Lets Chat Wanderers / Wood Elves compendium

warhammernerd

10 hours ago, Lecfast said:

Being that I've always built armies as from a single sub-faction, but now we can bring in units from sylvanth, what is people's thoughts on a treeman or treeman ancient?

I figure with some sisters of the thorn and his good save he could become somewhat difficult for some enemies to move.

I use Treemen and TLAs fairly often, they can be good but their full potential is with full Sylvaneth armies. Still, standard Treelords got what, 20 points cheaper and Kurnoths are pricey now, so I'll probably use them. I might also get some Liberators with Shields just to throw on an objective. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wanderer Command Traits 

Friendly wanderer unit within 6" of the general can leave the battlefield and return from any board edge, still must be within 6" 

Enemy units can only attack general if he is the closest model

add 1 to hit rolls with missile weapon, get the hunting hawk if they have no missile weapon 

add 10" to range of missile weapon 

reroll hit rolls of 1 with melee weapon 

add 1 to casting and unbinding rolls if wizard, if not wizard they can unbind 

Artefacts 

roll d6 each time enemy unit moves within 12" of bearer on a 5+ they take a mortal wound

pick enemy unit within 20" on a 2+ they take a mortal wound on a 6 its d3 mortal wounds 

pick melee weapon, if enemy makes one or more successful save they take a mortal wound after all damage is resolved 

once per battle a returning unit can return within 18" of the bearer and wholly within 6" of any table edge 

add 1 to casting rolls of friendly wanderer wizard within 9"and subtract 1 from hit rolls from missile targeting this model

once per battle start at any combat phase enemy hero within 3" cannot pile in or attack or use abilities in the combat phase.

11 minutes ago, Baz said:

Wanderer Command Traits 

Friendly wanderer unit within 6" of the general can leave the battlefield and return from any board edge, still must be within 6" 

add 1 to hit rolls with missile weapon, get the hunting hawk if they have no missile weapon 

reroll hit rolls of 1 with melee weapon 

add 1 to casting and unbinding rolls if wizard, if not wizard they can unbind 

Artefacts 

roll d6 each time enemy unit moves within 12" of bearer on a 5+ they take a mortal wound

pick enemy unit within 20" on a 2+ they take a mortal wound on a 6 its d3 mortal wounds 

pick melee weapon, if enemy makes one or more successful save they take a mortal wound after all damage is resolved 

once per battle a returning unit can return within 18" of the bearer and wholly within 6" of any table edge 

add 1 to casting rolls of friendly wanderer wizard within 9"and subtract 1 from hit rolls from missile targeting this model

once per battle start at any combat phase enemy hero within 3" cannot pile in or attack or use abilities in the combat phase.

The movement related artefacts and traits and the not targetting the general seem the best options by far.

40 minutes ago, Baz said:

So if I understand this correctly, this prevents being targeted by a Thundertusk's Frost Wreathed Ice or any other special shooting ability as long as it has a listing under Missile Weapons on the warscroll? However, any damage spells or any abilities with no weapon listing like Heraldor trumpets will still go through, right?

53 minutes ago, Baz said:

Great for sending a unit on a flanking mission but also potentially interesting survival tool because the general could decide use this on himself to teleport out of danger to any side of the board. 

43 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

As good as the first two are, a Waywatcher general might be tempted to take either of these. 32" range is nothing to sneeze at, as is hitting on twos and getting extra attacks on 4s if the Waywatcher stays still.

8 minutes ago, awcamawn said:

As good as the first two are, a Waywatcher general might be tempted to take either of these. 32" range is nothing to sneeze at, as is hitting on twos and getting extra attacks on 4s if the Waywatcher stays still.

It seems tempting but damage output will not increase that much.. and the moving thingies can move whole unit of 30 gg in range early to deal tons of damage as an alpha strike. And a unit of EG to screen them so they can move back next turn, hopefully only loosing 80 points of EG or less. And a ww general means no nomad prince....(Who could teleport with the rest and the do not target me item to do his thing there).

