Deck List Discussion

Elodin

True to the title, I thought it’d be fun to discuss what archetype you’ve made with your deck, including the cards you put in and your logic behind those choices. 

For example, my Garrek’s Reavers deck consists of: 

Objectives: 

1 Glory: 

• It Begins
  • Blood for the Blood God
  • Hold Objective 1
  • Hold Objective 2
  • Hold Objective 5
  • Coward!
  • A Worthy Skull

2 Glory:

• Let the Blood Flow
  • Khorne Cares Not

3 Glory:

• Denial 

5 Glory:

• Annihilation 

6 Glory: 

• Khorne’s Champion 

Power Cards:

Ploys:

• Khorne Calls
  • Rebirth in Blood
  • Blood Offering 
  • Sidestep 
  • Fueled by Slaughter
  • Skulls for the Skull Throne!
  • Blood Rain 
  • Confusion 
  • Desecrate
  • Final Blow

Upgrades:

• Frenzy 
  • Great Strength
  • Deadly Spin (Targor)
  • Wicked Blade (Arnulf)
  • Great Fortitude 
  • Blood Slick (Garrek)
  • Unstoppable Charge (Saek)
  • Great Speed
  • Whirlwind of Death (Karsus)
  • Berserk Charge (Saek) 

The purpose behind this deck is to aim for causing as much bloodshed as possible, both among the enemy warband and my own. Because of this, I eschew many defensive cards (taking only Blood Rain, Bloodslick and Great Fortitude, which will be useful for keeping the chosen champion alive) and focus on offensive, aggressive objectives. 

Specifically, my objectives are split into a few categories: Easy to Score, Ultimate Goal, and Contingency Plan. 

The 1 Glory Objectives are easy to complete and allow quick upgrades to help bolster the forces. 

The Ultimate Goal objectives, Annihilation and Khorne’s Champion, are big, risky objectives that I tried to build the deck around. Cards like Blood Offering, Rebirth in Blood, Final Blow, etc. feed into that goal.

Finally, the Contingency Plan objectives are there for when things go wrong. Khorne Cares Not and Denial can be scored even if the entire warband is wiped out, and the Hold Objective Cards provide some variety/back up when things go south.

For the ploys, I tried to find options that would work well with my goals (Rebirth in Blood and Khorne’s Champion are obvious, but if it ever gets pulled off it’ll be so cool). 

Since movement is such a strong aspect of the Bloodreaver’s game (and a powerful component of Shadespire in general) I included numerous movement focused ploys to help the Reavers keep their enemies in an advantageous position. 

That’s about all I feel like writing for now, but if you want to share your own deck lists (or comment on this one) feel free to do so. 

I've not had chance to have a proper look at all of the cards yet, but why just a few on the Hold Objective ones? Personally I would drop them all or have them all in. At the moment with the Blood Reavers, my thinking is not to have any hold objective cards as I think that is more difficult for them to get due to being dependant on what Objectives you have in your part of the board for early points. I think you would be better with the easier ones to get such as "Charge Three times" and similar aggressive ones.

My initial planning also involved removing some objective cards, while strong they are very inconsistent between objective placement and being pushed off them before you could score them. The cherry on top being that they're only worth one glory although you only need a couple for some clutch upgrades.

My thinking for removing some of the objective based cards would let you play around that, if your deck didn't have #2 then you can take that into account while positioning during the game and also building your action deck. Maybe you don't need to include Sprint because you only have capture 3, 4, & 5 so in the game you stick close to these and never need a 10 square move to hop over to them.

In brawls involving 3 and 4 warbands I would always include all 5 capture cards because you need glory without risking your precious fighters after all there's double or triple the opposition and you have little blood to bleed. There are of course more objectives placed too.

4 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

I've not had chance to have a proper look at all of the cards yet, but why just a few on the Hold Objective ones? Personally I would drop them all or have them all in. At the moment with the Blood Reavers, my thinking is not to have any hold objective cards as I think that is more difficult for them to get due to being dependant on what Objectives you have in your part of the board for early points. I think you would be better with the easier ones to get such as "Charge Three times" and similar aggressive ones.

The purpose behind three instead of 5 is to include other, more aggression minded objectives in my deck. Since two Objectives (minimum) will be placed by your opponent, often in difficult to acquire situations, I took the risk of not getting the objectives I need in order to avoid being guaranteed less “dead” Cards when the game has swung into full on aggression mode. 

4 hours ago, gorthorbeastlord said:

My initial planning also involved removing some objective cards, while strong they are very inconsistent between objective placement and being pushed off them before you could score them. The cherry on top being that they're only worth one glory although you only need a couple for some clutch upgrades.

