The big step into 8th edition 40k

5 hours ago, wayniac said:

I just plan to play both like I always wanted to and did some 20 years ago.  I have some friends that only play AOS, some that only play 40k and some that dabble in both like me, so I think I will be fine.

This is my situation as well.  I can reliably get both games including skirmish each week if I want.  It's amazing to see a version of 40k I actually want to play.  Next friday is my first game of AoS:Skirmish hybridized with 8th edition 40k.  A local store is having a midnight prerelease so a friend and I are showing up with some terrain at 9ish to do some 40k/AoS skirmish gaming using the store copy of the core rules pamphlet and the index books.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I got my demo copies of the box/rules etc I haven't had a single game of AoS played at my place whereas before AoS accounted for 80% of all sales/table time. New40k has captured the imagination and generated a buzz like I've never seen before. It also happens to be pretty awesome :)   AoS is gonna take a big hit and it will need the GHB2 to reignite interest imo

I tell a lie,had some guys from Newcastle Warlords getting some practice games in ahead of their Summer Slaughter tournament on thurs.

On 6/9/2017 at 1:34 PM, pseudonyme said:

Are you saying that you will play 40k: Skirmish? 

Yes.  I went through the Skirmish book looking for what needs to change for it to work with 40k and the only thing I can really come up with is renown = 5 points, start at 250 rather than 125 as some factions only have heroes that are quite expensive.  And use more terrain.

For me, I have all the 40k armies but it was just too darn much work to play 7th. I think I'll just get the starter box and the 5 index books. That will keep it simple like AOS and I don't crave all the combo complexity the new Codexes will bring.

I've painted GW miniatures since I was about 12 and dipped in and out since. I got into AoS due to the new models and easy access of the rules and play group. 8th has come at a perfect time where my SCE are nearly finished in terms of painting , I've nailed the rules and play styles of most of my army and I'm now ready to up the game a little with 8th.

Since the hype train started, it's literally taken me weeks to decide what I wanted.... more heavily armoured space heroes or something oddly niche. I floated from the new marines , to Tau, To Guard, back to marines annnnnnd finally went for Harlequins. I literally dived into my local GW and grabbed a shadowseer, two boxes of troupe and a starweaver to get me going. Now for painting the diamonds...... oh , and I can't wait to get into 8th! Starting with smaller power levels first off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, MacDuff said:

For me, I have all the 40k armies but it was just too darn much work to play 7th. I think I'll just get the starter box and the 5 index books. That will keep it simple like AOS and I don't crave all the combo complexity the new Codexes will bring.

So far your in luck, as to me there doesn't seem any crazy combo complexity, by large because it's in there but limited to Keywords. Which like MtG and AoS means combo's will only work in a seperate box and not for all.

Now it is quite likely that 40K too will have some undercosted pieces, this will all pan out in the next comming months. However overall speaking I do like what they have presented. A game that actually looks like WFB when you think about it.

In the few reports I have seen so far dedicated anti-vechicle units still are very relevant and I really like that GW has done this. While d6 damages are dicey it can add up quickly and even if your Str 8 and hammering down, 1 point of damage isn't going to contribute quickly. All Vechicles as a result seem relevant and I like that.

8th edition seems like they picked all the good things from previous editions, removed the worse things and blended it all in a game that on first sight seems great. Which is something I couldn't say on my first sight on AoS (even as someone who didn't play WFB for years at that point, restrictions have little to do with fun but make a game "leveled").

I'm worried that momentum for AoS will slow down in my area. I've been playing AoS since the beginning but only recently has there been enough interest to get an escalation league together. With 8th beating AoS at its own game in some respects I hope this won't mean all attention will be on 40k again, like it was couple of years ago. We'll see I guess, I'll certainly be playing both.

On 2017-6-12 at 1:33 PM, Nevvermore said:

I'm worried that momentum for AoS will slow down in my area. I've been playing AoS since the beginning but only recently has there been enough interest to get an escalation league together. With 8th beating AoS at its own game in some respects I hope this won't mean all attention will be on 40k again, like it was couple of years ago. We'll see I guess, I'll certainly be playing both.

