AoS 2 - Ironjawz Discussion

Chris Tomlin

Just have a question - been playing a lot of 8th ed 40k, so picking up Sigmar 2.0 now, and I notice many people here are declaring a mortal realm withe their lists. How does that work? All I could see in the rulebook was both sides select where/which realm the battle is taking place in and that rule applies. Or is there something im missing that lets everyone select a realm to use?

12 minutes ago, Timcz said:

Just have a question - been playing a lot of 8th ed 40k, so picking up Sigmar 2.0 now, and I notice many people here are declaring a mortal realm withe their lists. How does that work? All I could see in the rulebook was both sides select where/which realm the battle is taking place in and that rule applies. Or is there something im missing that lets everyone select a realm to use?

The Malign Sorcery rule book has a large selection of artefacts. 12 for each realm.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Malakree said:

The Malign Sorcery rule book has a large selection of artefacts. 12 for each realm.

Awesome - just found them thanks! 

So the realm section of the main core rulebook - you dont get any advantages from that, thats only if both sides choose to fight in a particular realm?

34 minutes ago, Timcz said:

Awesome - just found them thanks! 

So the realm section of the main core rulebook - you dont get any advantages from that, thats only if both sides choose to fight in a particular realm?

No, those are just realm rules which apply for the battle.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, broche said:

damn, fanatics can no longer block charge... 

zarbag gits suddenly not that great!

On the other hand the fungoid became better and Skragrott isn't terrible with the cauldron. Not to mention the currently ridiculous stack of fungoids you could have to farm for CP's.

Allegiance: Ironjawz

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Orruk Warchanter (80)
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (90)
- Allies

Battleline
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)

Endless Spells
Stupid Arachnocauldron (x)

Total: 1920+x  / 2000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 240 / 400
Wounds: 152

Is it ridiculous, god yes. but throw in an aetherquartz broach and suddenly we are generating such a horrific amount of CP's it's unreal. Plus the fungoids are all wizards, so can hold objectives, it actually puts a good amount of bodies on the field and with the cauldron you have access to the Lore of the Moonclan for one of your fungoids! Totally not ridiculous.

1 hour ago, broche said:

yes fungoid is pretty cool now. It's up to 90? where did you find new point cost?

Troll are also much better. +1 to hit, and +1 attack (assuming they still cost the same)

anyway that mean i have to change my list for Vegas lol

I looked through the points at the open day ;) pretty sure they are 90, my brain says both the fungoid and squigherd went up by 10 points and I remember thinking "Oh that means the fungoid will give us an odd numbered points value if we take it".

8 hours ago, Malakree said:

On the other hand the fungoid became better and Skragrott isn't terrible with the cauldron. Not to mention the currently ridiculous stack of fungoids you could have to farm for CP's.

Is it ridiculous, god yes. but throw in an aetherquartz broach and suddenly we are generating such a horrific amount of CP's it's unreal. Plus the fungoids are all wizards, so can hold objectives, it actually puts a good amount of bodies on the field and with the cauldron you have access to the Lore of the Moonclan for one of your fungoids! Totally not ridiculous.

CP smap very good option, but i think we can replace 2 fungoid with skraggrott. for 30 points we got 28" 6 3+ 3+ -1 1 attack with inflicting 1 mortal wound at end of battle round. You can shoot at 6 units and make 6 additional mortal wounds! With Arachnocauldron he will got 2 cast/2 unbind with +2! Nice buildin spell to disable enemy artefact (on 8+ with Arachnocauldron!) It's very good option. 

With 3 fungoid we will got only 1 shaman to cast 1 moonclan spell and 2 for cast arcane bolt and mystic shield. It's good, but i prefer cast 2 spell from moonclan lore each turn instead of 2 spells in 1 battle round and 1 spell in rest.

1 hour ago, Imperial said:

Btw if we will have GSG in ally we can take arachnarock! 

We don't and probably won't.

One super interesting allies option is the Boingrot Bounders, at 100 points for 5 they have a /model destructive bulk and not terrible attack stats, throw in a Loonboss on Giant Cave Squig and they move pretty quickly as well. I suspect my Weird Cabbage list will be altered to something like

Mortal Realm: Aqshy

Leaders
Megaboss on Maw-Krusha (440)
- General
- Command Trait: Brutish Cunning

- Artefact: Ignax's Scales 
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- Artefact: Thermalrider Cloak 
Orruk Weirdnob Shaman (120)
Loonboss On Great Cave Squig (110)

Battleline
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)

Units
10 x Boingrot Bounders (200)

Battalions
Weirdfist (180)

Endless Spells
Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 310 / 400
Wounds: 143

Could also say stuff the Loonboss and go a full 15 Boingrots for the lulz.

Edited by Malakree
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how to post lists like everyone else does (is there a easy way?)

