quick rules question

CanHammer-darren

1 crit cancel 1 crit

1 crit cancel 1+ sucesses

So you roll 1 crit defending and he rolls 1 crit and 1 success attacking, you cancel crit with crit but there is still a success so he deals damage.

However as critical was cancelled you don't deal the extra damage from the crit (because of the rule of that specified fighter)

Hope this clears it.

36 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

if attacker rolls a success, and a crit.  And i roll a crit for defense.  Do i still take the damage from the 1 normal success since my crit cancels his crit?

You actually thake damage as if it was a Critical hit. This last part is clarified in the FAQ.

Check the page 20 box Critical Successes and add with FAQ:

Page 20 – Critical Successes Add the following sentence to the end of the last paragraph in this box: ‘If the Attack action succeeds, it also results in a critical hit.

So the notion that criticals cancel out criticals isn't true for the outcome, but it is true for checking the rolled results.

I have a question/clarification. When a ploy card says:

"On the first Attack action of the next activation"

We have played that as the next activation, regardless of WHOSE activation it is. That means you have to play a card that buffs a friendly fighter's Attack in the power phase of the preceding activation (i.e. opponent in two player game). If you play it in the power phase of your own activation, the next activation will be an opponent's, so it's unlikely (impossible) the first Attack will be your own.

The rules are quite clear about clearing cards at the end of the activation so this is the only way that makes sense to us.

On 11/6/2017 at 3:57 PM, Wallack said:

However as critical was cancelled you don't deal the extra damage from the crit (because of the rule of that specified fighter)

Crit damage only applies to Attack actions with a "rule" for Crit damage, right? Not all Attack actions can add extra damage, right?

2 minutes ago, dtw said:

I have a question/clarification. When a ploy card says:

"On the first Attack action of the next activation"

We have played that as the next activation, regardless of WHOSE activation it is. That means you have to play a card that buffs a friendly fighter's Attack in the power phase of the preceding activation (i.e. opponent in two player game). If you play it in the power phase of your own activation, the next activation will be an opponent's, so it's unlikely (impossible) the first Attack will be your own.

The rules are quite clear about clearing cards at the end of the activation so this is the only way that makes sense to us.

You played it correctly. It makes some cards good in duality of use aswell.

Sidestep for example can also be good offensively and defensively.  

Just now, dtw said:

Crit damage only applies to Attack actions with a "rule" for Crit damage, right? Not all Attack actions can add extra damage, right?

That's correct. Not all Critical Results actually do something that a regular Result couldn't. But it matters for quite a few fighters. Noteworthy:
- Arnulf
- Basha
- Hakka
From the top of my mind there are also some Upgrades who have better results with Criticals. Such as Shardglass or Lightning Sword (for Steelheart). 

3 minutes ago, CanHammer-darren said:

ok, so a card that says "next activation" will almost always affect your opponents turn then? unless you do it at the end of the phase leading into the next round? 

A card that will affect the next activation will affect the next activation, (not just the activation of the player playing any card).  

Say you finished your Activation, then you go to play Power cards, then if one of those will affect the next Activation it will indeed affect the Activation of your opponent.

1 hour ago, CanHammer-darren said:

so if you play a ploy that says next activation as the final action before the endphase, does it stick around til next round?

It essentially does. It will affect the next following activation. This could be yours or your opponent's. 

E.g. You normally don't want to play Stormforged Resistance or Blood Offering in the Power phase that occurs after your own finished Activation. However there could be (come) certain Upgrades or Reactions which might give you a reason to still do so. 

17 minutes ago, Attackmack said:

Afaik no reaction card takes effect in "the next activation".

What Stormcast Tactics does is add a Reaction to models in the next Activation. This is also a card you wouldn't want to play in the Power phase just after your Activation.

Other than that though, it's on a card by card basis, part of learning the game is understanding when to use which cards and reconize scenario's that put you in a disadvantage before they happen.

Shardfall is an example of an amazing card that rewards this when played well. To the extreme even. Thinking ahead gets the most rewards. 

Archived