My thinking for removing some of the objective based cards would let you play around that, if your deck didn't have #2 then you can take that into account while positioning during the game and also building your action deck. Maybe you don't need to include Sprint because you only have capture 3, 4, & 5 so in the game you stick close to these and never need a 10 square move to hop over to them.

In brawls involving 3 and 4 warbands I would always include all 5 capture cards because you need glory without risking your precious fighters after all there's double or triple the opposition and you have little blood to bleed. There are of course more objectives placed too.

Sprint was, surprisingly, more of an escape tool/guaranteed support movement/conquest move. It is one of the first cards that’ll be put on the chopping block, but since movement is so powerful, and being able to potentially move 10 hexes seemed so strong, I figured I’d try it out and see how well it could work. 

4 minutes ago, Elodin said:

The purpose behind three instead of 5 is to include other, more aggression minded objectives in my deck. Since two Objectives (minimum) will be placed by your opponent, often in difficult to acquire situations, I took the risk of not getting the objectives I need in order to avoid being guaranteed less “dead” Cards when the game has swung into full on aggression mode. 

Okay I can see your thinking but personally I would have them all or none. I don't think with the Khorne Boys you can do a halfway house with these as you will be either discarding them or holding onto to them to score in later game giving up the chance to score other easier points

3 hours ago, Gaz Taylor said:

Okay I can see your thinking but personally I would have them all or none. I don't think with the Khorne Boys you can do a halfway house with these as you will be either discarding them or holding onto to them to score in later game giving up the chance to score other easier points

I'd agree with this.  If we could determine what objectives we were placing then having just three in the deck would work quite well, but having just a few may well mean you get two in your opponents territory and one (or none) in your own.

Be interesting to see how it plays out for you over a dozen or so games.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd agree with this.  If we could determine what objectives we were placing then having just three in the deck would work quite well, but having just a few may well mean you get two in your opponents territory and one (or none) in your own.

yeah but like I said, when the objectives flip and they're in your opponent's zone then you start thinking about how you're going to move into their zone to capture them

I don't think anyone will ever cut sidestep or confusion though, with only 12 actions available free movement seems really valuable

6 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

That's (theoretically) what the other easy scoring objectives are for. When the Hold Objective X works out in my favor, great, extra advantage, but when not, I'm still able to score multiple easy objectives to get the upgrades rolling. Still, I'm interested in seeing the common consensus among Shadespire players as the community grows.

I've put together a fairly aggressive stormcast build that I find works pretty well so far.

OBJECTIVES:

1 GLORY:

• Lightning Strikes
  • Slayers of Tyrants
  • Seize Ground
  • Awe-Inspiring
  • Sigmar's Bulwark
  • Consecrated Area

2 GLORY:

• Conquest

3 GLORY:

• Supremacy
  • Cleanse
  • Denial
  • Eternals

5 GLORY:

• Annihilation

POWER CARDS:

PLOYS:

• Righteous Zeal
  • Tireless Assault
  • Valiant Attack
  • Peal of thunder
  • Undaunted
  • Confusion
  • Sidestep
  • Healing Potion
  • Sigmarite Wall
  • Stormforged Tactics

UPGRADES:

• Great Fortitude
  • Blessed by Sigmar
  • Great Strength
  • Total Offense
  • Shield Bash (Brightshield)
  • Fatal Riposte(Steelheart)
  • Disengage
  • Lightning Blade(Steelheart)
  • Lightning Blast(Obryn)
  • Great Speed

My plan is pretty straightforward, I try to place as many objectives in my opponents board half as possible so I can give him less incentive to come into my half and more incentive for me to assault him in his half. I place my fighters as far forward as possible at the beginning of the game, utilizing ploys to keep my band together as much as possible.

On 10/24/2017 at 10:51 PM, ReynakZhen said:

I'll be looking to replace  Supremacy, Eternals and Sigmar's Bulwark objectives once I get my hands on the two new factions as those three objects are not likely to be achievable with my more aggressive tactics

I think it’s looking pretty good. Sadly until more cards come out there’s not a lot of variety for deck archetypes. 