But I’ve been testing the 1000 points recently with a megaboss, 2 warchanters, 2 brutes and 2 gore gruntas with mixed success. It’s 950 points so get 1 extra CP which helps but kind of feel the need for more bodies on the table. 

Dropping a chanter gets me 130 points spare which I’m tempted to throw in a unit of 20 shootas for fun.

4 hours ago, Timcz said:

I’m not sure how to post lists like everyone else does (is there a easy way?)

But I’ve been testing the 1000 points recently with a megaboss, 2 warchanters, 2 brutes and 2 gore gruntas with mixed success. It’s 950 points so get 1 extra CP which helps but kind of feel the need for more bodies on the table. 

Dropping a chanter gets me 130 points spare which I’m tempted to throw in a unit of 20 shootas for fun.

Warscrollbuilder on the gw website.

After you've done the list there's a ? Button which will bring it up.

You can then select either full of short version of it and there's  copy button.

After that just paste it into the comment.

• Thanks 1

I  have used a similar list @Timcz .    The problem I had was that a buddy has been using the celestar ballista and taking out my Megaboss fairly quickly.  I expect him to be at the tournament with a list that uses ballista.  So I have been trying to build with 2 sources of waagh.  But it just seems meh.  I could switch out the ironskull's boys for a warchanter.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ghur
Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Trait: Ironclad
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Boss Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
3 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (140)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
4 x Ironskull's Boyz (80)

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Allies: 0 / 200
Wounds: 81

I have half a mind to just take Gordrakk and some gruntas and just call it a day.  Would be fun, quick, easy to play.  But probably not competitive.

Spoiler

Gordrakk the Fist of Gork (580)
- General
6 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (280)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas

Total: 1000 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 0
Wounds: 60

Here is another list I was thinking about: Gorefist .  This particular list could use another hero, but I feel it then waters down the gorefist, since the 9 would go to 6. 

Spoiler
Mortal Realm: Shyish
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
- Artefact: Wraithbow
9 x Orruk Gore Gruntas (420)
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
- Pig-iron Choppas
Gorefist (190)

Total: 970 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 1
Wounds: 81

Overall, I am feeling meh at 1000 points. HELP PLEASE.

Edited by Superninja

This is an ardfist list I was looking at.  I think it may be the best of the bunch.  Not sure if the ardboys are enough punch.  I guess with Waaagh, they should be.  Could switch in a megaboss, since there would be 6 Ironjawz units at that point, but I may want to put the warchanter hidden somewhere if possible.  The lack of a wizard in every list is a problem as well.

Spoiler

Mortal Realm: Ulgu
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- General
- Artefact: Miasmatic Blade
Orruk Warchanter (80)
- Artefact: Spellmirror
Orruk Warboss (140)
- Great Waaagh Banner
- Allies
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
10 x Orruk Ardboys (160)
Ardfist (170)

Total: 950 / 1000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 140 / 200
Wounds: 78

Edited by Superninja

@Superninja ally in a unit of sporesplatta fanatics rather than a second waaagh! Source.

If you want to specifically hate on the balista drop, there's an ulgu artefact called bracers of illusion I believe. Use it at the start of a shooting phase to make the character untargetable for that phase.

Edited by Malakree

I don't have any sporesplatta fanatics.

I am sure there will be a couple players using (2) stormcast and (2) nighthaunt.  1 player probably going to play KO, but could mix in dispossessed or fully dispossessed, or even go with Skaven.  KO are my guess, but skaven is just as likely.  I believe there is a Beasts of Chaos player.  Possibly a Fireslayers player.   One player will be playing Khorne, possibly a 2nd player as well.  I have a buddy who plays tzeentch but I think he is unable to make it.  Thats about as good an estimation as I can get of what I'll see.  There should be 4 or more people that I have never seen at the shop I go to, so I am not sure what to expect for them.

Edited by Superninja

@Malakree

I am not sure about a 1 time use artefact for just the shooting.  It definitely addresses the shooting situation, for a turn, but I feel like the -1 to hit from the gryph feather charm or miasmatic blade will provide a nice layer of protection against shooting (especially when combined with lookout sir) and add some more durability in melee as well.

The other mainstay choice is Ignax's scales.  To help vs. mortals.  Obviously that would help vs. the field as well.  But that's another can of worms.

Thank you for the responses btw!!

Edited by Superninja

I want to run a megaboss/brute list but I feel it just much to slow.  I just love the look of it.

Spoiler

Orruk Megaboss (140)
- General
- Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
Orruk Megaboss (140)
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas
5 x Orruk Brutes (180)
- Pair of Brute Choppas

Total: 1000 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 20
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 74

Hi green people! Quick question with the price rise off the start collecting and Ironjawz being one of the most discounted I might just pick it up. 

Main goal for a converted skirmish band but long term for a small army. Is it good value? Money wise it seems so, but do you actually use the models in the box?