Slaanesh Daemonettes

High Warden

2 minutes ago, Tasman said:

I guess the only thing stopping any of us from doing those things is that we're not douchebags.... I'm pretty sure that the reason for this thread wasn't anything other than what, if any, rules/constraints apply to base sizes in particular, of daemonettes.  I fully intend to never rebase my lesser demons. I have waaay too many to waste my time putting them on slightly larger bases. For everyone else out there: do as you will. If ever our paths cross for a game, I'll be the last person in the world to say anything but compliments, if warrented, about the bases of your miniatures. The rule of cool applies here as well, I think.

Yeah, it's really only an issue for tournaments and such. I guess I just read people giving suggestions to purposefully base bloodletters on 25's and plaguebearers on 32's because one wants to get more hits and one wants to block etc. and then my instant response is to take it to the extreme to show why you need to shut it down before the escalating 'arms race' starts. :P 

If it's a case of needing to re-base I can see why you wouldn't want to. But if people are buying bloodletters and then going out of their way to get 25mm bases to put them on... well, don't be surprised if you see someone with a unit of 6ft hellblade wielding bloodletters asking to measure from weapons to models!

^^Sure, and your right. As much as I'm biting down on the bit, I'll probably end up having to re-base sometime in the (hopefully) far future. On the bright side, there's Elriks hobby that makes some base conversions, but not for all sizes as yet.

1 hour ago, Tasman said:

^^Sure, and your right. As much as I'm biting down on the bit, I'll probably end up having to re-base sometime in the (hopefully) far future. On the bright side, there's Elriks hobby that makes some base conversions, but not for all sizes as yet.

Depending on what the current bases are like I'd be thinking about just sticking most of them straight onto the 32's with some green stuff to make them be standing on a mound, vary the height, take some of them off and straight onto 32's for the variety, could save some time if you think it'd look good with what you have?

If you're playing full Slaanesh you're more likely to get away with having the wrong bases for longer than something like a Sylvaneth or Clan Skyre army though, just for the novelty factor! :P

15 hours ago, Gilby said:

Yeah, it's really only an issue for tournaments and such. I guess I just read people giving suggestions to purposefully base bloodletters on 25's and plaguebearers on 32's because one wants to get more hits and one wants to block etc. and then my instant response is to take it to the extreme to show why you need to shut it down before the escalating 'arms race' starts. :P 

If it's a case of needing to re-base I can see why you wouldn't want to. But if people are buying bloodletters and then going out of their way to get 25mm bases to put them on... well, don't be surprised if you see someone with a unit of 6ft hellblade wielding bloodletters asking to measure from weapons to models!

Its not taking it to extremes, dude. Its simple common sense. First of all, demonettes haven't been re-boxed onto 32s in any form. Second, since GW has sold, and still sells plaguebros and letters on both 25s and 32s. So why not use which ever base it is suited for that particular unit? That's not modelling for advantage its common sense. They have obviously presented you with options. If they didn't want you to have options they would have a rule or sheet of FAQ about which models belong on which base. In fact they went the opposite and stated measurements are model to model. Everyone I know plays base to base because model to model is effing stupid. But it does give you insight on how the company views bases. 

3 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Its not taking it to extremes, dude. 

Actually it kinda is.  The vocal minority tends to be the driver.

Otherwise we wouldn't have threads and podcasts about the "legality" of square bases.

For example when AoS first dropped the local,... "that guy" immediately started base stacking and the sourness within the community developed.  Also the old rule about a Tzeentch ability to just make a dice roll 13 coupled with a Skaven ability?  I don't recall the exact details as it was a couple years ago and I have two small little ones so my memory isn't sharp.  At any rate, those two things dominated the scene on FB groups and store chatter.  And one over them didn't even happen!?!  

5 hours ago, sal4m4nd3r said:

Its not taking it to extremes, dude. Its simple common sense. First of all, demonettes haven't been re-boxed onto 32s in any form. Second, since GW has sold, and still sells plaguebros and letters on both 25s and 32s. So why not use which ever base it is suited for that particular unit? That's not modelling for advantage its common sense. They have obviously presented you with options. If they didn't want you to have options they would have a rule or sheet of FAQ about which models belong on which base. In fact they went the opposite and stated measurements are model to model. Everyone I know plays base to base because model to model is effing stupid. But it does give you insight on how the company views bases. 

So where do you draw the line? 33mm? 35mm? 50mm? There has to be a point where you say, "That's ridiculous you can't play with a base that big/small." Yes for friendly games it is fine to say use common sense, I'm all for that, but if you try and have a competition with no rules regarding base sizes somebody will abuse it. And if you have a breaking point then you already sort of do have base size restrictions.

You suggest that the reason you can choose base sizes is because GW doesn't specify base sizes and gives you a choice. But then you follow that up by saying how everyone you know plays base to base rather than model to model (because it is stupid). Doesn't claiming GW's stance on bases and measuring distances is stupid invalidate your argument to use the fact that they supply two different sizes as a justification for choosing? Also the 25mm has always been in the box because it was for 40K and the models are still usable in 40K. The square ones were for fantasy and in the AoS re-release boxes these have been replaced with the 32mm ones, suggesting those are the ones for AoS (yeah they've not got around to the daemonettes yet so maybe 25mm is the 'correct' size for them and will be all they supply in a re-release).

There's always the possibility of them releasing a 'correct base size' list at some point and switching to the base to base measurement rules.

Archived