On 24-10-2017 at 7:42 AM, Elodin said:

True to the title, I thought it’d be fun to discuss what archetype you’ve made with your deck, including the cards you put in and your logic behind those choices. 
For example, my Garrek’s Reavers deck consists of: 

Objectives: 
1 Glory: 

• It Begins
  • Blood for the Blood God
  • Hold Objective 1
  • Hold Objective 2
  • Hold Objective 5
  • Coward!
  • A Worthy Skull
    2 Glory:
  • Let the Blood Flow
  • Khorne Cares Not
    3 Glory:
  • Denial 
    5 Glory:
  • Annihilation 
    6 Glory: 
  • Khorne’s Champion 

Power Cards:
Ploys:

• Khorne Calls
  • Rebirth in Blood
  • Blood Offering 
  • Sidestep 
  • Fueled by Slaughter
  • Skulls for the Skull Throne!
  • Blood Rain 
  • Confusion 
  • Desecrate
  • Final Blow

Upgrades:

• Frenzy 
  • Great Strength
  • Deadly Spin (Targor)
  • Wicked Blade (Arnulf)
  • Great Fortitude 
  • Blood Slick (Garrek)
  • Unstoppable Charge (Saek)
  • Great Speed
  • Whirlwind of Death (Karsus)
  • Berserk Charge (Saek) 

The purpose behind this deck is to aim for causing as much bloodshed as possible, both among the enemy warband and my own. Because of this, I eschew many defensive cards (taking only Blood Rain, Bloodslick and Great Fortitude, which will be useful for keeping the chosen champion alive) and focus on offensive, aggressive objectives. 

Specifically, my objectives are split into a few categories: Easy to Score, Ultimate Goal, and Contingency Plan. 
The 1 Glory Objectives are easy to complete and allow quick upgrades to help bolster the forces. 

The Ultimate Goal objectives, Annihilation and Khorne’s Champion, are big, risky objectives that I tried to build the deck around. Cards like Blood Offering, Rebirth in Blood, Final Blow, etc. feed into that goal.

Finally, the Contingency Plan objectives are there for when things go wrong. Khorne Cares Not and Denial can be scored even if the entire warband is wiped out, and the Hold Objective Cards provide some variety/back up when things go south.

For the ploys, I tried to find options that would work well with my goals (Rebirth in Blood and Khorne’s Champion are obvious, but if it ever gets pulled off it’ll be so cool). 

Since movement is such a strong aspect of the Bloodreaver’s game (and a powerful component of Shadespire in general) I included numerous movement focused ploys to help the Reavers keep their enemies in an advantageous position. 

That’s about all I feel like writing for now, but if you want to share your own deck lists (or comment on this one) feel free to do so. 

In terms of deck construction I always look at the Power cards first because they are the tools to obtain the Glory from Objective cards. With this in mind, here's my thoughts on your above deck:
- To too am a firm believer of having all Hold Objective cards or none, this in between makes it far too inconsistent. Currently I have not found any reason to cut all the Hold Objective cards as they are essential for any deck in the first turn. Having them means you obtain maximum Deployment freedom. Heavier Hold Objective hands from the start mean defensive Deployment is rewarded.
- Don't like Coward! Can't forsee any opponent doing this soon either against Bloodreavers. Barring Garrek all Bloodreavers are quite killable. Why Move before Attacking?
- To me Annihilation and Khorne's Champion serve the exact same purpose, be interesting in the third phase. Before that all occurs though you need to be ahead in the game ideally, so for me it's one of either. Khorne's Champion wins for me because if your 2 guys ahead and the opponent's team is destroyed you've allready won, regardless of either Annihilation or Khorne's Champion.
If I where you I'd cut Coward and Annihilation for Holding Objective 3 and 4.

In regards to the Power cards:
- I'm not a fan of Desecrate, even less so if you don't have the Hold Objective cards to have a reason to be on a Objective in the first place.
What I'd certainly add here instead is Shardfall. It's offense and defence at the same time. Long story short it gives you some form of board control and Shardfall does everything you want for either defensive (block space) and offensive purposes (drive back into blocked space). 

- Great Speed is something all our fighters allready have, especially once Inspired. To me this card is not good for Bloodreavers period.
- Deadly Spin is fun but 1 damage isn't going to kill much/anybody.
I personally like Terrifying Howl for several reasons, one of which is to open a spot for assist-kills and another one is the simple efficiency of board manipulation. Pushing opponents who moved in general is a very powerful tactic. I'd say more powerful as Deadly Spin. In addition I like Total Offence more and more, it's growing on me because I feel Garrek (Inspired), Karsus and Saek can really use it extremely well as it increases the chance of dealing damage by so much. 
Total Offence, like Sprint is much more difficult to defend if you do not have 'spare' fighters. If you do however I believe that Total Offence is great for Bloodreavers in that it allows you to be significant in phase 2 or 3 because sometimes a guaranteed kill is all you need. This applies more for Garrek's Reavers as Stormcast, by large because of A Worthy Skull, Khorne Cares Not, Khorne's Champion or Annihilation.

On 24-10-2017 at 2:44 PM, Elodin said:

Sprint was, surprisingly, more of an escape tool/guaranteed support movement/conquest move. It is one of the first cards that’ll be put on the chopping block, but since movement is so powerful, and being able to potentially move 10 hexes seemed so strong, I figured I’d try it out and see how well it could work. 

