Destruction Cities?

Gorks Pokin' Finger

In the next phase of my Ironjawz lore, I have my clan consolidating their base of operations at an abandoned Dwarf hold, turning into a city to serve as a staging point for their eventual Great WAAAGH!

We think of the forces of Destruction as roaming warbands and hordes that swarm place to place looking for fight, food, survival, something to do, laughs, or all of the above. While this is true for many members of the Destruction faction, there has to be a lull for Orcs, Goblins, Ogres and the lot where they are doing something else that doesn't involve lootin', fightin', and winning! A grot, for example, is probably spending more time away from the battlefield either plotting to backstab someone, perhaps building a wild contraption that could defy logic and work, or simply doing everything they can to avoid fighting and trying to survive.  An Ogre Gutbuster may be hunting, cooking or eating, or perhaps serve a bodyguard or even a trader. Regular Greenskinz could even fall under one or both categories.

We've seen signs of a Destruction-like society, like the Gargants battalion from the Godbeast Campaign Book

Some of my thoughts are also based on tidbits I have gathered from our 40k Ork brethren. If they can build rambunctious-yet-functional societies, why couldn't our AOS Orruk kin, as well as our Ogor and Grot friends?

I totally agree with this. I get tired of Destruction factions being portrayed as one-dimensional societies that do nothing but fight or wander round looking for the next fight.

I've always portrayed my Orruk Pirates (that are now Orruk Sky-Pirates!) as having bases in Destruction settlements of various sizes: those settlements are mostly (but not always) captured from Order factions but they will always be at least partially rebuilt by the pirates (normally using whatever materials they can find: shipwreck timbers, sailcloth and rigging for the most part!). I imagine semi-ruined buildings with a layer of shanty-town added all over them.

They spend a lot of time exploring the Realms and sailing over the dark Harrowmark forests looking for skyships to prey on. But the rest of the time they will need to carry out repairs to their flying galleons, eat and drink, trade for supplies, recover from injuries, swap news with other ships from the fleet, etc. While all those thing could be done in the wild, I find it more interesting if they have somewhere more permanent to do them.

I would like to think that we'll see some of this in the fluff going forward.  Basically I'm assuming that some of the Destruction factions will be a closer parody of humans, including their civilizations.  Grots and Greenskinz are my bet.

It existed in WHFB as well if one was willing to look close enough, such as Karak Eight Peaks, Iron Rock, Cooked Fang Fort, Deff Gorge, etc.  

My theory is that Ironjawz are simply an extension of Grimgor thematically, the wandering super-bashy avatar of Gork that never stops moving while looking for the next scrap.  Making Greenskinz ape humanity more with higher tech and civilization would be an effective contrast.

Moonclan probably will not change much from WHFB and could focus on subterranean, and my big wish-listing is that Grots become a foil for KO with nomadic sky forts that are centers of trade.  The nomadic trading goblin tribes in WHFB always seemed like a cool concept.  They were described as having "ramshackle, fortress-like caravans" and traded with all types of unsavory folk.  Such an awesome concept if the models didn't stink.  Take it up a notch by sticking them in the sky!

I agree whole heartedly. The fluff I have already written for my tribe focuses on them ruling a long ruined city in Ghur, with the different breeds of greenskin creating a natural caste system. They seem destructive and brutal to us, but we are humans, and can't comprehend the mind of an orruk/gobbo.

You obviously haven't visited the marshlands of Ulgu.  Don't worry, there's definitely no sprawling fimirach settlements hidden away in the mists.  Definitely just a myth, no point even checking really.

Look, a shiny!

Archived