'Competitive' Ironjawz

Malakithe

On 4.05.2017 at 7:11 PM, BunkhouseBuster said:

Apparently, the guy who played this Sylvaneth army is nearly undefeated with this list at the local GW.  So when everyone saw that I had defeated him, they all gave me a loud Waaagh! to celebrate.  That was the best part of the day :)

Sincere congrats m8! I had similar experience a week ago, on a local event. We have played 1500 pts. GH game of "Gifts from Heaven". I had:

Megaboss ToP
Weirdnob ToP
Warchanter
10 x brutes with general
5x brutes
10x ard boyz
6x gore gruntas
Ironfist

Sylvaneth:

Branchwych
Treelord Ancient
Durthu
10 x Dryads
5 x Spite-Revenants
5 x Spite-Revenants
3 x Kurnoth Hunters-bows
there was some "wizard" also, (Loremaster?) and he was a part of a battalion. I can't recall what it was though...

Turn one, and I had woods all over the place. One time when I played this guy he moped me up turn 2, and I have a vivid memory of how my brutes could not do a dent on the "tree-dude". He had two of those now; +2 save, heal, stomp, ignoring rend <1; those were some of the things these behemots were capable of.

I advanced a little and with a lack of any viable tactics in my head I tried the "noob trap" :) with my weirdnob. I was close to terrain with +1 to cast. Foot went beautifully with a great "WOOOOOOOSH" :). Durthu got 9 wounds in that turn. Ardboyz engaged him, and my 10 brutes went for the other tree. Next turn seen another "Foot" killing Durthu and putting few mortals on Ancient. Brutes finished him off moments later. That was turn 2, and pretty much a game, although we played till turn 5 to get points and such. In the end he was left only with Branchwych.

I do understand this was not a "clean&strategic" victory, more of lucky one. Still seeing Sylvaneth beaten by IronJawz gives me pleasure all the time, that is why I am shearing this with you :D.

Overall I did rather ok in the event, ending up 4th.

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7 maj 2017 at 8:24 AM, Berdysz said:

Sincere congrats m8! I had similar experience a week ago, on a local event. We have played 1500 pts. GH game of "Gifts from Heaven". I had:

Megaboss ToP
Weirdnob ToP
Warchanter
10 x brutes with general
5x brutes
10x ard boyz
6x gore gruntas
Ironfist

Sylvaneth:

Branchwych
Treelord Ancient
Durthu
10 x Dryads
5 x Spite-Revenants
5 x Spite-Revenants
3 x Kurnoth Hunters-bows
there was some "wizard" also, (Loremaster?) and he was a part of a battalion. I can't recall what it was though...

Turn one, and I had woods all over the place. One time when I played this guy he moped me up turn 2, and I have a vivid memory of how my brutes could not do a dent on the "tree-dude". He had two of those now; +2 save, heal, stomp, ignoring rend <1; those were some of the things these behemots were capable of.

I advanced a little and with a lack of any viable tactics in my head I tried the "noob trap" :) with my weirdnob. I was close to terrain with +1 to cast. Foot went beautifully with a great "WOOOOOOOSH" :). Durthu got 9 wounds in that turn. Ardboyz engaged him, and my 10 brutes went for the other tree. Next turn seen another "Foot" killing Durthu and putting few mortals on Ancient. Brutes finished him off moments later. That was turn 2, and pretty much a game, although we played till turn 5 to get points and such. In the end he was left only with Branchwych.

I do understand this was not a "clean&strategic" victory, more of lucky one. Still seeing Sylvaneth beaten by IronJawz gives me pleasure all the time, that is why I am shearing this with you :D.

Overall I did rather ok in the event, ending up 4th.

PLayed a large tournament with my mixed list last weekend and got two games against sylvaneths. Both lists had, 2 large trees, one with sword the other caster, 9 khurnoths, 20 dryads, formations with order wizard and something more. Won both games only becuase I went for double turn and charged the sword tree with my stonehorn and barely killed it off both games, one of the guys made one of the worst save rolls ever made. Rest of my army couldnt make a dent towards the trees, 2+ rerol 1s ignore rend 1. Also had 30 arrowboys and 10 brutes in my list. Realy feeling like destruction struggles and it worries me that GH2 will focus alot on nerfing destruction. Will the destruction alliance even be playable in competetive tournaments after GH2. Lets hope they drop the Ironjaws with ALOT if they are gonne price out the BCRs.

