Archaon Tzeentch list

Towenaar

I've been thinking of a competitive way to use Archaon, I think the Tzeentch Arcanites tomb is vital to guarantee some dice roles, but I think other summoned units are needed for some good combo's

Leaders
Archaon (700)
- General
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Lord Of Change (300)
- Artefact: Phantasmal Weapons
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm

Gaunt Summoner (120)
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond

Battleline
40 x Chaos Marauders (200)
- Axes & Shields
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
10 x Pink Horrors Of Tzeentch (120)
- Lore of Change: Arcane Transformation
- Lore of Change: Bolt of Tzeentch

Gaunt summoner hides in the Marauder squad with treacherous bond, gives them inspiring presence. Shield of fate and mystic shield should keep Archaon alive, the Horrors can support and buff the heroes, with the artifact and an Arcane transformation the LOC is decent in combat if needed. This leaves 440 points for summoning, it makes it pretty versatile but some good options I was thinking:

6x Plague Drones (440)

kept close to Archaon to keep him from being swarmed using their large base size, they deal mortal wounds on sixes, and return models on a 1-3 battlshock roll thanks to the crown of domination, so are near impossible to kill

Or if the enemy has a lot of heroes

Wrath of Khorne Bloodthirster (330)

10 x Bloodletters (110)

the bloodthirster can trigger his command ability to almost guarantee a charge when summoned. Or even better, buff his whip attack with Arcane Transformation, he can now deal a potential of 12 (!) damage with it

Or just loads of Daemonettes to counter Bloodletter hordes. Just thought I'd share as I hadn't thought of some of the ways Archaon could be used.

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
Archaon (700)
- General
- Lore of Fate: Treacherous Bond
- Lore of Change: Arcane Transformation
Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (120)
- Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch
- Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm
Chaos Sorcerer Lord (160)
- Runestaff
- Mark of Chaos: Tzeentch
- Lore of Fate: Shield of Fate
Magister (120)
- Lore of Fate: Infusion Arcanum

Battleline
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
5 x Chaos Marauder Horsemen (90)
- Javelin & Shield
- Slaves to Darkness Battleline
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
10 x Chaos Marauders (60)
- Axes
10 x Kairic Acolytes (100)
10 x Kairic Acolytes (100)

Units
3 x Varanguard (300)
- Fellspear
- 3x Fellspears
- Allies

Battalions
Fatesworn Warband (100)

Reinforcement Points (0)

Total: 2000 / 2000
Allies: 300 / 400

51 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Varanguard tag teaming with Archaon is pretty brutal- with him on the board they each become mini hero characters in their own right  +1 to hit and reroll charges is no joke

I run gorepilgrims and suck in an enemy unit with blood blind.  The varangaurd on the charge are 2+/2+/-2/2 with felspears.  12 attacks if the bloodsecrator is up.

Against a 4+ save.

graph.php?q=r:226:12:1:m000;r:324:12:1:m

And if you charge some 5+ infantry  It's like 12 to 18 wounds

Not to mention the threat of once per game pile in and attack twice.  Can probably kill anything except a 2+ rerolling ones.
But if they have something on 2+ rerolling 1's that needs to die, just take it off with slayer of kings autokill which goes off 40% of the time when buffed with +1 to wound!

Only problem with gore pilgrims list is bodies.  Gotta play smart and herd them to the slaughter.

I've had a bit of success with the following Tzeentch archaon list;

Allegiance: Tzeentch Leaders

Archaon (700)

- Lore of Fate : Treacherous Bond

Lord Of Change (300) - General

- Command Trait : Arch Sorcerer

- Artefact : Wellspring of Arcane Might

- Lore of Change : Fold Reality

Tzaangor Shaman (160)

- Lore of Fate : Shield of Fate

Units

- Lore of Change : Unchecked Mutation

9 x Tzaangor Skyfires (600)

10 x Chaos Marauders (60)

-Axes & Shields

- Damned Icon

- Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch

10 x Chaos Marauders (60)

-Axes & Shields

- Damned Icon

- Mark of Chaos : Tzeentch

Total: 2000/ 2000 Points

On 11/10/2017 at 7:36 PM, Nico said:

Archaon can only adjust the Battleshock by exactly 2, not up to 2, so rolls of 1 and 3 become happy 1s for your icons.

Still a good combo.

I did wonder this, thanks for confirming.

Varanguard are awesome with Archaon, the lists with the smaller units do look interesting. Thanks for the feedback!

Every time I use Archaon I find that he barely moves. Players swamp his landing   zone with a big group of models and then he just gets tied up. He needs a strong support unit to help clear off large models so he can try to get at big models or other characters that he can insta-kill with the destiny dice. 

It may just be me but I find the Slayer of kings almost certainly misses with one attack, will miss with one wound, and at -1 rend you have a very good chance of doing absolutely nothing. It's somewhat depressing when you see a whole bunch of Fyreslayers running around with possibly a minus 2 rend axe ?

Is a 700 points model that doesn't go beyond -1 rend. In combat he is simply ridicolous, bounces off everything. Also i find really awkward that the heads of dorghar deals less damage than a khorgie's claws. Or a hammer. 

Imho to be a good character we need extra rend on claws and slayer of kings and buffs damage from heads to d3.

Archived