Gore Pilgrims or Murderhost? Where to start.

Kimbo

Hi! 

Some month's ago i started a Blades of Khorne army but other things got in the way so it was put on hold...now im back and we got a whole new GH17 and im interested to know some things about my two favorite batallions. First:

Gore Pilgrims:

- is it still viable? On a scale of 1-10 on a competitive scale?

- do you play it differently now than before? 

- i would love a good 2k list to start with, something you find solid and fun for this batalion, can you show me your take on a good list using this Batallion?

Murderhost:

- same questions as above! 

------

Can you use 2 batallions still? Or is it to costly?

Are There other batallions that you experienced players like to use? That works well on the table. I am not a tournament player, yet. But any tip on playstyle or anything valueble related to this faction is well appriciated! 

Blood for the blood God! 

Either are great choices. It depends on your mortal/daemon preforance. 

Bloodletter are cool but also mold line heavy.

Id say they are BoKs strongest Battalions left. Using both eats 30 letters away from lists.

Just go with what you like the most out of the two :)

I'm having fun with GorePilgrims, that's for sure. Key is to field it with  the full 3x slaughterpriests IMO. Portal of Skulls at 36" is awesome. And 3x re-rollable  prayers, and 3x re-rollable and stackable blessing buffs, gives you incredible tactical flexibility.  That said, you are slotting in 5x auto-include leaders: 1xbloodsecrator, 3xslaugherpriest, 1x bloodstoker (you need him too).  That leaves only 1x leader if you want to run murderhost too. WoK seems the popular choice.  From there the list builds itself: 30Xbloodletters, Bloodwarriors and reavers to taste.  Leaving you with option of one more unit: Wrathmongers for monster killers and buffs; Skullreapers for another hard hitter;  Skullcrushers for a little speed; or plenty of other options. 

50 minutes ago, annarborhawk said:

I'm having fun with GorePilgrims, that's for sure. Key is to field it with  the full 3x slaughterpriests IMO. Portal of Skulls at 36" is awesome. And 3x re-rollable  prayers, and 3x re-rollable and stackable blessing buffs, gives you incredible tactical flexibility.  That said, you are slotting in 5x auto-include leaders: 1xbloodsecrator, 3xslaugherpriest, 1x bloodstoker (you need him too).  That leaves only 1x leader if you want to run murderhost too. WoK seems the popular choice.  From there the list builds itself: 30Xbloodletters, Bloodwarriors and reavers to taste.  Leaving you with option of one more unit: Wrathmongers for monster killers and buffs; Skullreapers for another hard hitter;  Skullcrushers for a little speed; or plenty of other options. 

Do you have a good example list that you like? That you tried to atleast mediocre effect? For 2k points

Would be Nice! 

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with 2x30 bloodletters as a start, either list uses them effectively at 2000 points. If I was to start over with Khorne, my first purchases would have been 1 daemon starter and 5 bloodletter boxes plus the blood secretor. From there you can branch into different builds more effectively.

This is an example of a gore pilgrims list.

Allegiance: Khorne
Wrath Of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)
- General
- Trait: Immense Power 
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
- Artefact: The Brazen Rune 
Slaughterpriest with Hackblade and Wrathhammer (100)
- Blood Blessing: Killing Frenzy
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
10 x Blood Warriors (200)
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 146

The idea is to buff the bloodletters up with everyone and send them into combat thanks to the wrath of Khorne bloodthirster's command order. +7 to run and charge, reroll 1s to hit/wound, +2/+3 to hit depending on how lucky you are, and the crimson crown adding extra attacks make for a very powerful turn 1 and turn 2 charges from your bloodletter units while you can get the objectives with the other units. Personally, I prefer the murderhost, but this is no slouch. You can switch a stoker for a 3rd priest if you prefer, but you are severely gimping your chances for a turn 1 charge.

11 hours ago, Keldaur said:

Whatever you choose, you can't go wrong with 2x30 bloodletters as a start, either list uses them effectively at 2000 points. If I was to start over with Khorne, my first purchases would have been 1 daemon starter and 5 bloodletter boxes plus the blood secretor. From there you can branch into different builds more effectively.

This is an example of a gore pilgrims list.

- General
- Artefact: The Crimson Crown 
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
- Reaver Blades
- Goreaxes
- 1x Goreglaives
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1980 / 2000
Wounds: 146

The idea is to buff the bloodletters up with everyone and send them into combat thanks to the wrath of Khorne bloodthirster's command order. +7 to run and charge, reroll 1s to hit/wound, +2/+3 to hit depending on how lucky you are, and the crimson crown adding extra attacks make for a very powerful turn 1 and turn 2 charges from your bloodletter units while you can get the objectives with the other units. Personally, I prefer the murderhost, but this is no slouch. You can switch a stoker for a 3rd priest if you prefer, but you are severely gimping your chances for a turn 1 charge.

Thanks! Looks great, i will try it out!

When you said you prefer Murderhost..how does your list change then??

Cheers

How many drops should you aim for? This list i made has 5...to much? 

This is based on what i have painted...you think its alright? 

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
Bloodstoker (80)
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
30 x Bloodletters (270)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)

Units
5 x Wrathmongers (180)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Wounds: 147

3 hours ago, Kimbo said:

Thanks! Looks great, i will try it out!

When you said you prefer Murderhost..how does your list change then??

Cheers

x3-4  30 bloodletters

xY flesh hounds

1 Bloodletter hero

1 Bloodsecrator

And the rest up it's up to you. If you prefer a full murderhost, you will need to get 4 flesh hound units at least.

