 2019 then? For death i mean.

That's a long time from now so no one knows. If people keep complaining about how Death is too good then they might nerf them to the ground this year, which means they'll probably make a new boxset for them to balance the hate! Ho! Ho! Ho!

Jokes aside, you may get lucky and find an old box sitting around in a hobby store somewhere, but unless they happen to put it in store to get rid of some extra stock. Who knows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

That's a long time from now so no one knows. If people keep complaining about how Death is too good then they might nerf them to the ground this year, which means they'll probably make a new boxset for them to balance the hate! Ho! Ho! Ho!

Jokes aside, you may get lucky and find an old box sitting around in a hobby store somewhere, but unless they happen to put it in store to get rid of some extra stock. Who knows.

Don't scare me with the nerf talk! I've just started playing death and i've heard how "bad" they were in aos 1.0 before Legion of Nagash, i don't want to go back 💔
On the other hand, yes currently death is really strong, isn't death top tier in recent tournaments?

1 minute ago, MrRoff said:

Don't scare me with the nerf talk! I've just started playing death and i've heard how "bad" they were in aos 1.0 before Legion of Nagash, i don't want to go back 💔
On the other hand, yes currently death is really strong, isn't death top tier in recent tournaments?

Of course no one remembers how bad an army is before they get their battletome, they are strong now so the past is invalid! *huff and puff*

To prevent going down the rabbit hole, I'll just say they are very well presented in the tournament scene and if not accounted for in other armies they can take a lot of wins, but they are by far not the only army that is playing really strong right now. Some might say a couple of armies in particular are stronger than even Death.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CaptainSoup said:

Of course no one remembers how bad an army is before they get their battletome, they are strong now so the past is invalid! *huff and puff*

To prevent going down the rabbit hole, I'll just say they are very well presented in the tournament scene and if not accounted for in other armies they can take a lot of wins, but they are by far not the only army that is playing really strong right now. Some might say a couple of armies in particular are stronger than even Death.

Oh?
What armies are you talking about?

I hope not, that they’ll stupidly wave the nerfbaton around just because people are hurting on unfunny places...

We were imba before ghb, then more or less out of competitive gaming and now we’re back at the top tables, because we have strong mechanics and options too.

People who used to stomp us suddenly need to get good and whine about it. 

18 minutes ago, Honk said:

I hope not, that they’ll stupidly wave the nerfbaton around just because people are hurting on unfunny places...

We were imba before ghb, then more or less out of competitive gaming and now we’re back at the top tables, because we have strong mechanics and options too.

People who used to stomp us suddenly need to get good and whine about it. 

With this new edition and the way new battlestomes are designed now (a design that was started with the LoN book), newer armies will continue to give Death a run for their money. I wouldn't call this power creep though and more like GW is learning how to push out better and better battletomes, which is all the more reason why they should go back and fix the older tomes.

One thing I do sort of worry about is if Death continues to outperform the majority of other armies out there because people haven't figured out how to handle Death in its current state, then GW might give us the nerf bat regardless. I hope I'm wrong. 

Edited by CaptainSoup

31 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

because people haven't figured out how to handle Death in its current state

And I thought ianob covered it all in his „how to grind bonedust“ podcast. 

As usual, gotta play the hand you  are given...

Hello guys! I was thinking about taking up AoS again, and maybe with Legions of Nagash (being Death the only faction i haven't even tried to play in the past).

What are the most played lists?

Some of the guys in my group spoke about 3 "popular lists themes":

-nagash+arkhan

-arkhan+dragon

-neferata+dragons

Any insights about the army? I'm going for a competitive(-ish) approach.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Asore23 said:

Hello guys! I was thinking about taking up AoS again, and maybe with Legions of Nagash (being Death the only faction i haven't even tried to play in the past).

What are the most played lists?

