Khorne Marauder Horsemen

Agent of Chaos

Bit of a tactics thread for Marauder Horsemen with a Khorne flavour as I recently acquired 30 and would love to include them in a list.

I don't see myself running  all 30 very often however a unit of 10 with Javelins and maybe a couple of 5 man units with flails could be the go, but how to get the most out of them?

My reading of some of our most common buffs being, Slaughterpriest's killing frenzy and Bloodstoker's whipped to fury, is that the effects are not limited to melee. This is particularly relevant to javelin wielding horsemen and I am looking at a tactic where they run up behind a shield wall of chaos warriors, throw javelins and then charge in. With a 2" melee range they can stay out of harm's way, and easily retreat and charge something else as required.

A unit of 10 has 20 shots, 4+, 4+, -,1. They already reroll 1's to hit from their banner and with the above buffs are hitting on 3+ and rerolling 1's to wound. If kept in range of the Bloodsecrator then they have 20 melee attacks with the same buffs. A Juggerlord would be handy for buffing their wound rolls in melee but wont help their shooting. Another Slaughterpriest could take them down to 2+ to hit, rerolling 1's in both shooting and melee. Obviously they aren't world beaters but if you get enough hits in they could make the difference, especially since the chaos warrior shield wall isn't that killy. Throw in an Aspiring Deathbringer and some Wrathmongers to boost melee attacks and they could be a formidable unit.

This is what I came up with so far;

Allegiance: Khorne
Aspiring Deathbringer with Goreaxe and Skullhammer (100)
- General
Bloodsecrator (120)
Bloodstoker (80)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
20 x Bloodreavers (140)
- Meatripper Axes
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
20 x Chaos Warriors (360)
- Hand Weapon & Shield
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
10 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (180)
- Javelin & Shield
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
- Chaos Glaives
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000

I think the Skullgrinders Alter Of Skulls ability is the biggest buff they can get. Its difficult to trigger though but buffs both their ranged and melee attacks for the rest of the game.

I think a wall of 30 Chaos Warriors with Halberds and Shields are a great and underused option for Khorne. Its a nice screen for your 3 Slaughterpriests and Marauder Horsemen to stand behind while sniping enemy characters.

I used 25 with a warmammoth and warriors, a warshrine and mr whippy and the bloodsecrator.  They become very effective as their footprint is large and you cna surround a foe, or just peste them with lots of javelins at 8"  Add in a bloodsecrator, and stoker and the prayers from the alter and you're laughing.

The mammoth will also allow them to move d6 before any other movement, so you can use them to cover huge distance very quickly.

Chaos warriors, two handed weapon or halberd and shield and you're good.

Archived