These are both my favourite battalions! I love slaughterpriests and this makes them morr reliable and at the same time buffing the bloodsecrator! Murderhost makes da red ones go fasta, and that is always good in my book. Plus every khorne daemon I have fits nicely into that battalion.

I'm building up to making a list using both, basically adding more bloodletters to fill out the ranks.

Flesh hounds are really good in the murderhost. 

Also sprinkle with bloodstoker to whip dem daemons even faster at the enemy.  And the Talisman of burning blood helps too.

Yeah both are really fine choices. The real question is what you prefer as above. As it basically always boils down to:

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirser
Bloodsecrator
Skullmaster/Skulltaker
Slaughterpriest
Bloodstoker
Bloodstoker
3x 30 Bloodletters
5 Wrathmongers
Khorgorath

VS

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster
Bloodsecrator
Slaughterpriest
Slaughterpriest
Slaughterpriest
Bloodstoker
2x 30 Bloodletters
10 Blood Warriors
10 Bloodreavers
5 Wrathmongers

One is really fast, the other is really buffy. It's really up to preforance. Both are great.

Gore Pilgrims is amazing, especially against magic heavy enemies.

I did a crazy thing and used a gore pilgrims list without bloodletters (as I was worried about horde destroying spells). Depends if you have access to slaves to darkness units as alternatives (marked Khorne of course!). List as follows;

- General; Trait: Immense Power; Artefact: Deathdealer 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
5 x Blood Warriors (100)- Goreaxes & Gorefist
10 x Bloodreavers (70)- Meatripper Axes
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Ensorcelled Weapons
- Mark of Chaos: Khorne
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Chaos Glaives
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Tabled a Tzeentch army with the above. Link to battle report below if you're interested; 

On 2018-01-29 at 3:32 AM, Agent of Chaos said:

Gore Pilgrims is amazing, especially against magic heavy enemies.

I did a crazy thing and used a gore pilgrims list without bloodletters (as I was worried about horde destroying spells). Depends if you have access to slaves to darkness units as alternatives (marked Khorne of course!). List as follows;

- General; Trait: Immense Power; Artefact: Deathdealer 
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
- Blood Blessing: Bronzed Flesh
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
5 x Flesh Hounds (100)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)- Meatripper Axes
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Ensorcelled Weapons
5 x Chaos Knights (160) - Chaos Glaives
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Tabled a Tzeentch army with the above. Link to battle report below if you're interested; 

Your list inspired me! I made my own take on your list (Love Knights)

What do you guys think? Plz anyone can comment! 1 or 2?

List 1:

- General
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)

30 x Bloodletters (270)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
5 x Wrathmongers (180)
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1970 / 2000
Wounds: 142

List 2:

Allegiance: Chaos

Leaders
- General
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Bloodsecrator (120)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)
Slaughterpriest (100)

Battleline
30 x Bloodletters (270)
10 x Flesh Hounds (200)
10 x Bloodreavers (70)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)
5 x Chaos Knights (160)

Battalions
Gore Pilgrims (180)

Total: 1990 / 2000
Wounds: 147

Happy to help! :-)

Both lists are good. From what I can tell the only difference is choosing between 10 x fleshhounds or 5 x Wrathmongers.

The main reason I included Fleshhounds in my list was because I thought that even with the 36" range banner making him reroll successful casts, in my experience Tzeentch dont struggle to successfully cast (destiny dice and all) and so thought their unbinding collars might be needed. I also thought I might need to chase down some Skyfyres so their speed could be handy. As it turned out my opponent didnt take any Skyfyres and the hounds werent required to do any unbinding. 

Both options are viable. If you know that you are coming up against a big monster then def go Wrathmongers. Its also really good to bubble wrap them with Bloodletters for even more attacks.

As always when it comes to these decisions play a couple of games with each list and work out which you prefer/which does the most work for you.

3 hours ago, Agent of Chaos said:

Happy to help! :-)

Both lists are good. From what I can tell the only difference is choosing between 10 x fleshhounds or 5 x Wrathmongers.

The main reason I included Fleshhounds in my list was because I thought that even with the 36" range banner making him reroll successful casts, in my experience Tzeentch dont struggle to successfully cast (destiny dice and all) and so thought their unbinding collars might be needed. I also thought I might need to chase down some Skyfyres so their speed could be handy. As it turned out my opponent didnt take any Skyfyres and the hounds werent required to do any unbinding. 

Both options are viable. If you know that you are coming up against a big monster then def go Wrathmongers. Its also really good to bubble wrap them with Bloodletters for even more attacks.

As always when it comes to these decisions play a couple of games with each list and work out which you prefer/which does the most work for you.

Wise words, i will try both out.

How did you feel the knights performed on the table? 

Cheers!

My knights always do well. Sure they're not as powerful as previous versions of warhammer but they do a job. 4+ save and 3 wounds means they generally hang around.

In the above game they showed good resilience against mortal wound attacks from the flamers and warp fire dragon (love those rune shields). They love a buff from a blood stoker (essentially +4" to charge with their musician). A chaos lord of khorne on daemonic steed is a great general choice when running knights as his command ability gives +1 to hit and reroll charges. If you  can get killing frenzy on them as well you can have knights with glaives that will make their charge, hit on 2+, wounding on 3+ (rerolling 1's from being stoked)! Because of the small unit size, even when outside bloodsecrator range,  battleshock doesnt tend to be an issue (don't forget they also debuff enemy bravery).

I almost always have a unit of 5 and did not regret taking 2 units in that game :-)

Archived