Tournament Death Lists Discussion

Josh

Looking at running a legion of blood with neferata and prince vordrai, and then just a buttload of skellies and ghosts. Not sure what the list is going to comprise completely, but looking for feedback on what I should include to buff the list up. I've got some 70 skellies, 50 with Spears. Some spirit hosts, hexwraiths, black knights, so on. I don't expect it'll be too competitive yet, but does anyone have any ideas? 

For the record, I'm not huge into zombies. skellies and ghosts for meeee

List so far is:

WarscrollBuilderList (1).pdf

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/7/2018 at 5:53 AM, TubmasterGeneral said:

I don't expect it'll be too competitive yet, but does anyone have any ideas? 

List looks fun, some things to consider, skellis really start performing at 30+. So you might want to consider merging 2x20 and splitting one into 2x10 for objective baby sitting. And I grew up with a necromancer for dancing purposes...

Yeah, I'm definitely looking at running a few different lists. I have a bunch of tomb banshees (kitbashed from the mortis engine kit) and a necromancer, and a coven throne I want to play around with. I definitely like the 2 objective grabbers idea. Could make them easier to reanimate too if they get blown off the board

2 hours ago, TubmasterGeneral said:

Could make them easier to reanimate too if they get blown off the board

Suddenly min squat skellis are an option again... haven’t still wrapped my head around the new summoning rules and the resulting tactical options.

Suicide Hexwraiths?!?

I know right!?!?

I'm curious as to whether it'll be more viable to run small summonable units, or wether it'll be better to take larger ones for more oomph. 9 inches isn't a whole lot of room around those graveyard peices to fit 20 models... And having to clear out enemies within 9 can be problematic too... I can't wait to start playing games to test it all out!

I would imagine that having a large blob of 40 skellies coupled with smaller squads of something with enough punch in small numbers is going to make target priority hard for your opponent (~10 GG, 5 BK/Hexwraiths, 3 Spirit Hosts?). Will he dedicate to killing off the 40 skellies, knowing if he fails, most of them will return? Or will he kill off one of the smaller units, even though he knows they will just get summoned back elsewhere?

I think I would focus on bringing back units like Spirit Hosts, Hexwraiths and Blackknights with Command Points and still field Skellies and Zombies in huge blobs.
Think about the healing too, if you try to res a spirit host that will only go on 5 or 6 else you waste it. So by focussing healing on the 1W modells we will use our healing to the max. While being able to bring back the other units with command points.

Another factor imho is the "wholly" part of the rule. Our Enemies at some point will remember this little fact and place their units on our gravesites. So while you might in theory be able to return a 40Blob Skellies, you might only be able to field 10 of them.  On the same area you could put up 10 Hexwraiths, Blackknights or 6 Spirit Hosts.

Positioning will also be a factor: Depending on where you have to put them you might need to much time to get them into action again. More mobile units like dogs and cavallery are a lot more flexible this way.

hmm true. perhaps then my 3 blocks of 20 skellies isn't a poor choice? then just the black knights, hexwraiths and spirit hosts for summoning. I may make a choice between neferata and vordrai, and drop one of them for more skellies, a few more units of hexes, and maybe a necromancer or two? ooo! or a Wight King?  

Hi all.

Because of the new box I'm planning to expand my undead army and I would like a good competitive army. I love undead, when I started AoS I begin completing my 90's armys (wood elves and undead), but never put serious about going competitive dead so now it's time. I dont go tournaments so is not necesary a ultra competitive list and I dont own and dont like dire wolves, so as I dont want an army full of skeletons...

Things I have: Vampire Lord on Steed, Necromancer, 2 Banshees, 30 skeletons, Blood knights, 5 Hexwraiths, 3 spirit hosts and Coven throne.

Things I like: Mosghast, zombie dragon and mortartch.

So easy way it would go take both start collectings isnt it? make a mortarch, make the vampire on zombie dragon, add 10 skellis and make 5 more hexwraiths. It would be nice?? But with all nighthaunt coming should I wait? maybe taking two packs of the new box would make a nice army. Altho I think the SC with mortatch is a nice buy because a lot of people use mortarch, so as the beautiful zombie dragon...

Dont know where to go :) any thoughts??

On 6/8/2018 at 12:02 PM, Hoseman said:

Hi all.

<snip>

Things I have: Vampire Lord on Steed, Necromancer, 2 Banshees, 30 skeletons, Blood knights, 5 Hexwraiths, 3 spirit hosts and Coven throne.

Things I like: Mosghast, zombie dragon and mortartch.

<snip>

Dont know where to go :) any thoughts??

Battleforce: Grand Alliance Death Blade of the Blood Queen

Everything in it will compliment what you currently have.  All Mortarchs use the same two sprues so don’t feel pigeonholed.

I picked up two Start Collectong FECs and made them as VLoZD (all of my currents are metal on square bases) and used one set to make another Varguist unit.

What do you guys think of allying in a Ghoul King on Terrorgheist into a Lords of Sacrament Battalion? Using the extra command point turn 1 or 2 for an extra 160 points of Flayers seems like it could be worth it, and it's not like the GKoTG is a slouch in combat, either.  Think this could be a competitive option, or should I just stick to an extra 2 Morghast and block of 20 Grave Guard or something? 400 points isn't exactly cheap to throw around, even if you do get an extra 160 back.

• 1 month later...

bumping this thread, got another 3rd place & best death player on the weekend at a 24 man Tournament on the weekend with legion of sacrament ^^ was a really tough field & really happy with the result. I feel the legion / death as a whole are very powerful in 2.0

hows everyone doing? What is everyone's findings?

DjREGoxV4AAyw6C.jpg

Congrats! Your good showings on tournaments seem to continue! I haven't had much time to experiment with AOS 2.0 myself, but from what I've seen from the other Death players in the area 2x40 skeletons work like a charm in most lists. The one I saw having the most success had Arkhan and his battalion + 2x40 skeletons as a core, so that's an interesting approach I'd like to test myself whenever I finally have enough time to actually play :D 

What was your list? I'm assuming it was the one with the 30 direwolves, Arkhan and Vhordrai? 

thanks man, I see the value in skellies & would be painful to deal with for sure , i personally wouldn't use the battalion at 2000 points

my list was basically the same except some minor tweaks, prince V for VLoZD, one less necro & 5x doggies for another unit of hosts & 2cp boost which was super helpful;

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Overwhelming Dread (Deathmages)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Spectral Grasp
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour

Battleline
30 x Dire Wolves (320)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)
5 x Dire Wolves (60)

Units
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)
6 x Spirit Hosts (240)

Total: 1900 / 2000
Extra Command Points: 2
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 151

• 1 month later...

bumping this, so leading up to anther big event in Queensland, Australia  RCGT III is on at the end of the month, 54 players & gearing up for it !

going to try out my tweaked Josh Maher TM build with the addition of some grimghasts to help with chaff & low quality horde units, keen to see how we go, list ad follows;

Allegiance: Legion of Sacrament
Mortal Realm: Shyish

Leaders
Arkhan The Black Mortarch of Sacrament (320)
- General
- Lore of the Dead: Amethystine Pinions (Vampires)
Vampire Lord On Zombie Dragon (440)
- Deathlance & Shield & Chalice
- Artefact: Ethereal Amulet 
- Lore of the Vampires: Vile Transference
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Overwhelming Dread
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Fading Vigour
Necromancer (110)
- Lore of the Deathmages: Spectral Grasp

Battleline
5 x Dire Wolves (60)