Appropiate Playmat for AOS Skirmish in Shadespire

Darksider

So i really like Skirmish and i also like the setting of Shadespire, so i am interested what people use as tables, playmats etc for the shadespire setting.

I am also interested if you find this mats fitting for the setting:

Havoc-Desert-6x4-Gaming-Mat.jpg.7c0d45aeb6fef5c383075706b1773002.jpgSumpf-Spielmatte-Swamp-Skirmish.jpg.7de2f0b27fed0aa0876c1b5f95ac9370.jpg

I own both mats and i really like them for skirmish games, hope they also fit for a shadespire setting?

I'm still deciding on a playmat, but I really like GW's Soulblight one.  I may pick one up for skirmish.  I have the 40k one and I like the design and how it's made.  I also own a FAT mat for 40k and would recommend those.  For AoS, I'm still using my old GW fabric grass mat, but I am looking at UrbanMatz's Grassland.

As far as a table, a couple of years ago my son and I made one during spring break.  I built shelves on the base to store board games and terrain.  It's 6x4, sturdy, and built tall enough so you can play without bending over.  I use bar stools for chairs.  I even convinced my wife that I was making a dining room table.  Now, if I could only get rid of the china and use the hutch to store armies...

@Darksider, I think those mats are fine for Shadespire as described in the Skirmish book.

I'm not as big on the graveyard/mausoleum look of GWs skirmish mat or terrain. So, I've moved our Skirmish games to Chamon for now and use the Misty Mayhem mats by Mats by Mars.MISTY-MAYHEM_1024x1024.jpg?v=1476722355

Here's what it looks like on my table.

ch1-f81559a37abb9ac5e1035808d6d36d89.jpg

ch2-5a875d7227eccb839289e3981be4550f.jpg

Thank you both for the replies =).

Your gaming table with mat looks really good Mr. White.

I also tried to build a table like Redking, but i only made it out of Styrodur. 3 Plates made 6x4 table and i painted it grey so it looks a bit like a stoney plateau ;).

For outside of Shadespire, something Desert themed. Snowy isn't bad either, since the the idea of a desert is something where there is nothing living.

In Shadespire, either of the above or a city theme. Maybe the grassy one for an aside mission (the city was built on an oasis).

For skirmish, 4x4 is better for gaming, as 6x4 is a little too spread. But you can always section off two feet.

On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Mr. White said:

@Darksider, I think those mats are fine for Shadespire as described in the Skirmish book.

I'm not as big on the graveyard/mausoleum look of GWs skirmish mat or terrain. So, I've moved our Skirmish games to Chamon for now and use the Misty Mayhem mats by Mats by Mars.

I agree Mr. White - while GW's graveyard mat looks cool, I just don't feel it reflects Shadespire as described in the Skirmish book-though could be set in the outskirts.  It is/was a majestic city of towering spires (some glass) and had many races living within it's walls.  So, I am making my own buildings etc and will make it similar to Mordheim (so that I can use it when we get AoS Mordheim).  I'm using the pic below as architectural inspiration, but will incorporate some gothic elements.  I'm also roughly using the city map in the Skirmish book as inspiration.  I'll try to post a pic of the building I'm working on sometime this weekend.

But, as Shadespire is in a desert of bone, set within an oasis, I think you have lots of options for mats.  I'm going to go with a black sand desert and have complete and ruined buildings. I think the scrimshaw mines also give you the opportunity to use caves/tunnels (D&D card maps etc would work) or the Shadows of Hammerhal and similar cardstock maps.  Also, they used mirrors to travel around the city and observe, so having mirrors or "glass fountains" as objectives or scenic elements may be fun.

st__levin_by_alayna-dai3yut.jpg

On 8/19/2017 at 3:29 PM, Darksider said:

So i really like Skirmish and i also like the setting of Shadespire, so i am interested what people use as tables, playmats etc for the shadespire setting.

I am also interested if you find this mats fitting for the setting:

Havoc-Desert-6x4-Gaming-Mat.jpg.7c0d45aeb6fef5c383075706b1773002.jpgSumpf-Spielmatte-Swamp-Skirmish.jpg.7de2f0b27fed0aa0876c1b5f95ac9370.jpg

I own both mats and i really like them for skirmish games, hope they also fit for a shadespire setting?

@Darksider where is the mat on the right from?  That looks really cool.

13 hours ago, Redking said:

@Darksider where is the mat on the right from?  That looks really cool.

Think it's a krakenmat. It's called Swamp if it will help you.

11 hours ago, Sheriff said:

Misread and thought you wanted a playmate :(

Haha would also be cool, but i live in austria;)

@Mr. White That Misty Mayhem matt is really cool, I've never gotten a matt before, as they dont really appeal to me, but that is fantastic. I might have to treat myself, as it would suit my basing perfectly. I do a lot of winter stuff, and it would fit perfectly. I'd have to rebase or make some new trees, as they would stand out a bit, but otherwise is a perfect match!

Archived