GUYZ!

I'm actually in the final game of my local league. Last game was against Tzeentch, final game will be against .... SURPRISE ... Tzeentch. I know his list and it sucks balls. 

It's something like

• Tzaangor Shaman
  • Ogroid Thaumaturge
  • 10 Tzaangors (Battleline)
  • 10 Tzaangors (Battleline)
  • 3 Tzaangor Enlightened
  • 3 Tzaangor Skyfires

Any suggestions how to deal with it?

My list is one of the typical Jawz 1k lists

• Megaboss
  • Warchanter
  • 10 Brutes JGHs
  • 5 Brutes
  • 10 Ardboyz
  • Ironfist

I cannot change the list but I can change artifacts.

I usually don't take the Talisman for the Megaboss but against Tzeetch he always gets sniped out quickly so I will give it to him this time.

Arghhh! Lost my post! Let's try again...

Congrats @Anaticula!

Well done on making the final. Nice match up as well. You can write some disgusting Disciples of Tzeentch lists at 1,000 points, but that isn't one of them!

Do you know which battleplan you are playing? Does he have a battalion?

If you are able to tailor for each game, then Talisman on both heroes is a must as you say. Go with the Brute Big Boss in the unit of 10 as your General and probably go for Ravager, just to help you get stuck in quickly.

Make sure you are careful to not stick too many units into combat at once though as you want to be striking first in all instances. The only exception is against the Enlightened.

I think you've got this mate!

When is the game? Good luck B|

(sorry, was more detailed first time around!)

I agree with @Chris Tomlin, that is certainly not the worst Tzeentch list that you can make. Be wary of the Tzaangor units, 10 of those ****** are just as strong in combat as 5 Brutes. Use your Ardboys to screen some his units off from your Brutes, so that you can always fight on favorable terms. I also think that Ravager is good for this one. I don't think ToP is mandatory at all in this matchup though - 3 Skyfires deal on average 1.3 mortal wounds per shooting phase when a Shaman is nearby. ToP is nice on the Warchanter, but Battle Brew is still solid on the Megaboss.

9 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I don't think ToP is mandatory at all in this matchup though - 3 Skyfires deal on average 1.3 mortal wounds per shooting phase when a Shaman is nearby. ToP is nice on the Warchanter, but Battle Brew is still solid on the Megaboss.

Don't forget the two wizards and the Tzaangor banners. Whilst we can't be sure on the spells he will select, I would expect him to be able to dish out enough each phase to reliably take down the Megaboss. It's another reason @Anaticula will need his Brute Big Boss as his General, otherwise once the Megaboss goes down his opponent will start forcing some battleshock tests on the bigger unit (we have to presume his opponent has a vague idea of what he's doing! ;))

The Tzaangor will pack a punch in combat, but are much less of a threat as 10's.

I played recently against this (1500 pkt) :

Tzaangor Shaman
Gaunt Summoner
10 x pink horrors
20 x Tzaangors
20 x Kairic Acolytes
3x Tzaangor Skyfires
3x Tzaangor Skyfires
3 x screamers

There was also a batallion, dont remeber which one.

With my list being:
Megaboss ToP
Weirdnob ToP
Warchanter
10 x brutes with general
5x brutes
10x ard boyz
6x gore gruntas
Ironfist

It was three places of power, so having theree heroes gave ma an advantage straight away. Megaboss took middle objective, which was in a tower. He heald it till the end of the game, whitstanding all the "mortal" and normal fire.

On the left flank I got some nice dice rolls in turn one. My 'pigs' got 6 and then 6 again for destruction and Ironfist, so I rolled over Kairic Acolytes killing them all in turn one. Later on gruntas engaged 3 skyfires and Gaunt and pretty much held them in place for the rest of the game, while warchanter took the left objective.

