Today's Tournament In Pasdadena, CA, USA

Bone Shrapnel

14 players today for the WU:SS tournament at Game Empire in Pasadena, CA. Top 3 were Ironjawz. Ironjawz again, and Garrek's Reavers. 3 rounds, tournament rules from the Winter Support Doc. So far we have 3 stores with sizeable SS tournament groups and a few more where it's being played in the greater Los Angeles area. The game is doing well in Southern California.

Top 3 decks:

1st place Ironjawz
Objectives:
Biggest an da Best
Call of the Waaagh!
Dere's More of Us
Get Da Boss
Good Scrap
Punch-Up
Too Dumb to Die
Annihilation
Conquest
Denial 
Victorious Duel
Brawl

All power cards:
Crush and Cleave
Unkillable
Waaagh!
Healing Potion
Great Fortitude
Great Speed 
Great Strength
Daemonic Weapon
Legendary Swiftness
Total Offence
'Ard Head
'Avin a Good Time
Brutal But Kunnin
Gorkamorka's Blessing
Kunnin but Brutal
Leadin by Example
More Choppin
Sidestep
Sprint
Distarction

2nd place Ironjawz deck
Objectives:
Punch-Up
Ploymaster
Call of the Waaagh!
Swift Advance
'Ard as Iron
Dere's More of Us
Biggest and da Best
Dead Kunnin
Too Dumb to Die
Contained
Good Scrap
Victorious Duel

Ploys:
Kunnin but Brutal
Healing Potion
'Avin a Good Time
Mighty Swing
Shattering Terrain
Leadin by Example
Gorkamorka's Blessing
Deafening Blow
Distraction
Brutal but Kunnin

Upgrades:
Great Strength
Crush and Cleave
Unkillable
Daemonic Weapon
Brutal Swing
Great Speed 
Flickering Image
Dead 'Ard
Cursed Artifact
'Ard Head

3rd place Reaver's deck
Objectives:
Hold Objective 1-5
Supremacy
Divide and Conquer
Blood for the Blood God
It Begins
Let the Blood Flow
Khorne Cares Not
Denial

Ploys:
Fueled by Slaughter 
Duel of Wits
Khorne Calls
Blood Offering
On Your Feet
Insensate 
Illusory Fighter
Mighty Swing
Sidestep
Distraction

Upgrades:
Helpful Whispers
Bloodslick
Soultrap
Grisly Trophy
Whirlwind of Death
Great Strength
Great Fortitude
Berserk Charge
Frenzy
Total Offence

It's mostly my instinctive reaction to reading statements like "nobody uses Sepulchral Guard".  I definitely respect the number of reps you've got in, but I don't believe that this 14 person tournament and your games with your girlfriend represent a conclusive dataset from which to draw such absolute conclusions.

I suspect my opinion on this is shared by others as well (and btw, I play ppl other than my gf), but unless they chime in,  I can't say for sure.  Indications in the other thread are that I may be on to something.

Maybe new cards will change the dynamic and give undead some better options. Fingers crossed!

The field is still pretty small. It's definitely subject to "local patterns" too. I played a 6 man "tournament" at a store I had never been to before 2 weeks ago, one of those 5 guys that play against each other all the time things, 4 Stormcast, 1 Reavers, 1 Ironjawz. Stormcast won that. A month ago at one of the sizeable tournament groups I mentioned in the top post around half of the 13 players took Guard, 1 guy had Orruks. I took 4th with Steelheart's but IIRC another Steelheart player won. Honestly in that one there were a bunch of guys that had 5 or less games under their belt and they were fodder. Generally speaking orruks have the easiest learning curve and are tough right out of the gate. 

4 hours ago, Bone Shrapnel said:

Generally speaking orruks have the easiest learning curve and are tough right out of the gate. 

I eagerly wait for the game to settle a bit more. It's still all new and not everyone bought it at release.
I think you are right in that orruks (and also Steelheart) are the easiest to get into. But I consistently beat my noob friends with Reavers.
I think it's only a matter of all the "poor" players getting a bit better and learning how to play the more fragile warbands.

That's not to say the orruks won't emerge as the better warband in time - but at this moment I'm not convinced. 

I'll definitely agree that Orruks are the easiest to pick up and play, but I think they're among the stronger warbands for the same reason. They're easy to play because everything in their Power and Objective decks are built around going forward and fighting. Their statlines as well are good at that - Shield defense, 4+ wounds, good to great offense. Altogether it meshes very well to make an experience that is easy to pull off - but also, because the way the cards are set up, they're scoring notable Glory that way as well. 

Meanwhile, Khorne have similar cards but lesser statlines, so they do the same plays but riskier and need to plan their moves much more carefully.

I'm not saying Objective play that Sepulchral Guard and Stormcast do is terribly difficult, but it does generally require more planning and forethought than running forward and hitting things. 

There is of course a difference between a good Orruk player and a bad one - choosing the right engagements, positioning correctly, and controlling your opponent's movements are the tools you need to go from tight wins to huge wins, but I think the floor for the warband is generally higher than it is for others. That doesn't necessarily mean the ceiling is, though, so I think top tables Shadespire will look very different from beginner games.

43 minutes ago, Requizen said:

I think the floor for the warband is generally higher than it is for others. That doesn't necessarily mean the ceiling is, though, so I think top tables Shadespire will look very different from beginner games.

This accurately describes my thoughts ;)

So most of our Claim the City Podcast group went down to this tournament to play.  Two of them brought Orks and two brought Supulcheral Guard.  The Guard players went 2-1 one losing to the other one and the other losing by a glory or two to Orks off of a misplay.

All in all I think most of what people are saying is true in regards to having a good high floor and that leading them to perform better in tournaments.  Ultimately though I think that it really comes down to player skill.  We have an episode on the tournament that is being uploaded to itunes by the end of the month so if you want to hear thoughts directly from the players who played in the tournament you will get the opportunity. =)

Archived