I think Sprint becomes very great (guaranteed Glory) the moment you keep Hold Objective 1 to 5 in there. It becomes much less relevant if you start cutting in the Hold Objective options. To me Supremacy feels like Hold Objective A to C and Conquest D and E. So far I believe every Warband who has a model spare can get a lot out of Sprint, especially Bloodreavers because 10 hexes movements are strong. Surviving is often just as important if not more as simple killing.

On 25-10-2017 at 4:37 AM, ReynakZhen said:

My plan is pretty straightforward, I try to place as many objectives in my opponents board half as possible so I can give him less incentive to come into my half and more incentive for me to assault him in his half. I place my fighters as far forward as possible at the beginning of the game, utilizing ploys to keep my band together as much as possible.

Very interesting, let me know how it pans out. I kind of like it but do not know if your capable of having enough board pressure like this.

To me Stormcast are dangerous when they have an upgrade, if your warband cant score on Objectives and you place all Objectives on your opponents side I have feeling youll be running behind too fast. Standing still is a valid option but you have no Hold Objective insentive at all. This can mess with your opponents mind but not for too long if you simply dont score.

5 hours ago, Killax said:

Very interesting, let me know how it pans out. I kind of like it but do not know if your capable of having enough board pressure like this.

To me Stormcast are dangerous when they have an upgrade, if your warband cant score on Objectives and you place all Objectives on your opponents side I have feeling youll be running behind too fast. Standing still is a valid option but you have no Hold Objective insentive at all. This can mess with your opponents mind but not for too long if you simply dont score.

Yeah, I've actually found that putting atleast 2 objectives  in my board half near the no man's land serve me better to complete my objectives. I played last night and would have done great except my opponent rolled an insane amount of criticals both on offense and defense. Kind of messed up my mojo! lol.

Here's an updated list after looking through the two new sets. I'm trying to slim it back down to a 20 card power deck (i'm at 28 cards currently) but, i'm agonizing over what to keep/remove. guess i'll fine tune it after today's gaming.

OBJECTIVES:

1 GLORY:

• Lightning Strikes
  • Slayers of Tyrants
  • Seize Ground
  • Awe-Inspiring
  • Swift Advance
  • Consecrated Area
  • Plant a Standard

2 GLORY:

• Conquest
  • Victorious Duel

3 GLORY:

• Contained
  • Denial

5 GLORY:

• Annihilation

POWER CARDS:

PLOYS:

• Righteous Zeal
  • Tireless Assault
  • Valiant Attack
  • Peal of thunder
  • Parry
  • Confusion
  • Sidestep
  • Healing Potion
  • Sigmarite Wall
  • Stormforged Tactics
  • Triumphant Roar
  • Cruel Taunt
  • Duel of Wits
  • Trust to Luck

UPGRADES:

• Great Fortitude
  • Blessed by Sigmar
  • Great Strength
  • Total Offense
  • Shield Bash (Brightshield)
  • Fatal Riposte(Steelheart)
  • Disengage
  • Katophrane's Plate
  • Soultrap
  • Cursed Artefact
  • Katophrane's Belt
  • Swift Strike
  • Army of One
  • Flickering Image

I'm going for a stormcast force that is very aggressive and goes after the enemy rather than waiting for them to come to me. I've included a fair amount of 'free' movement power cards to offset the stormcast's slow base movement. Cards such as Sidestep, Swift Strike, Disengage, Flickering Image, Confusion and Stormforged Tactics will enable me (I hope) to keep the pressure on my opponent by getting in his face quickly and staying there.

For those who want to know, the Sepulchral guard deck who win the Blood and Glory tornament this week end :

Ploys
    73 Rentless Dead
    69 Ceasless Attacks
    320 Duel of Wits
    76 Terrifying Screams
    360 sidestep
    70 clawing hands
    315 Daylight roberry
    68 bone sharpnel
    77 the necromancer command
    318 distratction

Upgrades
    83 frightening speed
    80 deathly charge
    84 grim cleave
    402 legendary swiftness
    391 great strengh
    382 daemonic weapon
    85 Lethal Lunge
    87 undying
    81 fatal stike
    414 shadowglass sword

Objectives
    63 more able bodies
    305 victorious duel
    292 Sumperamacy
    282 Ploymaster
    65 Skills Unforgotten
    291 Superiror tactician
    59 Battle without end
    62 march of the dead
    253 denial
    254 detemined defender
    259 flawless strategy
    250 crushing force

i made the list from what i see in warhammer Tv so i can have made a mistake but think it's correct

Archived