Waywatcher Lord hitting on 2s and getting bonus attacks on 4s averages 5-6 wounds with -1 rending. That's amazing against wizards and other characters. I run 3 or 4 Waystalkers with a Hurricanum for this. :D

The once per game denying an enemy hero his combat phase will be amazing against Bloodthirsters, Dragons, Mawcrushers, etc. The can't be targeted unless closest model will be amazing against Thundertusks and other shooting in general. But yeah, other than those, the mobility stuff is where it's at. 

Excited to see that these are definitely worth having over the generic Order stuff. Definitely incentivised to play pure Wanderers now!

I'm going to try the Trait where you come on any table edge (not specifically yours) and I don't think I'm taking EG any longer.  I don't want a static gun line with a defensive string in-front.  

I'll focus on my units being harder to pin down and perhaps use Warhawk Riders for objectives.  

I'm also thinking the retreat from combat pushes me towards 20 GG instead of using Waywatchers to fill my BL.  Maybe even 30.

I guess it comes down to the scenarios and such.

15 hours ago, Tidings said:

Waywatcher Lord hitting on 2s and getting bonus attacks on 4s averages 5-6 wounds with -1 rending. That's amazing against wizards and other characters. I run 3 or 4 Waystalkers with a Hurricanum for this.

The Hurricanum is 380 now, when do you get 400 ally points?

31 minutes ago, Popisdead said:

The Hurricanum is 380 now, when do you get 400 ally points?

I haven't played with the new points or rules yet, I obviously won't be able to do that any more. :(

Regarding more mobile lists, I'm planning to try the same thing. More Warhawks, Wardancers and Eagle Lords. 

26 minutes ago, Tidings said:

I haven't played with the new points or rules yet, I obviously won't be able to do that any more. :(

Regarding more mobile lists, I'm planning to try the same thing. More Warhawks, Wardancers and Eagle Lords. 

Oh I haven't either I was just looking out for that one cause I was keen to get it.  I think with the mobility thing I want archers backed by fighty.  I even though about Wildriders becoming kinda handy.

I totally forgot about Wardancers, they are cheap and great and not having to be locked into CC is better for them.

Take charge, fight with large unit of GG, and Wardancers behind them, melt away with both and move away your turn, then both re-appear on a different board edge then shoot with GG next turn.

Something to try at least.  My issue is I worry this play goes back to not fun for my opponent.  I wonder if we'll see lots of small chaff like single Razorgors or whatever to hold key table edge spots vs Wanderers even if they become a serious army again.

20 hours ago, Popisdead said:

I'm going to try the Trait where you come on any table edge (not specifically yours) and I don't think I'm taking EG any longer.  I don't want a static gun line with a defensive string in-front.  

I'll focus on my units being harder to pin down and perhaps use Warhawk Riders for objectives.  

I'm also thinking the retreat from combat pushes me towards 20 GG instead of using Waywatchers to fill my BL.  Maybe even 30.

I guess it comes down to the scenarios and such.

With the current high mobility in armies I think even teleporting units can often be charged, EG screen might be cheaper than letting that happen. 

Hurricane is 380 and you can have 400 points.  So maybe staying a bit static isn't a terrible idea, and yeah EG which are BL now will be an okay option for people.  You can toss in a Gryphhound to pair with some sisters of the watch and still be under 400 points of allies.

Also Rangers are only BL if Wayfinder still.  I guess the french version has a typo.

3 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Hurricane is 380 and you can have 400 points.  So maybe staying a bit static isn't a terrible idea, and yeah EG which are BL now will be an okay option for people.  You can toss in a Gryphhound to pair with some sisters of the watch and still be under 400 points of allies.

Also Rangers are only BL if Wayfinder still.  I guess the french version has a typo.

How much points is a gryph hound? Can it fit with a 380 hurricane in 400 points? Wasn't it like 40?