I would only worry if GW sticks with the current AoS design. Good game design re-sets focus and typically pushes out a weaker system. In order for AoS to be relevant the game should stop revolving so much around hero-hunts + block smash. In other words, shooting phases, magic and summoning can learn a lot from 40K's design. Not only are they better equiped with a clear pro and con, they are also clearer as a rule and thus feel more logical.

2 hours ago, MacDuff said:

2 is always better than 1. Embrace the diversity ... But I still want to run AOS Lizardmen against 40K Guard when they unite the systems.

Absolutely! I too cant wait for the merge, granted I do believe it will still thake years, I expect it no earlier as 2020 or even 2025-26. Why that date you might ask? Well, big compagnies usually come up with a decade strategy and to me GW has revealed that newer plan the moment they put a Stormcast statue in front of HQ with a Age of Sigmar logo next to the Imperial Eagle. However AoS still has to proove itself and continue. Which is why I hope for better core rules in the GH2/2nd edition of AoS.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty bummed I decided to get into AoS when I did, as 40k is obviously going to take precedence because of its long standing bigger playerbase and because its new and shiny again in general. 

I couldnt get into 40k at all back when I was playing 8th ed fantasy, it seemed so dumbed down, banging two sets of troops down on opposite sides of the board and roll dice to see who got luckier. It seems they have definitely fixed alot of these issues though, so who knows, just disappointing for me as I have always been a fan of fantasy, and generally dislike scifi. 

What also blows my mind, is I went down to the local club last night, first time in years, and there was literally one game of 40k going on, 0 fantasy, but people were definitely jumping on the 40k bandwagon. Any mention of AoS though and I was kind of immediately shut down, even though people havent tried it, and there was a genuine feeling of dislike towards GW about it, however all is forgiven for 40k. Pretty annoying tbh. 

15 hours ago, Lincoln Hawk said:

I'm actually pretty bummed I decided to get into AoS when I did, as 40k is obviously going to take precedence because of its long standing bigger playerbase and because its new and shiny again in general. 

I couldnt get into 40k at all back when I was playing 8th ed fantasy, it seemed so dumbed down, banging two sets of troops down on opposite sides of the board and roll dice to see who got luckier. It seems they have definitely fixed alot of these issues though, so who knows, just disappointing for me as I have always been a fan of fantasy, and generally dislike scifi. 

What also blows my mind, is I went down to the local club last night, first time in years, and there was literally one game of 40k going on, 0 fantasy, but people were definitely jumping on the 40k bandwagon. Any mention of AoS though and I was kind of immediately shut down, even though people havent tried it, and there was a genuine feeling of dislike towards GW about it, however all is forgiven for 40k. Pretty annoying tbh. 

I wouldnt be too sure, GW has a good plan for AoS and the advantage AoS has is that it still is the new game. Which is not to say that 40K will be left alone but practically everything that is available is also out. It's a classic game that has all the tools for you but in turn does not really offer the same ammount of creative design space as AoS does. For example, many are awaiting the comming of the Primarchs. Its almost a given that this will be done. The question next is then what? More vechicles and designs that do not fit the excisting lore?
The biggest advantage of AoS is that in terms of creative space GW can go anywhere, I hope people dont forget that. 

If you like fantasy more then stick with your guns and play AoS. I think 40K is very cool, I will play 40K but I will still largely do so with the same approach that I have for AoS, being Khorne flavoured, this means Berzerkers and an ultimate goal to defeat oppossing pieces in melee. I feel that 40K has just made another step in the direction of WFB, which means its just another step closer to AoS aswell.
As mentioned elsewhere, IF another edition of AoS would re-introduce WS/BS/S/T you could start playing both in the same game... It's something they have played with in their narrative design from time to time (Chaos Gods and Daemons are the same in both systems) and I think that a goal for 2025 could be for GW to actually allow for a merged system (though not enforce it). 

