Carrying case for ironjawz

Adeeb

Hey everyone,

As my ironjawz collection grows, I'm starting to realize that I can't just use a shoe box to carry my models around anymore. What do you use to transport your models? I could see ard boys easily fitting into foam trays but do gore gruntas fit? What about the maw krusha? 

I have the same issue. The big and pointy models just don't fit in the foam tray-shelf things. A bunch of mine broke in transit. Considering using the box with foam trays for the smaller models (including cavalry but lay down on side), and put the big monsters in some seperate boxes of some sort... big tupperware boxes with foam lining? 

2 hours ago, Niltzsche said:

Got the same problem with my beastclaws. Someone gave me the tip to buy a metal box that is big enough (like a big cookiebox) or a plastic box and glue in some metal and glue magnets under the bases

What glue is suitable for this?

I use the GW Crusade case, and that can handle all the smaller stuff up to bigger stuff like my Gargant, and also Gruntas just fine. I don't have a Mawkrusha, though, so I'm not sure how well that would fit.

Since I got the GW "zigzag-foam" cases, I have stopped using/buying pluck-foam, as I think the zigzag is simply better and more flexible, which means I can use the same foam for many different models. Never the less I'm always on the lookout for an even better solution, so do please provide some links, if you find some really good to solve this issue.

15 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

I use the GW Crusade case, and that can handle all the smaller stuff up to bigger stuff like my Gargant, and also Gruntas just fine. I don't have a Mawkrusha, though, so I'm not sure how well that would fit.

Since I got the GW "zigzag-foam" cases, I have stopped using/buying pluck-foam, as I think the zigzag is simply better and more flexible, which means I can use the same foam for many different models. Never the less I'm always on the lookout for an even better solution, so do please provide some links, if you find some really good to solve this issue.

I use the bigger box of that ilk, I think, with the same zigzag foam. It works great unless you go above the foam 'ceiling' in any way, and things get crushed. There is a double-depth section but i find it's still too small for the big models. Might try putting upstanding cavalry in it perhaps. 

I'm not smart enough for magnet solutions. Considering buying an actual pet carry case for my giant spiders. 

22 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

I use the bigger box of that ilk, I think, with the same zigzag foam. It works great unless you go above the foam 'ceiling' in any way, and things get crushed. There is a double-depth section but i find it's still too small for the big models. Might try putting upstanding cavalry in it perhaps. 

I'm not smart enough for magnet solutions. Considering buying an actual pet carry case for my giant spiders. 

My Gargant is lying down in the bottom layer without the insert, but the Gruntas can be put in standing up just fine, in my experiences.

Still I think getting a pet carrier for your Arachnarok sounds like a pretty fun idea :-)

Hey guys for me I bought some "really useful boxes" with some adhesive magnetic sheets that you can cut and size on the bottom of the plastic bin. All of that with some 8x2 rare earth magnets you can super glue underneath the models bases should do the trick. Smaller bases 2 magnets should be fine with the larger bases maybe 3+ magnets.

2 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Check Safe and Sound - hard paper boxes with pluck foam - their Monster size box is big enough to carry 3x BCR Stonehorns and a Megaboss on Cabbage without height problems. Also you can switch foams inside to get 4x "slots" foam tray for example

Just had a look at their website, very interesting!  Do you know if the Monster tray fits into their bags?

You can easily calculate how much boxes of with kind you can fit into there. One monster box is 3x standard box size. Small bag is designed to fit 4 boxes, medium 6 and big one 10. I do use them and I love them - both the standard "slots" trays and those big ones that you can pull to your liking. Boxes alone are sturdy and, for a cardboard, very durable. After a year of using they are still almost as good as new.

46 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

You can easily calculate how much boxes of with kind you can fit into there. One monster box is 3x standard box size. Small bag is designed to fit 4 boxes, medium 6 and big one 10. I do use them and I love them - both the standard "slots" trays and those big ones that you can pull to your liking. Boxes alone are sturdy and, for a cardboard, very durable. After a year of using they are still almost as good as new.

