Newbie Death Player - Army building

Wmossuk

Hey all

I’m mostly a painter but after the release of legions of nagash I am pushing myself to finish a death army for my own.

Can people give me some advice as I’m not sure what type of army I want to go for. I like skeletons but I also like the look of fenrisian wolves as model proxies for dire wolves. 

I’m mostly a shooting and magic type player. I’m not so confident in facing in the enemy face-to-face.

What do you guys suggest?

You really can’t go wrong with a few boxes of skeletons. The models look cool, a bit of a pain to assemble though just in terms of parts.  In game they are real good for what they cost. I recommend at least three boxes, maybe four, to start. Then,  if you need a break, do the wolves. 

6 hours ago, Caladancid said:

You really can’t go wrong with a few boxes of skeletons. The models look cool, a bit of a pain to assemble though just in terms of parts.  In game they are real good for what they cost. I recommend at least three boxes, maybe four, to start. Then,  if you need a break, do the wolves. 

But I need more than one Battletline unit don’t i?

18 minutes ago, Wmossuk said:

But I need more than one Battletline unit don’t i?

Dire Wolves count as Battleline as well. So, a big block of skeletons (they aren't great in small numbers) and a unit or two of wolves works.

If you haven't already, pick up and read through the Legions of Nagash book. They may help inspire what kind of army you want, and what models pique your interest. 

1 hour ago, flamingwalnut said:

Dire Wolves count as Battleline as well. So, a big block of skeletons (they aren't great in small numbers) and a unit or two of wolves works.

If you haven't already, pick up and read through the Legions of Nagash book. They may help inspire what kind of army you want, and what models pique your interest. 

Thanks. I would like to try both of them out so good to know I can mix and match and not worry too much. 

The 10 skeletons I have atm are sword and board. Would it still be effective to be able to just get another 10 or should I have built them with spears?

13 hours ago, Wmossuk said:

Thanks. I would like to try both of them out so good to know I can mix and match and not worry too much. 

The 10 skeletons I have atm are sword and board. Would it still be effective to be able to just get another 10 or should I have built them with spears?

Many swear by the spears, though I like the look of sword and board better (and they are easier to store). For a big skeleton horde, spears allow most of the horde to get attacks in, which really adds up with the Necromancer's spell. 

So, if you want to focus on PURE efficiency, spears look to be the way to go. 

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see that this was moved already.

Well, here the base rules are finished (40 skellis, 2x5 puppies) and the hard decisions are to be made... 1-2 necros for sure maybe ever a vamp on horse for smaller games.

Then your between the rock and a hard place 

going first cohort: big N +morghast

going Blood: neffi morghast terrorgheist maybe some engine

going night: VLoZD, morghast Terrorgheist

going sacrament: arkhan Engine VLoZD morghast

So, morghast are nice wrecking balls. Terrorgheist are nice surprise or wrecking bravery depleted stuff and a mortarch kit is nice to have ??‍♀️

Upps, almost forgot...

there is no such thing as too many skellis

Archived