2k Flesh Eaters competitive list

Riyathe

Hi folks, im putting togerther a 2k competitive FEC list after buying the battletome and reading the formations etc. I also have a few crypt horrors/vargheists and a varghulf from square base days to build upon. This is what im thinking, would appreciate your thoughts. ANyhting this list will struggle with etc:

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon    400

Crypt Ghast Courtier    80

Crypt Haunter Courtier    120

Varghulf Courtier x 2    320

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 10    100

Crypt Horrors x 6    280

Ghoul Patrol    100

Total:2000pts

The idea being the ghoul patrol comes on to harrass and hopefully secure backfield objectives (big enough units to hopefully not get alpha'd off the board) while the other unit of 10 ghouls and 6 horrors hold objectives in my territory. It seems a lot of people tend to the ghoul king on TG but i feel there is more synergy putting him on ZD as general so he can bring back any of the courtier's (namely varghulfs). of course losing the additional save from not having him on a TG isnt great but i think a sacrifice worth making.

Weakness may be in lack of Big monsters..no mournghul/TG/ZG's other than the lord but i think the varghulfs are pretty meaty and given trhey can be resummoned by the GKoZD should be ok.#

The way i see FEC working best is with a ton of ghouls and courtiers from the top (GK) down through Varghulfs/courtiers to the ghouls but not sure if the idea equates well to the table. I did look at adding a necromancer for danse macabre or having another GK on foot but i think i need that extra 10 ghouls in my territory for objectives.

i havent really played with summoning much so wasnt aware i would need to set aside points for more courtiers. so if a varghulf i have already paid for died i couldnt resummon him for free with the GK0ZD?. If that is the case maybe the terrorgeist would be better.

3 minutes ago, Riyathe said:

i havent really played with summoning much so wasnt aware i would need to set aside points for more courtiers. so if a varghulf i have already paid for died i couldnt resummon him for free with the GK0ZD?. If that is the case maybe the terrorgeist would be better.

Nope, all new units need to be paid for out of your summoning pool, which you have to subtract from your total. You don't pay for regeneration however, so bringing Ghouls back with a Courtier or the Ghoul Patrol is free, but if the unit is wiped out, you would have to pay to summon a new unit with a Ghoul King on foot.

18 minutes ago, Riyathe said:

can them ghoul patrol units get bigger than they started at, like a unit of 20 grows bigger in the next hero phase( i guess there is still a maximum being the unit max size)?

Negatory on that as well. Regenerating can never take a unit over its starting size, even if that is smaller than the max unit size. So 20 is the maximum size of that unit.

16 minutes ago, Grimnaud said:

Negatory on that as well. Regenerating can never take a unit over its starting size, even if that is smaller than the max unit size. So 20 is the maximum size of that unit.

Thanks, good to know. Looking forard to getting all these ghouls on the table, i imagine its going to be an awesome sight 70 ghouls causing carnage all over the  board :)

This is a list that I might be running at blood and glory its based around 2 formations but in short the 3 ghoul kings go around killing stuff heal D3+1 each hero phase and when they die they have the ring of immortality to bring them back to life , there's also 160pts in summoning so I could bring a vargulf on with a command ability or try to summon carn wraiths depending on the scenario.

LEADERS
Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon (400)
- General
- Artefact : Ring of Immortality
- Command Trait : Red Fury

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)

Crypt Ghast Courtier (80)
UNITS
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
BATTALIONS
Royal Menagerie (60)
Ghoul Patrol (100)

I like the look of that list dodgy, my only concern is in the lack of bodies to cover objectives, if your opponent focuses on getting rid of the ghouls i dont think it would be too hard to put you in a place where you cannot score objectives because of lack of bodies. For example a bonesplitterz arrow boy list or Kurnoth hunter/hurricanum list (basically any strong gunline list just shoots them off in a turn)

25 minutes ago, DodgyRoller said:

This is a list that I might be running at blood and glory its based around 2 formations but in short the 3 ghoul kings go around killing stuff heal D3+1 each hero phase and when they die they have the ring of immortality to bring them back to life , there's also 160pts in summoning so I could bring a vargulf on with a command ability or try to summon carn wraiths depending on the scenario.

LEADERS
- General
- Command Trait : Red Fury

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Terrorgheist (400)

UNITS
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
Crypt Ghouls x 10 (100)
BATTALIONS
Royal Menagerie (60)
Ghoul Patrol (100)

Can you use a Royal Menagerie with mounted behemoths?, reading the battalion warscroll i interpret it as unmounted monsters only. 

33 minutes ago, Riyathe said:

Can you use a Royal Menagerie with mounted behemoths?, reading the battalion warscroll i interpret it as unmounted monsters only. 