Some of the guys in my group spoke about 3 "popular lists themes":

-nagash+arkhan

-arkhan+dragon

-neferata+dragons

Any insights about the army? I'm going for a competitive(-ish) approach.

Thanks!

This question has been asked a lot in this thread and others. If you do a bit of digging here you can get an idea of what most people run in their armies.

To boil it down really quick though:

Nagash is very strong but costly

Arkhan is good if you don't wanna run Nagash

VLoZD is a large glass cannon wrapped in bubble wrap

Vampire Lord's and necromancers will never fail you

The more skeletons you have in your army the better

Grimghasts are all around good. So good people can't stop complaining about them

Dire wolves are cheap yet effective battleline units

The Honest Wargamer also has lists for most armies you can look into to give you inspiration for your own army list.

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/faction/legions-of-nagash/

Edited by CaptainSoup
  • Like 1

Hi guys. I'm a "beginner" who have fallen into the pit of collecting and painting and collecting and painting and.... and I rarely got to play the actual game. That is about to change!  I have an upcoming 2000 points local tournament. I have the following collection:

Arkhan the Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320) - and other options magnetized
Necromancer (110)
Necromancer (110)
Vampire Lord (140)
Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (440)
Wight King with Baleful Tomb Blade (120)
20 x Dire Wolves (240)
40 x Chainrasp Horde (280)
40 x Skeleton Warriors (280) w spears
10 x Black Knights (240)
10 x Grave Guard (160) shields and 1H weps
2 x Morghast w halbards (220)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
5 x Hexwraiths (160)
Mortis Engine (180)

Unpainted: Lord Executioner (80), Guardian of Souls with Nightmare Lantern (140), Knight of Shrouds on Ethereal Steed (140), Spirit Torment (120)
and the daddy himself: Nagash Supreme Lord of the Undead (800) 

What are your recommendations for a list? 
 - I understand keeping 50 points free for a command point is a good idea for running up with a hero and pulling 40 skelleingtons out your a** near a gravesite.

- Can I mix skeletons and chainrasp as battleline in Legions of nagash or legion of sacrament?

- No grimghast block as I expect they will get nerfed before I get to paint and field them, as others before me have stated. 

Thank you

31 minutes ago, Wooba_ said:

Things and stuff

You got yourself a nice collection of death!

To answer your second question yes you can use skeletons and chainwrasp at the same time for battleline just as you would direwolves.

As for list building, I would refer to my previous post I just posted above yours. With that information you should be able to come up with your own list.

• Thanks 1

And just as a fair warning for all newcomers to death:

they are tricky to play and a lot of things have to be considered. In the right hands they can be pretty scary, but if you’re tactical acumen is lacking you’ll be outplayed, outgunned and left in the dust (like it happens to me regularly 🥳)

There are a bunch of exploitable weak points and pitfalls in playing death.

4 hours ago, CaptainSoup said:

This question has been asked a lot in this thread and others. If you do a bit of digging here you can get an idea of what most people run in their armies.

To boil it down really quick though:

Nagash is very strong but costly

Arkhan is good if you don't wanna run Nagash

VLoZD is a large glass cannon wrapped in bubble wrap

Vampire Lord's and necromancers will never fail you

The more skeletons you have in your army the better

Grimghasts are all around good. So good people can't stop complaining about them

Dire wolves are cheap yet effective battleline units

The Honest Wargamer also has lists for most armies you can look into to give you inspiration for your own army list.

https://thehonestwargamer.com/aos-list-rundowns/faction/legions-of-nagash/

Thanks! I'll read the article and dig through the discussion!

42 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Ok so. 

Mortis engine: The reliquary, heal all death units within the 4 dice inches rolled, can it ressurect slain models to the unit? Or only heal wounded. 

Short answer is no it cannot bring back slain models.

It's all in how the ability is worded. It states specifically that it removes wounds allocated from Death units, and does not mention models within the unit that are slain.

