Starting a Moonclan.

Grendel

I'm a long time fantasy player, but have never played AoS, I'm looking to get into it with a Moonclan Grots force and would like to call on your collective wisdom..

I've always loved the theme of Night Goblins, and playing the Skarsnik campaign in Total War got me inspired again. 

So I'm looking to build a 1k force, which can be expanded to 2k later on. 

So what's hot and what's not?

I definitely want to use the Skarsnik model, with squigs in there. 
I'm open to the use of allies (200/400pts).

I hear spears are better than cuttas? Why is that?

Any general advice or guidance is useful.  

I've recently starting playing my Moonclan again, working on my own 1000 points as well. My List is:

Warboss (Skarsnik)

Shaman

Shaman

40 Grots (6 Nets, Spears) 

10 Cave Squigs

3 Fanatics

Mangler Squig.

Big blocks of grots supported by all types of squigs is whats hot, small units can melt quite quickly, although they are useful for just sitting on the backfield objectives. Mangler Squigs are insane, always try to bring at least one if you can. Spears are deemed better than cuttas due to their 2" range complementing the large size of the units, they attack with an extra rank of grots and its easier to get more attacks in. 

Fanatics can be used either defensively to block charges or aggressively to jump out and hit something hard. I use them mainly to counter charge units threatening my squig units.  

Check out the Lets Chat Moonclan thread there is loads of advice on there mate and good luck!

@Grendel welcome to the 'clan! I also started playing due to the awesome skarsnik TW:W campaign xD

I'm fairly new to moonclan (actually I play mixed spiders + moonclan), but what I've learned so far regarding your questions is:

• Things are different than in TW;W, the units that you love in that game might be terrible in this, e.g. I loved squig hoppers in that game but they SUCK in this one.
  • Cave squigs (no goblin riders) are much better. They are a throwaway line of models that can chew through armored enemies, and chew through armor again when they rout in the battleshock phase (which they will!)
  • Moonclan are generally an army that isn't super reliant on heroes and generals and synergies, each blob of models seems pretty self-sufficient (compared to say, forest goblins)
  • Moonclan heroes and generals are squishy and will die, so Skarsnik will not be the tank that he is in TW;W. You gotta stay back and buff things whilst hiding from ranged attacks / spells
  • Your main damage dealers not be like how it is in TW:W - you don't get arachnaroks unless you play mixed spiderfang-moonclan, you don't have nasty skulkers for stealth stabbin', your archers SUCK, and your cavalry options are terrible. 
  • So what does the damage? squigs, squig mangler monsters, collossal squig monster, and your rank and file goblins (with spears, if you have BIG units of them, 40+ models)
  • Oh and one other difference from TW;W - Fanatics are awesome in this game, really really good as they can crowd-control enemies for a whole turn by charging in the enemy charge phase, or just wreck through heavy armor like a knife through butter. 
  • So if you like squigs, and like nightgoblin spearmen, and fanatics, you'll like moonclan in AOS, probably.  

Well, an squig army one the grand tournament heat 2, so squigs clearly aren't that bad...he said about his tactics:

''My strategy was this – I’d use my wizards and command abilities to boost the power of the Colossal Squig and let it loose on my enemy’s biggest unit or hero. It didn’t matter if it managed to kill them or not – all it needed to do was cause havoc. After this, I’d send the first Mangler Squigs, then the next. Using Fanatics and the natural speed of Grots, I was able to control the board – while the Squigs are powerful, this is where the true strength of the army lies. This also protects my army against the danger of a double turn for the enemy.

In my final game, I would have given my second priority to the Ironjawz had I won the roll. Fanatics kept me safe and this would have allowed me to take a vital double turn – I can’t stress enough how movement, board control and numbers are essential for games of Warhammer Age of Sigmar matched play. In my game, my heroes were overlooked because the Squigs were such an immediate threat, but a Grot Warboss is actually a pretty powerful combatant on his own and makes for a fine late game finisher. I’d also recommend Grot Shamans; these are fantastic for their points, do solid damage and are easy to hide amongst the rest of your army. What I have is an army that looks weak on paper and would seem to suffer in a lot of matchups – but then again, this is true of a lot of armies in Warhammer Age of Sigmar. The game is played on the board – that’s where strategy and abilities and synergies come together and small units become game changers.''

Got 1000p of Moonclan painted up. 

Warboss

Shaman 

40 spears

3 fanatics

15 cave squigs

2 herders

Mangler

In 1000p games the Mangler is a bit pricy imo. Would go for more of the other stuff. Shamans, cave squigs and Spears. Fanatics if you can afford. 

Guess that bigger blobs of 60 is great, but find them hard to manover. 

For my upcoming 2000p ill probably spam shamans and monster squigs. Mabye bring my vortex for easier character snipe. 

But if you dont like a challange. Its not for you. The winning games dont come easy. 

But when your the underdog and comes out on top it feels even greater. 

• 1 month later...

This is the list I'm currently building towards. Let me know what you all think!

Allegiance: Destruction
Grot Warboss (120)
- General
- Moon Prodder & Giant Cave Squig
- Artefact: Battered Talisman
Grot Warboss On Great Cave Squig (120)
- Moon Cutta & Git Shield
Fungoid Cave-Shaman (80)
Moonclan Grot Shaman (80)

60 x Moonclan Grots (360)
- Pokin Spears & Moon Shields
- x9 nets