4 hours ago, Popisdead said:

Not sure if wanderers can ally with Collegiate Arcane and keep their wanderer allegiance abilities.  It looks like we will one again have to take order alliance to get access to Hurricanum, gryph hounds, etc.  We do get to Ally with sylvaneth though, and I very much like the idea of Durthu appearing on a board edge in my enemy's back flank 

34 minutes ago, Cambot1231 said:

Not sure if wanderers can ally with Collegiate Arcane and keep their wanderer allegiance abilities.  It looks like we will one again have to take order alliance to get access to Hurricanum, gryph hounds, etc.  We do get to Ally with sylvaneth though, and I very much like the idea of Durthu appearing on a board edge in my enemy's back flank 

That's a good point, can you get a Loremaster for 100 and maybe a TLA?  Ideally you'd want a Durthu but he's 400.

1 hour ago, Cambot1231 said:

Gryphhounds are stormcast and we can ally with them. Hurricane can't be allied with.

HEY OUR BATTLEBANNER NOW HAS A NEW AND BETTER ABILITY !!!!!!!

Banner of the Forests: In your hero phase, you can declare that this model will plant his standard in the ground. If you do so, you may not move this model until your next hero phase. Roll a dice for each enemy unit within 10". On a 4+, halve that unit’s Move characteristic (rounding up) until the start of your next hero phase.

OW... but all compendium units lost wanderer keyword.

Orion became avatar of the hunt

All compendium lords lost their command ability.

It's not even an army anymore really.. can only be used in general order armies anyway so you can always take wanderer stuff with it.. but not the otherway around.

Man I REALLY hope they let wardancers come back.. if they bring out a kit like the harlequins they'd look awesome.

13 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

HEY OUR BATTLEBANNER NOW HAS A NEW AND BETTER ABILITY !!!!!!!

Banner of the Forests: In your hero phase, you can declare that this model will plant his standard in the ground. If you do so, you may not move this model until your next hero phase. Roll a dice for each enemy unit within 10". On a 4+, halve that unit’s Move characteristic (rounding up) until the start of your next hero phase.

OW... but all compendium units lost wanderer keyword.

Orion became avatar of the hunt

All compendium lords lost their command ability.

It's not even an army anymore really.. can only be used in general order armies anyway so you can always take wanderer stuff with it.. but not the otherway around.

Man I REALLY hope they let wardancers come back.. if they bring out a kit like the harlequins they'd look awesome.

They are basically mercenaries to play with the "allies side points".

Just now, Cerve said:

They are basically mercenaries to play with the "allies side points".

Do they work as allies? Do our woodelves have them as allies? Or can we just take them in a general order army if we give up the allegaince abilities.

3 minutes ago, Aezeal said:

Do they work as allies? Do our woodelves have them as allies? Or can we just take them in a general order army if we give up the allegaince abilities.

Both. You will have 400 points of allies (2000 points army) to spend out of your allegiance without losing your allegiance. So basically you can play Wanderers with up to 400 points of these WoodElves. 

But they will not Wanderers too for the sake of abilites and other rules. You just don't lose the Allegiance.

Or you can play the Allegiance: Order and play what you want.

Ps: Waywatcher now cost 80 points per 5 models (not 3), but they are not Battlelines anymore. 

14 minutes ago, Cerve said:

For the most part I'm keeping the original PDFs as I'm not playing tournaments and it's not enough of an issue locally for people to care if Wardancers lose their Wanderer Keyword.

39 minutes ago, Cerve said:

Both. You will have 400 points of allies (2000 points army) to spend out of your allegiance without losing your allegiance. So basically you can play Wanderers with up to 400 points of these WoodElves. 

But they will not Wanderers too for the sake of abilites and other rules. You just don't lose the Allegiance.

Ps: Waywatcher now cost 80 points per 5 models (not 3), but they are not Battlelines anymore. 

I do not think this is correct. Wanderers have a specific set of allies.. and these keywords do not match.

http://p7.storage.canalblog.com/74/39/357069/117055122.jpg

Archived