Painting demotivation - the impossibility of finishing your models

Niltzsche

Hey folks,

I am currently suffering from a hobby block. It is not that I can't paint but more that I can't finish my models. Right now a 4 Ogor unit of Mournfang Riders waits to have the Metal and last Details painted but I can't get myself to finally finishing them. It feels like everytime I finish painting a detail another one shows up, I overpainted something, paint starts to wear of on certain parts where I touch the model... So basicly I've got the feeling that they never will be finished which leads to this strong demotivation to paint them. I don't want to start another unit of different models, since I most likely will get the same effect with them.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? And how did you get over it?

I think everyone goes through ups and downs like that. Sometimes painting feels like a huge chore and other times I can't wait to get plugging away as soon as I wake up.

I tend to go back and forth between armies I'm actually trying to do a good, detailed job on and speed-painted armies. Sometimes I just want to half-watch videos while drybrushing/washing a whole army, and other times I actually want to work hard. It helps keep me painting  and producing during those periods "real painting" seems like a chore.

I have experienced something akin to this problem.  For me I enjoy painting in the initial stages, the base coating, washing and blending.  However, the final detail work always tends to drag on for me.  My best advise is to just knuckle down and finish one model.  Once I am completely done with something, even just one model, the sense of accomplishment revives my hobby juices a bit and helps me keep going.  I have found this really helps me actually finish stuff and not leave a bunch of projects 90% done.

Out of sight is out of mind, so reduce the size of the task in front of you. :)

If you have a backlog of 50 models put everything away except 5 or 6 (actually out them away physically!), then make that your project and don't think about the rest. Once you get to the final details stage reduce it to 2 models and go back and forth between them until done. Smaller areas often don't overlap and since they're small they dry quickly anyway so you can do lots of different details in succession. Use a wet palette if you can, as this speed things up a lot especially when swapping between colours.

Your mileage may vary but this kind of divide and conquer approach works well for me, I was terrible for dragging my heels before because the size of the task in front of me was overwhelming...

If you find you're rubbing paint off it might be a good idea to mount your models on wine corks or similar as that can be quite demotivating and time-consuming.

Once you get a few models finished you'll begin to feel the good of it and quickly find the enthusiasm to continue. You can do it, best of luck! :)

I made a spreadsheet of all of my models, stats, points costs, and counts. I made two columns, one of # painted and # unpainted. Each time I finish something (single model, a batch, or a unit), I update the spreadsheet and bask in the warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment.

My spreadsheet currently reads:

• # Painted: 996
  • # Unpainted: 31

This seems to be motivational for me anyway...

Anymore, I find it a matter of stress is my main cause of losing motivation to paint.  If everything is going great (my in-laws don't call, work is easy, dishes done, etc) then I can get lots of painting time in on my models.  However, if things aren't going good (my in-laws remember we exist, money troubles, et al) then I struggle to find motivation to get anything done.  At this point, I'm excited to get to spend time on Warhammer in any way that getting an hour or two to paint is a treat.

That said, my biggest problem is a lack of time!  In the past 9 months, I have only painted in the past 3 weeks or so.  My free time is basically gone anymore between home and house problems, work and the commute required, dealing with the baby, and trying to keep my wife and step-daughter happy and healthy and fed.  Like, this past few weeks, I have had work problems, house problems, pest problems, and family problems.  Between the stress of these issues even existing and the time it takes to deal with them, I just lose out on time for myself anymore.  Things were good last month when stuff started to settle down, but they are picking back up again.  Blargh!

3 hours ago, Gothnomicon said:

I made a spreadsheet of all of my models, stats, points costs, and counts. I made two columns, one of # painted and # unpainted. Each time I finish something (single model, a batch, or a unit), I update the spreadsheet and bask in the warm fuzzy feeling of accomplishment.

My spreadsheet currently reads:

• # Painted: 996
  • # Unpainted: 31

This seems to be motivational for me anyway...

I just started doing that myself recently.  It really does help one realize just how many models one has, and helps give that feeling of done-ness for an army.  I did add in columns for assembled and based as well for more accuracy.