I would as well. However, there is a precedence in the FAQ stating that as long as the unit has the relevant keywords it fulfils the requirement of the battalion.

I do like crypt horrors though, they hit like a tonne of bricks. Ghoul king on foot is also good value not necessarily because of the strength he brings, but the re-rolls for the ghouls and the horrors can be brutal. I would consider dropping something for another ghoul king. I haven't played with the Varghulf before but you have a load of replenishing here and you may not need it all (ghoul patrol bring back d6, ghast courtier brings back really easily, then you have your Varghulf for both). I would consider....

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Zombie Dragon    400 (clock of mist and shadows, red fury) - get him near the ghoul patrol ghouls as they come on so they benefit from his re-roll 1's to hit bubble - plus the spell gives you re-roll to wound. 

Crypt Ghast Courtier    80 - I would drop this

Crypt Haunter Courtier    120 - I'd also be tempted to drop this with the Varghulfs in the right position

Varghulf Courtier x 2    320 (could take ring of immortality on one of these if you are concerned about keeping them alive)

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200

Crypt Ghouls x 20    200 (make this another unit of 20)

Crypt Horrors x 6    280

Ghoul King on foot - 100 (to create another re-roll bubble - position on the other side of the table to the GKoZD

Ghoul Patrol    100

Total:2000pts

You could stick with 70 ghouls and take another GK - 3 in a 2000 point list would make for some lovely re-rolls

The key to these lists is positioning - keep your units near your ghoul kings for the rerolls and your courtiers near the units for replenishing. Ghoul kings' spells will also let you re-roll.

If you can I would squeeze another unit of horrors in there and I would take them in 3's although other's may disagree. I had a unit of 3 do 8 wounds first turn to a Bloodthirster.

Another thing to consider (I've not tried it yet) is a necromancer - if you can get over the non-fluffy aspect. His spell allows a MORDANT unit (all ghouls) to pile in and attack twice in your phase - so cast on one of those horror units, re rolls 1's to hit, re-rolls to wound can do some serious damage

This is a solid list...I run something very similar myself.  The Ghouls are great at capturing and holding objectives with their regeneration ability.  However, in my experience you may struggle with deploying them and most likely won't be able to get to your opponents backfield.  This list struggles against armies with a lot of shooting attacks and war machines. Lastly,  this list is lacking any units with rend.  The Horrors do hit like a ton of bricks, but can easily get bogged down by high armour save units.  Your GKoZD can't be everywhere and is too important to use as an aggressive offensive weapon.

Maybe drop one unit of Gouls and the Haunter Courtier for a Beasts of the Grave Terrorgheist.  Give one of your Varghulfs the Sword of Unholy Power and summon the Terrorgheist 18" forward.  Use his scream attack in the shooting phase and charge him into your opponents army.  This will cause chaos for a turn or two taking the attention off your general and courtiers. The other option is to keep the TG in reserve to target those high armour save units and disrupt your opponents movements and board control.

Just some food for thought.

6 hours ago, Grimnaud said:

I would as well. However, there is a precedence in the FAQ stating that as long as the unit has the relevant keywords it fulfils the requirement of the battalion.

Are you sure about this? Could you tell me where to find such FAQ? It would open quite a bit of new ways to my playing.

EDIT: found. GH rules FAQ, pag.6, second colomn 4th question.

Hi everyone

After reading this getting slightly worried about my own list now haha but think I have a gd first strike pincer with the ghouls and Terrorgheist and then flayers and ZD to hit the rest . . . What do u think ? 

VLoZD (440)
General
Spear, shield, chalice
Cursed book
Ruler of the Night

AGKoZD (400)
Cloak of mist and shadows 

Varghulf Courtier (160)

Units

10 ghouls (100)

10 ghouls (100)

10 ghouls (100)

9x crypt flayers 

Formation 

Ghoul patrol 

Total 1960/2000

I've only finished 6 flayers so tempted to change them to crypt horrors instead not sure . 

What do u think ? 

Cheers 

Simon 

Flayers seem to be overall a bit better than Horrors (1 extra attack, rend, chance for a mortal wound) at the cost of less damage output (1 damage as opposed to 2).  I think the jury is out as far as which one is "best", I like the Horrors but they fall flat against anything with any sort of armor due to no rend (trying to get through a unit of Chaos Warriors with Mystic Shield is sad times indeed); I might experiment with flayers next (I only have 3 and a courtier, as opposed to 6 horrors plus courtier).

Good lists, personally I prefer running ghouls as 30s, for survivability and to ensure I can always get the 20 buff.

Also, just as an idea, I have had great results adding in a necromancer for the fall in and attack again. Yea, not a FEC but I've had to roll over 100 dice before and melted an army with a unit of ghouls and the various buffs. Same with the necro and horrors, just toooooons of wounds. 

Archived