I Want to Believe - Beast of Nurgle

Sleboda

First off, I think this is the right spot for this, but if not,  mods, feel free to reposition.

Second, this is not a rant,  so please don't take it that way. 

Now then,  help!

I love Nurgle,  especially Nurglings and beasts.  Early on,  in the Realm of Chaos days, they drew me in with their charm. The beasts in particular were so neat with their puppy-like attitudes combined with their inadvertent deadliness.

The model was perfect for them.  Perfect.  I bought several and still own a few.  Love 'em.

Other versions after that were,  um, less than great, but it was ok because I still had my older ones and they held up well for their era (the metal years).

Then word came of a new plastic model that would fit the amazing aesthetic of all the new plastics.  Yes!  Time to get, oh, I dunno 10 or 12 of them. 

The art we saw associated with them gave me pause,  but I figured it was actually not the beasts,  just a placeholder. 

Then we got these new models. While still cool in their own way,  and still echoing certain aspects of the original,  they depart in key areas,  most of all the raised arm and,  worst of all, the "person-like" faces.  They no longer feel like playful murderpuppies to me.  They feel more like chaos spawn - mortals that got "rewarded" and turned into slugs.

But ok, fine,  $25 each and I'll get 7 just for competeness. Wait. What's that?  $40 each? Ouch.

Now I'm thinking of getting just two. One to do as shown on the box and one to convert,  heavily,  to look like the originals. 

How can you help?

Convince me that these models are salvageable and that I'm just missing the awesomeness so I can get a bunch of 'em. :)

They're an individually nice model, but you can't take more than a couple of them before the posing becomes samey.

My plan is to buy 2, a box of Chaos spawn, and a box of River TRoggoths to convert up, losing the legs from the models and using them to form the basis of a tail.

If you want them to look less anthropomorphic and more bestial/daemonic, I'd lose the faces completely, and perhaps even the arms. File those things down completely and put a lumpy mass of green stuff in their place. That way their quivering mass of tubes becomes the focal point of the model, and presumably their primary sense organs, making them seem more horrifying and unknowable (but still squishy and fun). As an added bonus, you won't have the arms drawing attention to the fact that these are mono-pose models, so you'll be able to field as many as you want without it looking weird.

Archived