Lets Chat: Darkling Covens

GammaMage

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Lol i dunno, because they are riding about on fish and sea turtles?! I just think the "army" looks ridiculous. the sea shell armour, the helmets that look like a 1960's  biscuit tin, the guy with his pet octopus, the dude dangling off his water cloak. It all looks really dumb to me. It looks like it fell off a merry-go-round at sea world.

Some of the background does sound pretty cool from what I have heard - I listened to the Garagehammer review - but the aether sea? I'm not buying that at all. And them fleeing into the deep oceans where the light can't reach (and therefore the pressure is enough to crush pretty much anything). They bring the same wrecked ship everywhere with them? really? 

It doesn't matter if they have a really dark background if they look like a cartoon.. or if aspects of them are just too far fetched for me to be willing to suspend my disbelief. 

Its all just too much for my tastes. 

But hey, lots of people think think they are great so i'm glad that they are out there for all the people who wanted this sort of thing, I just don't like them myself.

I'll agree with you they are a bit fantastical (which is why I've decided to start darkling covens myself) but they make really cool conversion fodder at least for us :D 

Drakes 1.jpg

Drakes 5.jpg

@Rhivan Yeah I like the thralls and reavers well enough - though they look better with the executioner helms! Nice kitbash.

Have you done any with the black guard helms? 

I really like the Void Drummer from the sea turtle kit. I would like to get hold of one of those if they start showing up in bits sales.

@Morhgoz Yeah its difficult to guess much from the reveals so far. I'm not sold on the realm based magic if you have to be actually fighting in that realm to use it. I'm hoping its more like the winds of magic from Fantasy - otherwise its a bit dull if both sides are taking from the same spell lore, even if that might be the most balanced way to introduce it!

Arnizapals Black Horror and Word of Pain are the only Lore of Dark Magic spells they have ported over so far - If you don't count chillwind and blade wind from the old compendium. I suppose Doomfire is Doombolt by a different name too...

Back in the day when spell lores had 10 spells in them there was a Dark Magic spell called Witch Flight which was a "remove from play and set up anywhere spell" That would be sooo useful :)

22 hours ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

and possibly the models that I hate the most in their entire line.

watch the blood pressure man! I hope this is seriously exaggerated because they are little toy soldiers ;)  Personally like the fluff, think the models are not for me for the same reasons as you.  But to be fair to GW if it sells it's good design (from a business point of view of course). 

I like the extra spell options for DC, makes us feel like more of an complete army and a magic heavy army which it always felt like it should be with only wizard heroes. So will definitely dust them off once the new edition drops. And I agree with your comment on Word of pain, great spell. And with other options for multiple wizards... :D 

41 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

Back in the day when spell lores had 10 spells in them there was a Dark Magic spell called Witch Flight which was a "remove from play and set up anywhere spell" That would be sooo useful :)

they teased one! (move your opponent and set up)

51 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Right, that is dependent on the realm you're playing in.  We don' t know how this is going to affect matched play, or be factored into games.  As it stands now, you get to choose which realm and so does your opponent.  If there's a disagreement, you roll off.  I mean, it seems odd to balance an army around certain buffs/spells that you have to roll off for at the start of the game.

2 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yeah thats cool actually its like deep strike for lazy people :) but it has the advantage that you isolate the enemy unit near too your army rather than leaving one of your own units swinging in the wind near to theirs. Awesome spell.

I hope we get access to the realm spells by choosing an origin for the army  - so you could have Ashqy darkling covens or Ulgu darkling covens etc and get a choice of spells depending on where the army comes from.

53 minutes ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I hope we get access to the realm spells by choosing an origin for the army  - so you could have Ashqy darkling covens or Ulgu darkling covens etc and get a choice of spells depending on where the army comes from.

That would be much better! 

@Twitch of IzalithThe thralls and reavers are great for their legs and kitbashing potential. As for using the Black guard heads I have not. I don't really care for them and they have relatively stationary plumes on their heads which would make any dynamic cloth flying around (and the deepkin having a lot) just look off. So I have 20 (about to be 30) blackguard heads I'm just gonna be sitting around with.

4 hours ago, Kramer said:

watch the blood pressure man! I hope this is seriously exaggerated because they are little toy soldiers ;)  Personally like the fluff, think the models are not for me for the same reasons as you.  But to be fair to GW if it sells it's good design (from a business point of view of course). 

I like the extra spell options for DC, makes us feel like more of an complete army and a magic heavy army which it always felt like it should be with only wizard heroes. So will definitely dust them off once the new edition drops. And I agree with your comment on Word of pain, great spell. And with other options for multiple wizards... :D 

My blood pressure is fine.  I'm not exaggerating, I think they're hideous models.  

7 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

My blood pressure is fine.  I'm not exaggerating, I think they're hideous models.  

