AoS model kits that have impressed you

I'd have to say the Tree-Revenant kit myself.

All of GW's modern plastic kits have great detail and excellent engineering, but the design and assembly of the Tree-Revenant is just on another level. Plus it comes with so many options that I immediately wanted to buy another box just so I could play with them all (something very few kits manage to achieve). Just an amazing kit all around.

I've built a massive amount of Khorne recently some kits are amazing, one is quite lacking when considering how new they are though

• Starter set Khorne: all amazing, no issues at all.
  • Individual Khorne heroes (Gore Chosen etc): Again all amazing
  • Skull reapers / wrathmongers: barely any mould lines, not overly complicated, amazing kit (before AoS but still awesome)
  • Bloodwarriors: I've built 50 of these, not a good kit all for mould lines, so many small details which require a lot of cleaning work, the joins in the models are also in strange places, in the middle of shoulder pad details for example. 2 of the 5 boxes had very bad mould slip and had to be replaced as the models couldnt be salvaged. I just dont understand this kit when you compare the starter box warriors and how much better they are than the multipart ones.
  • The Mawcrusher was a great build, had some small gap filling on the end of the tail but nothing serious.
  • Judicators were okay to build, lots of mould lines running all the way around the bows though.
  • Paladins are a good kit, built at the start of AoS so cant remember the mould line situation.
  • Stormcast special characters: very good kits, no complaints here

some slighty older kits around The End Times

• Verminlord: requires a fair bit of gap filling and smoothing to remove all the joins in the skin, otherwise a great kit.
  • Glottkin: same with the Verminlord, fair bit of filling smoothing to sort the joins in the legs and body especially.
  • Thanquol and boneripper: Similar to the Verminlord except a lot of the joins are well hidden by the armour and accessories.
  • Archaon: Possibly the best kit GW have ever made, almost no gaps on the model, very light on mould lines and the kit is just a beast
  • Nagash: Great kit but the robe and spirits require some quite extensive gap filling and smoothing to get the overall finish the model deserves
  • Stormfiends: amazing kit, most of the gaps are hidden during building, the robes however do require some solid gap filling and smoothing

Not ro turn this negative, really more of a surprise in light of how much has been great lately, but I think the new scenery kits like the oculum and archway are some of the worst kits GW has made in decades. They are cool to look at but horrific to assemble. Huge gaps, bad fits, loads of putty needed. 

If they were $20 cheapies, fine, but they are not.  I expect better from GW these days.

Note to any GW ppl reading... I -wanted- to buy 3 or 4 of each kit to build a ruined part of an old arcane city for my table. Even at current prices I would have, but after assembling one of each I opted to drop the idea. I never want to assemble those kits again. Likely at least 6 kits left unsold.

As a consumer, the reason doesnt matter to me. My verminlord, my hunters, my garden of morr, and my ironclad all come from GW, all cost a pretty penmy, and all assemble like a dream. Worth every penny spent and every hour used assembling.

My archway? Still GW, still expensive, but inferior. Money and time not used wisely.

1 hour ago, Nico said:

Terry playing Destruction?

was a commission piece for someone.

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

oculum

The Occulum I built and converted for my Archaon base was the worst thing I've ever built in terms of gaps and the quality of the plastic used was so inferior. I used an entire pack of greenstuff and a good 2 days work building, filling, scraping and sanding it. these pictures dont even show half the work that went into "fixing" it and making it presentable lol

13754082_1603107569984612_31617095573935

13728973_1603107566651279_14153690624116

1 hour ago, Sleboda said:

Not ro turn this negative, really more of a surprise in light of how much has been great lately, but I think the new scenery kits like the oculum and archway are some of the worst kits GW has made in decades. They are cool to look at but horrific to assemble. Huge gaps, bad fits, loads of putty needed

Once again I agree with you here. Some of that terrain is pretty awful to assemble as per @Terry Pike's comments as well. Like you say, does look great when finally assembled and they paint up awesome but yeh...not fun to put together at all!

On 14.6.2017 at 11:50 AM, Chris Tomlin said:

I used to hugely prefer metal models, the heft and solidity were things I enjoyed myself; the weight of a 40 man metal Executioner was joy to hold in your hand(s).

But as you say, their time has passed and plastic is now King (talking purely GW here...other manufacturers are way behind, as to be expected).

@Forestreveries

I used to play Dark Elves back in the day and my army was collected from those old metal blisters, so I can relate. :D And to compare those old plastic monopose Dark Elf swordmen with what GW does nowadays. Sheesh!

I think my favorite model from current AoS range gotta be Slaughterpriest with hackblade and wrath-hammer. I love the pose and simple design, but it still looks very chaos-y and badass. Also, I have to say I started to appreciate Stormcast models more after painting first few of them. They are fun to paint with nice, clear shapes and easy to pick details. 

Archived