Da Mourntoofs: AoS2 Ironjawz

Ademo

Hi all! I recently finished an orc blood bowl team commission for a mate (including some brute players) and liked the models and colour scheme so much I decided to start an Ironjawz army! With all the excitement building for AoS2, I thought it would be a perfect time to start mustering the waaagh! So far, I have a megaboss and the start collecting box and think I'll just let the force grow organically, no real grand plan as such.  I really want to take my time on this army, make some characterful little conversions and do a nice paint job. I recently got 2nd best army for my Stormcast at SCGT2018 and would love to be able to take something totally different next year. 

Capture.JPG.dec5a38b5a7cb0b8e34de542daddd750.JPG

So to get the ball rolling, I've started on a couple of characters. First of all,my megaboss, Hogga. I really love the model, but felt I wanted to add a bit more height to his profile. A megaboss has got to be seen by 'da ladz' right? I went for a boss pole - I still need to greenstuff bits to make the rope/chain banner supports fit and fill gaps. I'm not 100% on the head and left (his) shoulder decoration. The bloodletter skull is cool and all, but wonder if something else might help him stand out from the others - potentially a shield or helmet etc - thoughts appreciated! Anyone used different heads on their boss?

20180526_212055.jpg.ba2b71bdcd3a540e8f4b6a07844e0eda.jpg20180526_212113.jpg.92951c9fdda0b6ac70dd91b0eafa8445.jpg20180526_212133.jpg.e9f1d64a4644abc06e475e5ef29ada86.jpg

Edited by Ademo
  • Like 7

Next up an allied orruk warboss with waaagh banner. With AoS2 opening up some fun combos, this guy seemed like he could be a fun pick. I wanted to keep an ironjawz aesthetic so based him on Ironskull from shadespire. He will have the option of a big axe or his banner, these are both on pins so can be changed out. He is looking a bit rough at the moment but with a bit of tidying up and a paint job I think he should look pretty cool. Here is is: Rasha 

1622504694_20180526_212155(1).jpg.96a6dfa12b21c423217aac2c6d1f494f.jpg1481300276_20180526_212211(1).jpg.be371d921367cfcf0f27160a961dd7b1.jpg

I've also been having some mad thoughts about how I can spice up the goregruntas. Obviously slapping ork warbiker wheelguards on them is the thing to do :D I think it could look cool if I can do ti right and will add some of the main army colour to the front of the model and hopefully make the piggies look even more brutal.

20180526_214123.jpg.f47b9276b475acd75291c066d3d98741.jpg

• Like 4

Looking good! Pretty neato idea with the Grunta jaws. 

I've always had an issue with those. It seems like they had such a cool creature design and then, for what ever reason, let a 2 year old mess around with z brush and said "that'll do"... 

When I finally get around to doing my Ironjawz I have some anatomy green stuff work ahead of me, for sure. 

Again, looking good. 

22 hours ago, Vasshpit said:

Looking good! Pretty neato idea with the Grunta jaws. 

I've always had an issue with those. It seems like they had such a cool creature design and then, for what ever reason, let a 2 year old mess around with z brush and said "that'll do"... 

When I finally get around to doing my Ironjawz I have some anatomy green stuff work ahead of me, for sure. 

Again, looking good. 

Cheers man! Not sure if it'll work or not but sure I can get something to stick. 

I Decided to try mixing up the poses of the big choppas in my ardboyz unit as it will be the main weapon of choice. So, like any good greenskin I got hackin'! ? Bit of a chore but once done should add variety.

20180527_234856.jpg.af7115ff9ede8d502bb025b7c76fd28f.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of a start on tge painting! Had a go at armour chips. Pleased with the effect, may do a bit of light sponging and have a play at scuffs - need to obviously find a balance between setails and overdoing it!20180601_185835.jpg.a254d4626673f66e0358412af24818e4.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Routasydän said:

Turquoise looks great and the weathering is spot on :)

Thanks very much, really pleased with it! 

3 hours ago, Roostmanuva said:

Looking forward to watching this army progress, great start!