But still hate? Seems a bit strong but hey if those models are some of the worst things in your life, all the better ;) 

9 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

I love the conversions, but the base size is too large to be used as a Blackguard/Executioner conversion in competitions.

I did not know that. I just used the deepkin bases because it was either that or square.

5 hours ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

That would be much better! 

The core rules still regard bases as not being part of the model for now.

I get why they did it - because they still had a warehouse full of models with square bases! But that should be less now.

Its true most event packs have a "measurements are base to base" rule but I don't think many are including a rubric for what size base models sold with squares should appear on. Since larger bases actually make your units worse - particularly a unit of 30 black Guard - you may not have any problems fielding them. I would check with the TO beforehand though.

I think GW might finally provide some formal structure for basing in 2nd edition. 

I hope they do, but they have yet to repackage old factions unless it's something like the Anvilgard box. So you could buy a hydra and it still comes on rectangle. No idea if that's down to old stock just not selling yet, or they're still making those models and packaging with old bases. If they enforce a base change, you'd hope they provide the new bases for older factions when bought new. I know the made to order Dark Elves came on rounds, my Dreadlord is on a 32mm round. 

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

I get why they did it - because they still had a warehouse full of models with square bases! But that should be less now.

Its true most event packs have a "measurements are base to base" rule but I don't think many are including a rubric for what size base models sold with squares should appear on. Since larger bases actually make your units worse - particularly a unit of 30 black Guard - you may not have any problems fielding them. I would check with the TO beforehand though.

I think GW might finally provide some formal structure for basing in 2nd edition. 

True, but if you ever want to play events, it's not going to fly.  Every one I've been to has had you use the closest equivalent from square to round, and larger bases cover more area, and with a 2" reach you could wrap up more enemy units with it.

1 hour ago, Twitch of Izalith said:

1 hour ago, syph0n said:

I hope they do, but they have yet to repackage old factions unless it's something like the Anvilgard box. So you could buy a hydra and it still comes on rectangle. No idea if that's down to old stock just not selling yet, or they're still making those models and packaging with old bases. If they enforce a base change, you'd hope they provide the new bases for older factions when bought new. I know the made to order Dark Elves came on rounds, my Dreadlord is on a 32mm round. 

Yes, they have repackaged Bleakswords, etc. and they are on 25mm rounds in the Anvilgard boxes etc.

21 minutes ago, Black_Fortress_Immortal said:

Yes, they have repackaged Bleakswords, etc. and they are on 25mm rounds in the Anvilgard boxes etc.

Have they? I know about the City boxes / Made to Order (as I said), but I bought a Hydra from Warhammer World about 2 months ago and it was still on a rectangular base - the rest of the range looked like it came on squares/rectangles too.

2 hours ago, syph0n said:

Have they? I know about the City boxes / Made to Order (as I said), but I bought a Hydra from Warhammer World about 2 months ago and it was still on a rectangular base - the rest of the range looked like it came on squares/rectangles too.

Yes, in the city boxes they are on round bases for AoS.  They are 25mm, not 32mm.

Haha, I know. Crossed wires I think: the rest of the range is still on squares, even newer models like the plastic hydra. 

It's those that I think need re-boxing if they intend to make bases important to the rules. And I don't think they will, they're probably aware that most hobbyist will re-base them off their own backs for consistency. I'm getting mine cut now as it happens! 

15272585687511398164125.jpg.10d152bb53fc086592e34b0c742808fc.jpg

17 minutes ago, syph0n said:

Haha, I know. Crossed wires I think: the rest of the range is still on squares, even newer models like the plastic hydra. 

Even sent a mail about this when I got a Sorceress on Black Dragon. 'what round/oval base would you suggest?' The response.... 'the models are shipped with the suggested bases' haha 

So no, if there is a basing structure plan the customer service people don't know about it. 

25 minutes ago, Kramer said:

Even sent a mail about this when I got a Sorceress on Black Dragon. 'what round/oval base would you suggest?' The response.... 'the models are shipped with the suggested bases' haha 

So no, if there is a basing structure plan the customer service people don't know about it. 

I popped into Warhammer World on Sunday to get my Made to Order. They said it just doesn't matter, as long as it fits on. Took the hydra out of the display and put it on one of the oval bases. 120mm. The dragon he said just use the 120 as well, though a 100mm round would do. I really believe they don't have any plans, even for the Darkling Covens as the most fleshed out of the old aelves, to repackage. Not with having the Idoneth and Daughters as 'new' factions. 

23 hours ago, Kramer said:

But still hate? Seems a bit strong but hey if those models are some of the worst things in your life, all the better ;) 

Worst things in my life?  Your words, not mine.  I just hate the aesthetic of the models.  Sorry I triggered your tender sensibilities, but in my honest opinion, they're absolute ******.

Archived