Compare that to the GHoN alligance abilities and the heroes that can bring back models and their descriptions and it states that they can bring models back assuming you rolled high enough for their wounds.

Love all the fast answers! 

Thanks guys! 

Another question while I'm here, start collecting boxes are going up in price on the 4th of February. 

Which one should I choose? 

Mainly my team right now is composed of nighthaunts, chainrasps and grims, still got enoughother death to play LoN. 

Currently im looking into buying Skeleton hoard, just because it gives me all the mortarchs that I cab just magnetize to swap rider and a little unit of skelletons, and some more black knights/ hexwraiths. 

On the other hand start collecting malignants gives me hexwraiths, another mortis engine / coven throne / palanquin. And 2 mortis engines in a LoN army dosent sound to bad. 

Got any tips or advice? 

Edited by MrRoff
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Love all the fast answers! 

Thanks guys! 

Another question while I'm here, start collecting boxes are going up in price on the 4th of February. 

Which one should I choose? 

Mainly my team right now is composed of nighthaunts, chainrasps and grims, still got enoughother death to play LoN. 

Currently im looking into buying Skeleton hoard, just because it gives me all the mortarchs that I cab just magnetize to swap rider and a little unit of skelletons, and some more black knights/ hexwraiths. 

On the other hand start collecting malignants gives me hexwraiths, another mortis engine / coven throne / palanquin. And 2 mortis engines in a LoN army dosent sound to bad. 

Got any tips or advice? 

If you can get one of each go ahead, but if you had to choose one then I would pick the skeleton horde. It has a lot more meta defining units in it than the latter, and you definitely need more skeletons.

The other isn't bad as it gives you options as well, they simply just aren't as popular.

5 minutes ago, CaptainSoup said:

If you can get one of each go ahead, but if you had to choose one then I would pick the skeleton horde. It has a lot more meta defining units in it than the latter, and you definitely need more skeletons.

The other isn't bad as it gives you options as well, they simply just aren't as popular.

Chainrasps or skeletons, which one is "better"? 

I prefer rasos just because I can get them really cheap and they tend to live longer. 

3 minutes ago, MrRoff said:

Chainrasps or skeletons, which one is "better"? 

I prefer rasos just because I can get them really cheap and they tend to live longer. 

It's true they technically live longer, but skeletons do a lot more damage with their sheer number of attacks. Under the right conditions, a 40 man horde of bones can take down a bloodthirster in a single turn. Truely a sight to behold.

Start collecting skeleton horde was nice with  skellis, knights / hexwraith and the mortarch kit. Rounded up with the malignant set for the mortis/coven/palanquin kit even more knights/hexwraith and 3hosts.

then the character building nessesseties of building about 100 troops     XD

(had fun games with 60 zombies, good ones with 2x40 skellis, not fielding bedsheets)

Then (as usually) I would start playing to see, what tickles your palate. I like fielding the coven throne, I „always“ have 2x5 wolves as flankers... not much luck with hexwraith or black knights, never tried grave guards, but 20-30 can slice and dice almost anything.

nagash if fun to play, but tricky if you opponent knows how easy he can be brought down.

then don’t forget 2 necromancer about the strongest heroes imo.

morghast are nice ambushers in a legion of night (2terrorgheist are also a nice surprise for your opponent)

blood knights (undeadified elven dragon knights) are strong if they get off their charge, but can get bogged down easily and then lack the punching power. Especially against rend, they are not worth the points.

totally forgot the Vamplord, squishy without dragon, but nice as fast support.

on dragon a pretty strong melee option, but with a huge bullseye on his back. Can rampage through a lot of stuff, with ethereal amulet a 3+ ignoring rend save, one time d6 heal and so on...

that kinda sums it up.

Especially semi-competitive the possibilities are huge and you can field almost anything and get at least a fun game out of it. 

Top tables aren’t my kind of jam, I mess up too often and get tony grippandoed, Sun-tzued or just stomped...