Age of Sigmar really blew the old thoughts and approach out of the water. Change is good, too much change however is bound to upset people. To me the sole mistake AoS started out with is to go from 100+ pages of content to 6-ish. Imagne you go from earning 10000 dollar a month and go to 600. You'd be upset aswell ;).
Luckily the community in the larger sence was totally aware of this and as such a Generals Handbook was created. Arguably too late but hey it's there and it turned a lot of heads. What I believe GW underestimated is how even if you want to make your product PG 13 you should never underestimate the average knowledge of your customers and never underestimate how everyone is looking for something.
The advantage 40K has had from that experience is that they have essentially started out with a mix of Battletome's and kept the costing like the Generals Handbook, better put, kept the costing largely like 40K did. This is a great example of not trying to change up too much at once.

I was one of those guys who was upset with AoS' initial plan or lack thereof. I am also one of the guys who thinks the 40K approach is much and much better, for open, narrative and matched play. Why? Because:
- Power points are an ideal middle ground to give a suggestion of balance and restriction. It doesnt mean that they are balanced on the 1% but it means you and your opponent can easily figure out how much units piece A is compaired to piece B. The fact that AoS lacked this from the getgo made it very difficult to actually form a game.
Modular model design remained. To me all types of Warhammer had one advantage over most other systems and that was their modular design. It has now returned partially to AoS due to Battletome's but a game full of fantasy should contain Magical Items, race specific Magical Abilities and should allow you to create your own type of commander (Command Traits) as a possible reflection of the player (even). 
Warhammer started out with this D&D principle and despite AoS starting out as a community design aswell from the getgo all options to personify models where lost. A "magical game" without specific magical weapons and magical spells is just really not flavourful. In fact it makes narrative gaming very hard to do without it as the players in question would have to make up everything.
- Modular army design and integrated bonusses for everybody. Last but not least, AoS has some fantastic recent Battletome's who are fantastic for Khorne, Tzeentch, Stormcasts etc. but we still see that many of the older designs do not really spark any interest because they do not have the same type of modular army design. Be it trough a lack of units per sub-faction, lack of Battalions or more. 40K now has several force charts who basically allow for ANY set up to occur. This is amazing because unlike AoS we do not have a "shadowy invalidation of models". With the latter I mean that despite a lot of AoS designs being technically viable in a vacume they cannot obtain the same type of synergy as the newer books. For Death this is really showing now but for a lot of the older ranges applies the same. For example, running Chaos Warriors over Blood Warriors doesn't really give you a tactical advantage. You can do so but the flexability of unit A to B is severly limited by comparison. 

All in all, the prime reason for me to dive into 40K aswell has to do with a great start. A great start was something I cannot give to AoS. I really like it now and it's the models and art that drew me in. I'm starting to like the narrative but the system is still shaky. This is also confirmed by the competative results we see repeated. 7th ed 40K was in a similar position a few months ago.

16 hours ago, Kyriakin said:

I don't really like Sci-Fi/future stuff, and generally prefer fantasy/history.

That said. The idea of having a Death Korps of Krieg army gives me a semi...

As a fan of Rambo Catachan, go for it! If anything a regular human army force seems extremely viable to me in 40K. The reason for this is quite simple and that is that the 2nd WW tank&troops tactic actually can be applied in 40K now to great extend. Meaning you sometimes use your tank to brick in and other times you will use your troops. The combination of them screening each other is not only good or practicle it's an extremely viable resolution exclusive to Imperial Guard forces.

To me new 40K is largely about waves and hit and run tactics as it often allows you to set up a wave of Rapid Fire models to target others point blank. Even the mere Lasgun is worth somethig now as the Order to make them Rapid Fire 2 is completely legit.

The beauty of 40K in this edition largely also comes from the fact that you can technically wound anything, with this in mind the quantity becomes a factor. A quantity that IG forces have.

Archived