Grave Guard: Sword and Board or Great Blade

Scythian

14 minutes ago, someone2040 said:

I could perhaps see a case in Legion of Night for sword and board if the intent is to use some as objective defenders.

I think though most people want to use Grave Guard as an aggressive killing unit, and in that case you may as well go all in on the Great Blades.

Unless your running them in a LoN list as part of The Bait, than I don't think you'll get much mileage out of Sword and Board. The main benefit is that a SnB GG will never ever be removed by enemy baseline troops, so Liberators, Free guild Guard, Dryads, etc. Basically anything that relies on large amounts of Rend "-" attacks, or good defense. Their Sword is honestly pretty decent, so they do come out on top when put in that sort of situation. Afterall, with The Bait, their shields and a Mystic Shield/Cover, they will be rocking a +2 save, and still regenerating a great deal.

Problem is though, is that any rend at ALL will wreck them rather hard, and take away their +1 from their shield. -1 rend becomes -2 in that case, and -2 becomes -3, and so on. So they will get wiped by any decent combat unit. Secondly, they slow and expensive. Being 2x the price of skeletons, but just as a slow, and only marginally more defensive can seriously  hurt them. And the other problem is that Skeletons already do such a great job at similar jobs, that it makes it hard to justify switching over to GG. To put it bluntly, would you rather have 1 GG with 2 attacks and a +2 save, or 2 Skeletons with 6 attacks, and a +3 save?

18 hours ago, flemingmma said:

Sword and board because you can make sikk looking grave guard out of chaos warriors

20180221_132102.jpg.719174d3db6dcd2cdd83a95c2e1c2b73.jpg20180221_132125.jpg.1d5a2f16c0499deabd76a6cf047c18f6.jpg

Looks so cool! Think i will copy that! 

16 hours ago, Lemon Knuckles said:

That *IS* pretty sick looking!

And...Just buy the seperate great weapons for Chaos warriors and BOOM! You got a 2h grave guard unit ?

24 minutes ago, Arentius said:

Depends on your local groups.

I play against lots of horde armies who have rend - so the shields made more sense for me. In the grand scheme of things people try and overwhelm with dice rather than have bigger harder attacks.

Yeah i agree!

This is kind of off topic, sorry...but since this is a thread about GG...how did you(whoever) find them performing on the table? Good? Bad? Decent? 

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Yeah i agree!

This is kind of off topic, sorry...but since this is a thread about GG...how did you(whoever) find them performing on the table? Good? Bad? Decent? 

They've done remarkably well for me so far, a unit of 20 held off a star drake and whittled him down. turn 1 the drake and rider killed 11..then on my turn 10 got back up. I see the appeal of giant blobs of skeletons over GG but..20GG with a Wight king backing them up is a scary thing to face (though I'd have lost far more GG had I not had Nagash making me immune to Bshock tests)

7 hours ago, Arentius said:

They've done remarkably well for me so far, a unit of 20 held off a star drake and whittled him down. turn 1 the drake and rider killed 11..then on my turn 10 got back up. I see the appeal of giant blobs of skeletons over GG but..20GG with a Wight king backing them up is a scary thing to face (though I'd have lost far more GG had I not had Nagash making me immune to Bshock tests)

Cool! Sounds good and fun. What Batalion did you use in that list? Can you share the list even? ?

1 hour ago, Kimbo said:

Cool! Sounds good and fun. What Batalion did you use in that list? Can you share the list even? ?

Was a Grand host of Nagash.

Nagash

Necromancer

wight king with tomb blade

20 skeletons with spears

15 (not 20 sorry normally take em in a 20) graveguard

5 Dire wolves

2  Archai

5 Black knights

the first cohort battalion.

artifacts were grave sand hourglass and the balefire lantern

2 hours ago, lare2 said:

Love the hourglass. Haven't used the lantern yet - how'd you find it? 

Mixed bag! The -1 to wound is amazing and combined with overwhelming dread (especially if locus procs) shuts down melee units hard.

The magic side is a double edge sword, as they can barely pass a spell cast reroll and suddenly have a value of 10.

overall I’d still take it though!

Archived