Religious Armies

52 minutes ago, Moonlightwolf said:

Probably the only non-religious faction in AOS are freeguild, as they might be aligned to sigmar but the average free guild soldier just cares about putting food on the table for their family and surviving in this terrifying world of gods and monsters. Even the kharadrons follow their code religiously. Religion isn't specifically about a deity it's about following a system of beliefs note that buddhism in real life is a huge religion with no deity.

I dunno, the Freeguild seem pretty elaborate in their worship of Sigmar to me, and highly superstitious. Take this Malign Portents story, for example, where a whole city is taken over by ritual practices: https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

10 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

I dunno, the Freeguild seem pretty elaborate in their worship of Sigmar to me, and highly superstitious. Take this Malign Portents story, for example, where a whole city is taken over by ritual practices: https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

Superstitious certainly and they all "believe" in sigmar but it doesn't shape their army or practices in any way, in the end they just do what they can to survive, their reason for following superstitions is about wanting to live rather than in dedication to a higher power. In fairness after a bit of thought this could also apply to some of the duardin and aelf factions too such as the scourge privateers who seem to act just for profit and adventure.

11 hours ago, robinlvalentine said:

Freeguild seem pretty elaborate in their worship of Sigmar to me, and highly superstitious. Take this Malign Portents story, for example, where a whole city is taken over by ritual practices: https://malignportents.com/story/zensts-decree-of-ordinances/

I’m pretty sure that Priest creating all the ordinances is a Tzeentch Arcanite... or a Vampire’s Thrall... more likely the thrall... 

53 minutes ago, MacDuff said:

Praying to stay alive isn't really faith.

Then who are you praying to? You have to have some level of faith to believe that something supernatural out there will come to your aid. Otherwise ... praying to a higher power when everything is on the line and you’ve run out of chances ... (it’s kind of like a “please don’t let me fail this test” when you’re sitting there about to start your finals ...)

43 minutes ago, Deepkin said:

Since they know Sigmar is real and powerful, do they really have faith?

To paraphrase Willy Wonka, “Where is Faith bred? In the heart or in the head?”

Just because someone knows that some supernatural amazingly powerful being is real, do they believe that being will glance down upon them and “blow a favorable wind their way”? If they don’t get that wind or that “bit of luck” does that mean that they didn’t have enough faith?

Perhaps, that lack of attention to even the smallest of followers, the least mighty is what allows Chaos to step in and offer that bit of help, a rescue when they needed it... potentially in exchange for something later...

50 minutes ago, TheOtherJosh said:

I’m pretty sure that Priest creating all the ordinances is a Tzeentch Arcanite... or a Vampire’s Thrall... more likely the thrall... 

Then who are you praying to? You have to have some level of faith to believe that something supernatural out there will come to your aid. Otherwise ... praying to a higher power when everything is on the line and you’ve run out of chances ... (it’s kind of like a “please don’t let me fail this test” when you’re sitting there about to start your finals ...)

To paraphrase Willy Wonka, “Where is Faith bred? In the heart or in the head?”

Just because someone knows that some supernatural amazingly powerful being is real, do they believe that being will glance down upon them and “blow a favorable wind their way”? If they don’t get that wind or that “bit of luck” does that mean that they didn’t have enough faith?

Perhaps, that lack of attention to even the smallest of followers, the least mighty is what allows Chaos to step in and offer that bit of help, a rescue when they needed it... potentially in exchange for something later...

Alcohol!!??

who needs Sigmar, if you have the solution to everything.

the only true god is Alcohol.

prey to Alcohol!

???

7 hours ago, TheOtherJosh said:

Sure, but they're manipulating the Freeguild population by exploiting their strong religious/superstitious streak 

Religion in Age of Sigmar is going to depend on your own subjective definition of the word religion. Gods exist in the fluff and have varying powers and abilities, and some mortals know about gods and others don't. A marauding barbarian might not know about chaos gods, and a faithless Kharadron Overlord might have stolen from one. 

I'm curious if my Wanderers are still open to whatever interpretation. I'm pretty sure they abandoned the forest after Ariel merged into Alarielle and became the god of the life realm.  Now they 'wander' around placing waystones to strengthen the realm. 

Archived