Devoted of Sigmar

SentinelGuy

Their heroes are pretty cool. I've played the Excelsior Warpriest and Witch Hunter quite a bit. The former is a decent allied healer for any order faction, and the Witch Hunter, though squishy, can deal a lot of damage against caster-heavy or daemon armies if you have some way to protect him. The War Altar looks fun, but I've never seen it played before.

I think their main problem is that their best stuff affects other Devoted of Sigmar, but they only have one non-hero unit, flagellants, and (in my opinion) those are pretty terrible.  That said, now that they get discounts for playing a full unit 40, you may be able to get decent usage out of blocks of 40 with prayer buffs on them from the Altar and Warpriest.

I keep hoping that they'll expand the faction with how important Sigmar is. Just adding a decent infantry unit would make them a lot better. But it seems they think the Stormcast Eternals represent him well enough so far.

ive got a stockpile waiting for a book. i havr played them in a couple of 1k games and they were fun. banishment coming off of the war alter ia no joke against a chaos army either.

really the force ia missing some pieces to be really good. they are in the fluff books, so i think we might see a new release and battle tome for them eventually.

I think it was @RuneBrush that had a really decent project on the go with like a bizillion flagelants?

But yeah the model range is limited, and if the war alter wasn't so expensive would make a cool looking allied contingent. Decent to add to Stormcast though as Objective holders with a Warpriest though. Lots of bodies!

9 minutes ago, Nubgan said:

I think it was @RuneBrush that had a really decent project on the go with like a bizillion flagelants?

But yeah the model range is limited, and if the war alter wasn't so expensive would make a cool looking allied contingent. Decent to add to Stormcast though as Objective holders with a Warpriest though. Lots of bodies!

I'd be tempted to run the Vanguard-Raptors With Hurricane Crossbows & Aetherwings from the back, and shoot like hell while the Flagellants charge like crazy

On 9/4/2017 at 8:54 PM, Paul Conti said:

ive got a stockpile waiting for a book. i havr played them in a couple of 1k games and they were fun. banishment coming off of the war alter ia no joke against a chaos army either.

really the force ia missing some pieces to be really good. they are in the fluff books, so i think we might see a new release and battle tome for them eventually.

I am in the exact same boat.  I have a War Alter, 5 boxes of Flagellants and all the resin warrior priests new in box just waiting for some love.  I was planning on making a warrior priest themed Empire army when the old world blew up and have been just waiting for a Devoted of Sigmar tome to motivate me to break these bad boys out.  Maybe with the new allies rules I can make a Devoted Army and ally in some converted Stormcast.  

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, MrCharisma said:

So I just picked up another 40 flagellants today, bringing my grand total up to 130!

Now I need to find a General for the Devoted of Sigmar.

Man this warms my heart. I love the Flagellent kit, one of my favorite kits of all time.  As soon as they do something with the Devoted of Sigmar my 80 or so 'bananas in pajamas' will be tearing it up.

1 hour ago, TheWilddog said:

Man this warms my heart. I love the Flagellent kit, one of my favorite kits of all time.  As soon as they do something with the Devoted of Sigmar my 80 or so 'bananas in pajamas' will be tearing it up.

You sound like an Australian... am I right?!

16 minutes ago, Yeled said:

I could see them being used a lot as allies if GW would make their abilities affect Order instead of only Devoted of Sigmar.

I think they are a couple of points too expensive to run a Massive Regiment with a War Alter, which is an ideal build. 

Yeah, cool concept, but I think let down by the lack of units. Would love to see Fanatical Militia and Knights Templar models to flesh out the faction a bit more.

I think a fluffy and perhaps one trick pony list would be a Battleshock bomb. Could run something like

2x War Altar

2x Warrior Priest

Witch Hunter

Celestant Prime

3x40 Fanatics

2x10 Fanatics

You get one turn of Glory when the Celestant Prime divebombs from the sky to save Sigmars children. The War Altars horns obviously heralding his call and a mighty neg 4 bravery to all enemies within range of all 3. The problem of course, is you have to make sure you're setup to do damage the turn the Celestant Prime comes down. Your Flaggellants could be pretty beat up by turn 3 (The likely turn the Celstant Prime makes his dive from the sky).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2017 at 4:56 PM, GammaMage said:

Have you thought about running an Excelsior Warpriest?

I have thought about it. I'm running an Excelsior Warpriest with a Gryph-hound next weekend at a doubles tournament. Let's see how that goes.

I'm going to steal a sneaky trick from Byron at the Warhammer GT Final and include an Eldrich Council Archmage with a Baldwind. It'll be so beautiful with the War Alter stack

Let me know how it does! I mostly have Darkling Covens units, but gonna eventually build up a mixed Anvilgard force, so probably will play a couple of Devoted units. What do you mean by 'the War Alter stack'? The altar doesn't seem to do anything for non-Devoted units.

10 hours ago, GammaMage said:

Let me know how it does! I mostly have Darkling Covens units, but gonna eventually build up a mixed Anvilgard force, so probably will play a couple of Devoted units. What do you mean by 'the War Alter stack'? The altar doesn't seem to do anything for non-Devoted units.

Sorry, I mean that the War Alters will give a 6+ ward save to the Devoted units, while the Archmage will give me a 6+ ward save for models within 18"/36" (depending on balewind). I'll be essentially gaining 2x6+'s to help keep as many crazy flagellants alive before combat.

Archived