3 hours ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Check Safe and Sound - hard paper boxes with pluck foam - their Monster size box is big enough to carry 3x BCR Stonehorns and a Megaboss on Cabbage without height problems. Also you can switch foams inside to get 4x "slots" foam tray for example

These boxes seem great, and better value than other suff I've seen. 

Only issue I see is box height; an arachnarok with howdah is too tall for these it seems. 

5 minutes ago, Sheriff said:

These boxes seem great, and better value than other suff I've seen. 

Only issue I see is box height; an arachnarok with howdah is too tall for these it seems. 

Can't say how Arachnarok would fit into there - never saw this model. But Monster Box is Huge. Stonehorn's seat (highest point of the model) goes as far as 1/3 of the second foam so there is still a lot of space.

For the price/quality point, it's a hit. Sure, those are not plastic boxes but hard waxed cardboard so prices is tremendously lower than alternatives and without bags, they are clunky to carry since they don't have any handles but bags are waterproof and surprisingly comfortable (so far I'm still not a hunchback and I do travel a lot with them)

4 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Can't say how Arachnarok would fit into there - never saw this model. But Monster Box is Huge. Stonehorn's seat (highest point of the model) goes as far as 1/3 of the second foam so there is still a lot of space.

For the price/quality point, it's a hit. Sure, those are not plastic boxes but hard waxed cardboard so prices is tremendously lower than alternatives and without bags, they are clunky to carry since they don't have any handles but bags are waterproof and surprisingly comfortable (so far I'm still not a hunchback and I do travel a lot with them)

Just measured the arachnarok and its 6 inches tall (with a very fragile top). This box is 6.5 inches tall, so with foam inside I'm guessing not quite tall enough... 

I'll buy one regardless as it'll still be useful for other models, thanks for the tip.

1 hour ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Thanks for that...I think what confused me is that in the stated dimensions for the MEGA bag itself, they flip between mm (which is also used for the boxes) to cm without telling you (they only state cm):

• Internal dimensions: 280x420x55 cm.

I understand now how it fits in...the Monster box is the same length and width as the ones shown in there, but deeper.  I might get some of these, they look great.

Yep, there are two "kinds" of boxes - regular, that came in various depths and foam combination (pluck off one or trays) and Black boxes that are smaller, more oriented towards skirmish games.

Same goes for bags - they can hold various "units" of boxes (like I've mentioned above - one monster box is 3 regular ones)

36 minutes ago, RoyalDachshund said:

Do you mean this box? https://www.safeandsound.pl/en_GB/p/Monster-BOX-raster-136-mm/130

Did you store the Stonehorn upright or laid down? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

Magnetising a Really Useful Box is the only way I transport my models nowadays. Crazy to think of the money I used to spend on Battlefoam etc (If anyone really prefers case, I do have Battlefoam 720 I'm trying to offload!!).

I think that the 18l box is my preferred choice off the top of my head. Fits anything you'd need for a 2,000pt Ironjawz army with plenty of space without being too cumbersome to transport. You can also get black ones if you're on public transport and don't want people seeing your toys! ;) 

I think ages ago I said about doing a guide for making one of these transport ready with pics and links etc...I should probably do that at some point!

On ‎01‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:41 PM, Sheriff said:

While we're at it, anyone recommend a good glass display case?

The basic ones from Ikea are great for £50 or whatever they are. I have 3 of them now.

11 minutes ago, Chris Tomlin said:

Hey,

Magnetising a Really Useful Box is the only way I transport my models nowadays. Crazy to think of the money I used to spend on Battlefoam etc (If anyone really prefers case, I do have Battlefoam 720 I'm trying to offload!!).

I think that the 18l box is my preferred choice off the top of my head. Fits anything you'd need for a 2,000pt Ironjawz army with plenty of space without being too cumbersome to transport. You can also get black ones if you're on public transport and don't want people seeing your toys! ;) 

I think ages ago I said about doing a guide for making one of these transport ready with pics and links etc...I should probably do that at some point!

The basic ones from Ikea are great for £50 or whatever they are. I have 3 of them now.

Nice one. I'll stick with foam for now as I'm already invested. Will research magnets further. 

For the arachnarok i bought a tall biscuit tin that I'll pad out appropriately. 

Archived