Thanks alot! I imagine it will be a pretty slow growing army, got some commissions to do etc but will get as much time with 'da ladz' as possible :D

2 hours ago, S133arcanite said:

With aos2 you can get some really sweet Ironjawz combos: GorefistSpam.pdf

This list centers on first turn charges, racking up an awesome +4 attacks to one gore grunta unit and +2 to every other one.

And Gordrakk.

Yeh that sounds pretty brutal! I'm thinking I'll do a bit more of a general list, using the bits I like the look of mostly. :D

• Like 1

I've had a fun day building kits! Got my first 5 brutes made up and ready for sprayimg and started my first goregrunta - really pleased to report that mt ork warbije tyreguard idea did indeed work, hurray! Will do some more work to make it blend in a bit more but it should look cool painted up ?20180604_142537.jpg.224ceb85da4faec627ff5938ad267618.jpg20180604_224906.jpg.fb6b4ac57a7bf6a6a703a087ba62c561.jpg

On 6/6/2018 at 10:07 PM, alasdair said:

Love that jaw on the Gore Gruntas. I always felt like those models were missing something and that hits the spot.

Thanks very much! I've now fitted all 3 of them with them - should hopefully look cool when done.

Small update - been working more on nailing down the colour scheme.

20180613_230021.jpg.3df5c2f4af56f964fa3affd4a301e9ae.jpg

• Like 5

I'm loving the character in that face! You did a great job with your colors - I'm always a big fan when someone uses a contrasting color on an Orc's lip.

Do you mind telling what colors you used for the skin? I've never been able to nail that look.

Edited by portablezombie
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:11 PM, portablezombie said:

I'm loving the character in that face! You did a great job with your colors - I'm always a big fan when someone uses a contrasting color on an Orc's lip.

Do you mind telling what colors you used for the skin? I've never been able to nail that look.

Thanks alot! The runtherd head has so much character, I imagine him grumbling away at the younger ardboyz ?

As for the skintone:

Screenshot_20180614-075622.jpg.f043ecbee4eaa64754d3cc216bd34c09.jpg

Popped a bit of druchii violet around the lips and eyes too.

I've been playing around with a different skin tone - I aim to mix about 3 across the army for variety. Here's a shot of my medium green ardboyz - this will be the most common I think. Still v WIP, only finished bone, skin and faces20180624_213726.jpg.d3ecc959873bda10c5008ea8dac5940c.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Ademo said:

I've been playing around with a different skin tone - I aim to mix about 3 across the army for variety. Here's a shot of my medium green ardboyz - this will be the most common I think. Still v WIP, only finished bone, skin and faces20180624_213726.jpg.d3ecc959873bda10c5008ea8dac5940c.jpg

After painting 50 ork faces earlier this year, I have to take my hat off to you. Those 2 faces look fantastic. Did you change up your formula much from what you posted before? You mentioned druchii violet around the lips, what base colour/highlight do you use? (apologies if youve answered this and I've missed it).

7 hours ago, Brad Gamma said:

After painting 50 ork faces earlier this year, I have to take my hat off to you. Those 2 faces look fantastic. Did you change up your formula much from what you posted before? You mentioned druchii violet around the lips, what base colour/highlight do you use? (apologies if youve answered this and I've missed it).

Thanks alot! You're a trooper (or madman) for painting that many! This batch I started lighter up my green scale, so the core/base colour is loren forest. The lips are screamer pink, pink horror and emperors children, each mixed with the base skin tone and a final plain emp children

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

With apologies for the massive thread necro, I love the colour palette you've picked here. Any chance you could give a little hint on how you did the turquoise armour?

I actually experimented with a very similar scheme for my Orc blood bowl team before wimping out and rotating the turquoise to purple which was a bit easier to paint, but for tabletop my Ironjawz need to have a link to my Oldhammer army which has a blue theme running through it. The challenge that I see is that you need to have one colour that really pops with brightness - either go with very bright green skin and a darker armour or you need a punchier armour colour with a "normal' skin and I can't figure out how to bring the blue up enough. I must have been through 10 different blue paints trying to make it work to no avail. Maybe I'll post a moan somewhere else and a cry for help....!