On 20.10.2017 at 5:24 PM, Tommy said:

Out of sight is out of mind, so reduce the size of the task in front of you. :)

If you have a backlog of 50 models put everything away except 5 or 6 (actually out them away physically!), then make that your project and don't think about the rest. Once you get to the final details stage reduce it to 2 models and go back and forth between them until done. Smaller areas often don't overlap and since they're small they dry quickly anyway so you can do lots of different details in succession. Use a wet palette if you can, as this speed things up a lot especially when swapping between colours.

I guess I am going to try this.

Maybe combined with a checklist for the following models to collect and cross out every step of painting I have to do (and already did).

1 hour ago, Tomir said:

I agree with everything said here. Im in the exact same place tbh. 

But i have lile 30 done models

250 to go ??

Oh I know that feeling to well. I used to play horde armies (undead and tyranids) and did at some point quit them in favor of more elite armies. Having a to do list consiting of more than 100 models is just to much for me. (That in mind I still got an eye on the bonesplittaz because I really like their style)

I know this sounds ridiculously obvious, but from the sounds of your original post, half the problem is you seem to be touching the model  a bunch and paint is wearing off? that demotivates you? so you could always just varnish the model right after you finish so once its done.. its done,

Or if the issue is you're touching the model while you paint it.. you can always pin the bottom of the foot/base to something you can hold onto easily while you work on it.
For example, im super lazy?  i just clip excess plastic sprue the model came on, glue it to the bottom of the foot prior priming, so i can use it like a handle, once done painting you snap off the excess sprue, do a once over with a hobby knife the bottom of the foot, so its nice and flat again and its ready to be based.

I think um, just painting the same thing over and over can get super dull also, what I try to do is reward yourself every so often between troops,  and maybe a single HQ unit or whatever thats a one off model, something more interesting that you'd have more fun painting. Then go back to the basic troops once you're a bit more happy.

Also it sounds like you suffer from the same thing as a lot of painters, that you go overboard detailing rank and file and it just draaaaags on, i've actually no idea how to solve this one actually as I suffer the same affliction. Sadly.

Lots of good advice and suggestions here already!  Everybody gets demotivated for different reasons, it's the infamous "Hobby Wobble" and take solace in that at some point the vast majority of us had it at least once.

It sounds like you're having to handle you mournfang in order to paint them which results in you rubbing details off.  Normally I'd say to attach the model onto some kind of handle so you don't need to touch it, but cavalry sized models are a pain because of their size.  I had exactly the same issues when painting a Skull Canon last year.  Because of the size of it, I had to paint it off the base (and to a certain extent in sub assemblies) so was constantly getting finger prints everywhere and rubbing off my highlights.  The first step I took was to wear a vinyl glove on my left hand (the one I hold the model with).  This reduces some of the rub off (your hands are actually quite abrasive and greasy) and I found meant that I didn't grip it quite as tightly.

Next up I would apply a light layer of matt varnish at regular points to just give it a little more protection, it won't stop rub off, but certainly reduces it.  I'd do it when I finished a particular item, so get the underbelly painted and varnish it.  Work inside out, start with the items you know you're not going to touch and work towards the extremities, horns and similar should be the absolute last point and at this point you can likely glue the model onto it's base because you've accessed all of the hidden areas.

What are you aiming to paint up as your next model?  I'd suggest going for something that's infantry sized that you can attach to a cork or similar device to hold - possibly something entirely random which will give you a bit of a break too.

4 hours ago, RuneBrush said:

The first step I took was to wear a vinyl glove on my left hand (the one I hold the model with).  This reduces some of the rub off (your hands are actually quite abrasive and greasy) and I found meant that I didn't grip it quite as tightly.

[...]

What are you aiming to paint up as your next model?  I'd suggest going for something that's infantry sized that you can attach to a cork or similar device to hold - possibly something entirely random which will give you a bit of a break too.

Great to hear that a vinyl glove helps. I was wondering if it could reduce the wear of since you'll lose the grip and grease of the fingertips.

I am not quite sure what to paint next. I've got several Ironjawz who I want to speedpaint. Maybe I'll go with them. On the other hand I really want some progress on my beastclaws. Having less painted figures in the army than most of my opponents here is frustrating.

For now I guess I'll shift in the Shadespire minis. I am super stoked for the game and want to get a friend in it with nicely painted models.

Archived