Right flank got mine Ardboyz blocking Tzaanagors, and holding off against their charge (with mystic shield) rather well. Eventually my boyz were killed, but not before my 10 MegaBrutes arrived and killed all Tzaanagors along with Screamers which came to the rescue :). My Weirdnob was holding this objective, he died eventually. Sniped by skyfires and Tzaanagor Shaman, but he scored some points too, and in the end it was may Major.

On 12.5.2017 at 11:53 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

Arghhh! Lost my post! Let's try again...

Congrats @Anaticula!

Well done on making the final. Nice match up as well. You can write some disgusting Disciples of Tzeentch lists at 1,000 points, but that isn't one of them!

Do you know which battleplan you are playing? Does he have a battalion?

If you are able to tailor for each game, then Talisman on both heroes is a must as you say. Go with the Brute Big Boss in the unit of 10 as your General and probably go for Ravager, just to help you get stuck in quickly.

Make sure you are careful to not stick too many units into combat at once though as you want to be striking first in all instances. The only exception is against the Enlightened.

I think you've got this mate!

When is the game? Good luck B|

(sorry, was more detailed first time around!)

Sorry for coming back to this so late. Also, this is my second try. :( 

About the questions...

The battleplan will be decided before the game via a dice. So no way to prepare for that. I am not sure if he is playing a batallion, Honestly, I just have a rough idea about his list. Also, I'm not sure about the Tzangor Shaman. Do they come on discs? I am sure his wizard is on a disc. I'll have to ask more people...

On 12.5.2017 at 1:25 PM, Solaris said:

I agree with @Chris Tomlin, that is certainly not the worst Tzeentch list that you can make. Be wary of the Tzaangor units, 10 of those ****** are just as strong in combat as 5 Brutes. Use your Ardboys to screen some his units off from your Brutes, so that you can always fight on favorable terms. I also think that Ravager is good for this one. I don't think ToP is mandatory at all in this matchup though - 3 Skyfires deal on average 1.3 mortal wounds per shooting phase when a Shaman is nearby. ToP is nice on the Warchanter, but Battle Brew is still solid on the Megaboss.

The thing is that the MEgaboss has this big "shoot at me first" sign on his forehead. :(

So you'd say key will be to split up his army and take out the biggest threats? My question would be: which ones are these? I'd go for the Ogroid first, he can be such a ******.

On 12.5.2017 at 1:41 PM, Chris Tomlin said:

Don't forget the two wizards and the Tzaangor banners. Whilst we can't be sure on the spells he will select, I would expect him to be able to dish out enough each phase to reliably take down the Megaboss. It's another reason @Anaticula will need his Brute Big Boss as his General, otherwise once the Megaboss goes down his opponent will start forcing some battleshock tests on the bigger unit (we have to presume his opponent has a vague idea of what he's doing! ;))

The Tzaangor will pack a punch in combat, but are much less of a threat as 10's.

I will have to ask if I can swap general. If so I will definitely make the Brute Boss my general. 

To be honest I'm quite scared of the Tzaangors. They hit hard. I would like to take out his Ogroid T soon, but I assume he will position him pretty well covered. So if I rush at him I will probably be taken out by everything else around.

I am considering using a more defensive strategy so that he has to come closer.

@Anaticula I'm not sure you have the luxury of playing defensive since he has the range advantage. It also depends on the scenario - in some of them you have no choice but to bum rush forward. What I mean is to control his options by using your Ardboys as a screen. The more damage he has to put into them before getting to the Brutes, the better. In contrast to your list, he has no expendable units which gives you a maneuvering advantage. This is further accentuated by the speed of your army. The key to winning the fight will lie in tarpitting as much as possible of his army for as long as possible with your Ardboys, so that your Brutes and Megaboss can mop the rest up in the meantime. Making the Brute Boss your general should put less of a target on your Megaboss' head.

24 minutes ago, Anaticula said:

I am considering using a more defensive strategy so that he has to come closer.

I do not see how that would result in anything other than you getting shot and magicked off unfortunately :( 

If you allow him the time to whittle your units down, then his units of 10 Tzaangor will be able to perform a thorough mop up operation.

Take the fight to him!

