Grand Host of Nagash - Making it work

Major

So tonight, for a friendly game to test out a no-battalion list with heaps of drops (I find I don't mind losing first turn as playing death you want to stop the double turns of your opponent most of all and most people opt to go first when they win initiative).

Nagash
Arkhan
Necromancer
40 skelletons
20 Skelletons
10 Black knights

1990 points. 

What you reckon?

22 minutes ago, Major said:

So tonight, for a friendly game to test out a no-battalion list with heaps of drops (I find I don't mind losing first turn as playing death you want to stop the double turns of your opponent most of all and most people opt to go first when they win initiative).

You are lucky. Everyone where I play opts to go 2nd when they win initiative, so that they can control the pace of the game until they feel like cashing in their double. 1-3 drop lists are still all the rage here.

Lads, one question regarding my big concern - I have Nagash and I'll love to utilize him. This is so far my only death model. Lists you guys post, either with big blob of skeletons/grave guard with necros and morghasts looks fun but... they came aroud 88 wounds in a 2k army. Isn't that a big problem? I mean, outside of blob, what else is kicking names and taking ass in the army?

I completely agree with you. I run my nagash with a vampire lord on zombie dragon, that way there are more threats. 40 skeletons is amazing, but against a player with any mobility they will just kite it. Just my thoughts. Though against inexperienced players skeletons are amazing, people don’t realise that charging them is a terrible idea until it’s too late.

what else is good next to nagash to cause some mele threat?

On 3/25/2018 at 7:53 AM, WillofNagash said:

I completely agree with you. I run my nagash with a vampire lord on zombie dragon, that way there are more threats. 40 skeletons is amazing, but against a player with any mobility they will just kite it. Just my thoughts. Though against inexperienced players skeletons are amazing, people don’t realise that charging them is a terrible idea until it’s too late.

what else is good next to nagash to cause some mele threat?

Moghast Arkai are great with Nagash, first cohort makes them even better and faaaaar out they can put wounds out when they need to with the helberds as they get an extra attack each with the battalion as well to take them to same number of attacks as with the swords. I also find taking arkhan along with Nagash in a 2k list is simple enough (see my list above). Arkhan may be about his spells but he is no slouch and has the wounds as well as the table presence to make him a threat. Also given that Nagash knows the spells of his lesser/other wizards on the table, arkhan is a good option. I have personally not enjoyed the vampire lord on zombie dragon, not just because I've never seen him as mvp of my games but also aesthetically it looks off with everything else being skeletons and not zombz/vamps.

Horde units still have their place in competitive play as well as against the more inexperienced. They can be summoned in at gravesites, have high rejuvenation capabilities they can hold up objectives and a unit of 40 can spread quite wide if you need a good catch-all net for table control or movement restrictions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 6-1 with first cohort. I can't believe it didn't do well at Adepticon. I don't think many people are doing it. It has no issues with controlling the game and obliterating opponents - its only weakness is objective management. If your opponent wins the turn too many times and racks up points you might not be able to kill them in time to get ahead.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:06 PM, WoollyMammoth said:

I'm 6-1 with first cohort. I can't believe it didn't do well at Adepticon. I don't think many people are doing it. It has no issues with controlling the game and obliterating opponents - its only weakness is objective management. If your opponent wins the turn too many times and racks up points you might not be able to kill them in time to get ahead.

Ooooh what list what list?!?!

Vampire Lord with Wings, 2 Necromancers, 6 morghast harbingers with halberds, 2 units of 30 grave guard, 10 dire wolves. Due to grand host’s “Chosen Guardians” rule, your morghasts get 4 attacks. Have the vampire lord use “Blood Feast” on the morghasts and now you have 5 attacks each for them. With 30 attacks at  a 2” range, I don’t care who or what you hit. If that morghast unit hits, the enemy dies! Bloodthirsters, Nagash, Star Dragons, horde units, or whatever! Use “Ancient Strategist” on Vampire Lord to reroll failed 3D6 charges for the morghasts. They are the sledgehammer, the grave guard are the grind. Keep the puppies stretched out long in front of the grave guard to run block against the enemies long or heavy charges. Grand Host is phenomenal and very fun to play.

6 hours ago, Major said:

Ooooh what list what list?!?!

its earlier in the topic. Nagash first cohort.  Archai, 40 skeletons, two units of 5 GG with 6 spirit hosts and a necromancer. Nagash gets his spells off almost always to control the battle with dread and fading vigor while blasting the board with wounds and healing. Nagash has never even come close to dying ever while giving everyone re-rolls to hit and save and not having to worry about battleshock. Archai are stupid strong with that and the extra attack from LoN. Grave Guard are often underestimated and hit way harder than opponents expected. Spirit hosts provide some mortal wound output along with being an immovable object and sometimes first turn charges. The list has the most brutal damage of any list I've ever played, while controlling the game, and resurrecting most anything that dies. 

Archived