Pearlescent effect paint

Hey guys,

With the upcoming Idoneth Deepkin release on the horizon, I hae been thinking about colour schemes and different paint effects.

I was wondering whether anyone knows of pearlescent paint? It doesn't have to be a citadel paint.

I think it would be a really cool effect for some of the full-covering face masks on the Idoneth.

Thanks in advnace :)

Don't know of any myself but perhaps you could try something like swirling a little stormhost silver into an off-white like pallid wych flesh, but without mixing it fully so that you still get some streaks and hints? That might just end up a dirty mess of course! xD

28 minutes ago, RuneBrush said:

I'd second Vallejo Metallic Medium.  Best way to describe it, is a transparent metallic paint.  You can use it neat or add it to a colour, such as a white or pale cream to create a mother of pearl effect.

Do you mix it in the pallet or do you mean by layering?

Btw, thanks for the help everyone :)

9 minutes ago, Gwill_of_the_Woods said:

Do you mix it in the pallet or do you mean by layering?

Btw, thanks for the help everyone :)

Either would work, depending on what effect you're after.  Mixing it with a paint on the palette should give that paint a metallic/pearlescent finish when applied to the mini.  Laying it on would allow you to control where the pearlescent effect was applied.  You could actually do both, and use the medium to paint swirls or highlights on top of a slightly pearlescent base :)

I second the use of metallic mediums, as they are quite nice to use.  Some will lighten the color you are using (as you are diluting the pigment), so keep that in mind.  You can also have some success with just mixing a metallic paint with the color you want to add some sparkle, but definitely try out ratios as the color can change a bit based on how much you use.

I've used the Chameleon paints from greenstuff world.  They're pretty good and really easy to apply, i dont think metallic mediums give the same effect at all.

Here is a video showing it on the wings of my dragon, the effect is hard to capture and looks better in person though.  

Hey man I’m adding my voice to the green stuff world chameleon paint line, however I want to add some of my experiences:

- you need to apply with and airbrush if your covering large flat areas

- use a gloss black under coat first and then after applying the paint apply a gloss varnish for a more dramatic colour shift.

-if you want paint that is better you need to go to lacquer  based colourshift paints. They need a lot of equipment and safety gear to use but the effect is significantly more effective than the acrylics from green stuff world.

Archived