(Oh, the Ogroid will go down like a sack of ****** to Brutes if you can get stuck in)

Must second what more people have said. Most often the situation demands you to play the brutes offensive as the enemy most likely got the upperhand in ranged attackes. Sitting still will only cost you wounds and models. I must say I like this. Not much fuzz about em. Fast forward and into combat asap. This should almost always be your main tactic :)

Hi guys I tried to build two lists of pure ironjawz but finally I can't choose the way to play at 1500pts:

1)

Maw 520

Chanter 80

Weirdnob 120

10 ardboyz 180

10 ardboyz 180

5 brutes 180

3 gruntas

Ironfist 60

2)

Megaboss 140

Chanter 80

Weirdnob 120 (or another Megaboss?)

10 ardboyz 180

10 ardboyz 180

10 brutes 360

3 gruntas 180

3 gruntas 180

Ironfist 60

Can you help me to decide?? :)

The central point is the mawcrusha yes or no...

10 hours ago, Torquemada said:

Hi guys I tried to build two lists of pure ironjawz but finally I can't choose the way to play at 1500pts:

1)

Maw 520

Chanter 80

Weirdnob 120

10 ardboyz 180

10 ardboyz 180

5 brutes 180

3 gruntas

Ironfist 60

2)

Megaboss 140

Chanter 80

Weirdnob 120 (or another Megaboss?)

10 ardboyz 180

10 ardboyz 180

10 brutes 360

3 gruntas 180

3 gruntas 180

Ironfist 60

Can you help me to decide?? :)

The central point is the mawcrusha yes or no...

The only time I'd go no-Maw now is if I'm maxing out with Brutes. He provides both the threat and smash we need, only counterbalanced by a decent presence of Brutes.

At 1.5K I'd go list 1, with a slight tweak (swapping out the 2nd Ardboy unit for an extra Brute unit):

Maw 520

Chanter 80

Weirdnob 120

10 ardboyz 180

5 brutes 180

5 brutes 180

3 gruntas 180

Ironfist 60

Am going to a 700 point tournament on the bank holiday monday.

Planning to take an ironjawz list of:

Megaboss

Warchanter

Shaman

2 x 5 Brutes

Think I would rather have a bunch of Ardboyz instead of a unit of brutes (but dont have the models).

Plan is to attempt to cast Foot of Gork every turn. Will be updating twitter with a live counter of the number of successful casts. Surely it should go off at least once?!

20 hours ago, Caffran101 said:

Am going to a 700 point tournament on the bank holiday monday.

Planning to take an ironjawz list of:

Megaboss

Warchanter

Shaman

2 x 5 Brutes

Think I would rather have a bunch of Ardboyz instead of a unit of brutes (but dont have the models).

Plan is to attempt to cast Foot of Gork every turn. Will be updating twitter with a live counter of the number of successful casts. Surely it should go off at least once?!

I'm going as well fella so if you want to borrow some Ardboyz then Da Ghostwulfz are always up for a fight (in fact I can provide the whole list for you if you like!) 

my idea currently is 

Black Orruk Big boss 100

3 x 5 brutes 540

Ironfist

or 

Tyrant 160

3 x 3 Ogors 360

Gargant 180

=700

because I haven't taken my ogors or Bojangles the Giant out for a game for ages! 

5 hours ago, Sangfroid said:

I'm going as well fella so if you want to borrow some Ardboyz then Da Ghostwulfz are always up for a fight (in fact I can provide the whole list for you if you like!) 

my idea currently is 

Black Orruk Big boss 100

3 x 5 brutes 540

Ironfist

or 

Tyrant 160

3 x 3 Ogors 360

Gargant 180

=700

because I haven't taken my ogors or Bojangles the Giant out for a game for ages! 

I need to paint a brute, the shaman and the warchanter for this event (and quite enjoy having a deadline to paint to).

I dont mind taking 2 x 5 man brute squads. Could be fun!

However, I may take you up on the offer though - will give you a message on Twitter / Whatsapp - thats if the Ghostwulfz dont mind some new 'ummie telling them what to do!

So based on skirmish the points for gruntas may drop to 140? Even if this is based on an early play test for ghb2 it certainly indicates we will get a price reduction to 160. Would 140 be enough to make us competitive? I have painted 9 gruntas and want to use them! But I'm not sure that 9 gruntas and a weird nob is better than 15 brutes...

Archived