Help with Aelf list/theme out of stuff lying around

Gaz Taylor

Like many wargamers, i'm a bit of a magpie when it comes to collecting models and every now and then I have a bit of a tidy up or I try and make an army out of the bits I have (I try and make it a bit of a game). Last Age of Sigmar army I did like this, was my Pink Ogors with Stonehorns and I have had a lot of fun playing with them but I fancy a change. 

So going through my 'collection' I have the following...

29 Black Ark Corsairs (one has gone missing)

10 Drakespawn Knights

15 Reavers

1 Bolt Thrower (I think I have another one lurking around but not seen it)

10 Swordmasters

1 Archmage

and 2 Chariots (I think I have enough parts)

So as you can see I have a nice collection of stuff I can turn into an army but I'm unsure which direction to go in. Not after the best army but something fun and after using Stonehorns my brain is struggling.

So what would you do with this lot and what would you add to it?

When I started Age of Sigmar early in 2017 I had a similar list of stuff left over from previous editions.  Corsairs (always loved the model but their rules make me sad), Drakespawn knights (again some amazing models but worse than Dragon Blades for a higher point cost), reaper bold thrower, a bunch of Black Guard. 

I played with it awhile, but then I was lured away to Stormcast when it appeared there would be no Dark Elf love from GW for some time.  Now that Daughters of Khaine are here I have my fix, but those old models still beckon. 

Even though I wouldn't personally go down the Swifthawk path since i'm more of the dark elf persuasion, I think the Skywardens, Skycutters, and High Warden are beautiful models that would go well with your Reavers and Chariots.  I also think it would be surprisingly effective.  I can't think of any other list with access to so much mobility.  16" moves catch people out.  It's one thing to know it intellectually and another to see the model actually move that far across the table.

It is a bit of an eclectic mix.  You could go down the medieval Robber Baron route with mounted knights and foot knights with individual heraldry on shields and cloaks, mounted men-at-arms ( Reavers ) and peasants ( Corsairs ).  With the Archmage as your adviser, that would just leave finding a suitable Baron - Dreadlord on Black Dragon?  This would probably require sacrificing something as you have 1780 points I think. I would bump the corsairs up to 40 ( sorry 39 ) for 20 more points, though, as you can't have too many peasants.  A third hero wouldn't go amiss either - maybe a Loremaster or a waywatcher ( poacher turned gamekeeper ). 

Hope that helps, if only to perhaps spark other ideas.

I have an Order Serpentis army, which you could create but you'd need a dragon for the General. You have enough battleline units with 2x drakespawn and 2x chariot for up to 2000 points but without the hydra and other bits it wouldn't be all that strong. 

Edit: is that a drakespawn chariot? Looking how you've written, seems more HE chariot than DE. 

11 hours ago, Aelfric said:

It is a bit of an eclectic mix.  You could go down the medieval Robber Baron route with mounted knights and foot knights with individual heraldry on shields and cloaks, mounted men-at-arms ( Reavers ) and peasants ( Corsairs ).  With the Archmage as your adviser, that would just leave finding a suitable Baron - Dreadlord on Black Dragon?  This would probably require sacrificing something as you have 1780 points I think. I would bump the corsairs up to 40 ( sorry 39 ) for 20 more points, though, as you can't have too many peasants.  A third hero wouldn't go amiss either - maybe a Loremaster or a waywatcher ( poacher turned gamekeeper ). 

Hope that helps, if only to perhaps spark other ideas.

That is quite a cool idea. Sounds very cool and something that could fit in with the Idoneth Deepkin depending on when they appear, as I'm quite keen on those as well. Certainly sparked some ideas. Thank you.

2 hours ago, syph0n said:

I have an Order Serpentis army, which you could create but you'd need a dragon for the General. You have enough battleline units with 2x drakespawn and 2x chariot for up to 2000 points but without the hydra and other bits it wouldn't be all that strong. 

Edit: is that a drakespawn chariot? Looking how you've written, seems more HE chariot than DE. 

Sorry they are HE chariots. But would be interesting in seeing your list and how you get on with them. 

You'd probably be better suited to building a general order list from those models. I'm not sure what you have already is standard battleline, maybe the Reavers? Then the rest you can just take however. 

Edit: You've got a very squishy general, so depends on what size army you go to whether you need an upgrade or not. 

You've got potential little 1k lists there for different factions and the Reavers are standard battleline so it's quite easy to go mixed Order. If you were to add another leader model, that could really shape the army towards another faction with allies, maybe using Firestorm bonuses like Anvilgard if you got a dragon for example. 

Archived